USAA Software Developer & Integrator III Interview Questions | Glassdoor

USAA Software Developer & Integrator III Interview Questions

Updated Dec 1, 2016

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

While in graduate school, I attended a job fair where USAA was attending. After talking to them and giving them my resume, they called me later that same day to set up an initial interview for the next day. One week after that, I was notified via email that I had made it to the next

Interview Questions

• How would you go about building an app that streamlines the process of filing an insurance claim with multiple files and file types?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for USAA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at USAA (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I gave my resume to a recruiter during the career fair. They reached out to me, and I got an information session interview. Made it to the 2nd round. They had me do a group interview, and then an individual interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Two Parts: The first was a situational scenario that required critical thinking and analytical thinking to solve the specific case study or problem. The second part was more technical and tested actual knowledge of software developers.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you?
      What do you know about this company?
      What do you find easy that others don't?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of the following events in this order: Arrive at USAA Visitor's Lobby (8am), Breakfast (8:15am), Executive Welcome Address (8:30am), Situtational Interview (9am), Technical Interview (11am), Candidate Benefits Presentation/Lunch (12:15pm), Nexus/Aspire Presentation (12:30pm), IT Department Overview (1:15pm), USAA Building Tour (2pm), Transportation to Aiport (3:30pm).

I enjoyed the whole day, the only real serious part was the technical interview. The rest of the day was just fun! Even the Situational Interview was fun. Of course, you do have to behave like a professional, but the environment is very welcoming at USAA.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to design and explain in detail the layout of a mobile application for ordering pizza.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Plano, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

First I did an interview with a recruiter at a job fair. This interview took about an hour. I was then called back for an onsite interview in Plano Texas. The night we arrived for the interview, we went out to a nearby restaurant with employees and other interviewees in the group. At the onsite interview we did a group process interview to see how we worked with others, and then a more technical interview with a manager.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you did something different from what everyone else was doing? (I can't remember the question exactly, but it was something similar to that)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process itself was not bad. I had one interview on campus and another at their headquarters in San Antonio. They paid for travel expenses and had a number of tours and informational sessions along with the three on-site interviews. This process was fine and it was nice to see the campus and tour it, although I think some of the events lasted a bit too long.

However, the people who were given as contact points for questions after the on-site interview were very unprofessional. I had another offer come in and inquired to the status of my application and was told that USAA knew they wanted to make me an offer but they needed a bit longer to get things together. I was told I would hear from them no later than two business days. Two weeks later, I had not heard anything and no one had contacted me or returned my emails/call (one or two emails and one call, so nothing crazy).

Finally, I hear from them about three weeks after they had said I would in a generic auto-generated rejection email. I found it incredibly unprofessional that they "verbally" gave me an offer only to end up sending me a rejection letter over three weeks after the date they gave me.

Interview Questions

• They had a few simple math word problems that I had to solve in each interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Omaha, NE) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. Met them at a job fair, did an initial interview, had a second group interview at dinner that night after the fair. A few days later I got a call that they were going to fly me to San Antonio for a final round of interviews, received an offer in about a week and a half. Accepted offer. It was all very straightforward. They like to test your ability to work with others, so if you know how to interact in a group that is very helpful. Most questions were not even related to the job, they were about your ability to learn and fit in with their corporate family. They may give you some brain puzzles like in a group fill out a really hard sudoku puzzle, they don't care how you do on the puzzle so much as how you interact with your group and work together to achieve best possible outcome.

Interview Questions

• Do you think that you could fit in with a large company like USAA?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied for a full-time position through a University job fair. I signed up for an on-campus interview the next day. The interview was about 30 minutes long. It was very casual. They asked 3 problem-solving questions. The first one is a logic puzzle in which they ask you to put things in order (B comes before A, C must come last, D is not second, etc....). The other two questions were design problems. How would you design an online ap with certain features. These questions are designed to test your problem solving abilities as well as your creativity. The questions are timed. The rest of the interview was asking about experience and projects.

I was contacted about 2 weeks later and invited to San Antonio for second round interviews. They treated us very well. All the plans were made by a coordinator (air, hotel, most of the transportation). It was nice that I didn't have to worry about anything. And they repaid me for the ride from the airport to the hotel.

They put us up in the Omni hotel right on the river walk. It was a great room. They took us all to dinner at the hotel restaurant that night. It was a fabulous meal. There were several employees there to interact with us. The point of the dinner was to put us at ease and give us a chance to ask all the questions we wanted. It was a nice evening.

The next morning a bus picked us up and took us to the headquarters where breakfast was waiting for us. They split the group (of 20) into two groups--morning interviews and midmorning interviews. While the first group was interviewing, the second group was given a quick tour and a benefits presentation. Then we swapped. The interview was the same as the first interview--except a little more involved. I met with two engineers who held the "tech" test and interview. They asked the same kind of questions--logic and problem solving. The interview lasted about an hour.

After the interviews were over they fed us lunch. Then they gave us a tour of the full facility. It was very impressive. They collected our receipts for reimbursement. Had us fill out a little paperwork. Then gave us a ride back to the airport. Overall a very positive experience.

Two weeks later I was offered a position. I was given two weeks to respond.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a mobile ap for people who are not able to enter text but the page has a lot of text entry boxes? Or something along those lines....   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was not an option but the process was very smooth and simple. The benefits package is fantastic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Handed a recruiter my resume during a career fair, and received a phone call that evening. First interview was on campus. Very professional interview, but not too formal. I actually thought I did pretty poorly. Received a congratulatory email about a week later, and was then was flown out to San Antonio HQ for dinner and second interview. The trip was pretty amazing, and the overall impression I got from the company far surpass my expectations. Was told that I would be contacted with in two weeks, and would be told if I got the job or not. I think that pretty professional, because most companies would not be so courteous. It's coming up on two weeks soon, and have yet to hear from them. Hopefully that's a good thing and I get an offer. There's no doubt I would be happy to take it! I'm going to say no, that I didn't get an offer, because they don't give you a still waiting option on this website.

Interview Questions

• If you are like me already on this site before your interview, then you don't need any more help with the questions. Just be prepared to think on your feet, and not freeze up. The second round of interview are more open ended, and I think that was were I could have done better. I would still say my second interview was better than my first though.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Simple, casual, and fun. You have group exercises to see how well you work with others and how well you make your teammates look. There is also a technical interview with 2 interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Sudoku, Story prioritization, etc...   1 Answer