USAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017

2.8

Adjuster -Phoenix Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Initial phone interview went overall really well. Though felt it was odd to be asked "what do you know about USAA". My answer was corrected with the variety of "banking and financial services" they offer. I marked it up to not verbalizing knowledge of USAA. In my fortune she saw past that and I was offered an in person interview. She sent an email that evening which had a video and documents mostly information benefits..its a great idea to memorize video 4 the interview.

The in person interview was set only two business days later. Honestly..there was too much of a rush to study and memorize interview points especially if you work fulltime and have family.
    (keep in mind they want you to know and understand how raises are and EVERYTHING on the video they send you about the comlany* so it seems) I happen to watch it all the way through before the HR assistant emailed .

In the in person interview I was ask "What do you remember about the video" well..it was over a week prior, again a loaded question.

Anyway at the interview.. the HR manager was very stale in personality..not exactly a good feel with USAA.

Upon arrival the HR lobby /interview rooms were not very well air conditioned. Make sure you wear "breathable" professional attire. (HR will remind you to wear prof. Attire in a reminder email).
    Bad:
     interview started 30 minutes late even though they ask you there 20 min early. The room had two men, a note taker and the HR manager of which both were very unfriendly! The attitude was more hype about how great Usaa is and a series of questions. My answers made no difference on hiring. It was obvious the hr manager was very condescending. I wanted to walk out immediately. It felt very gender bias..again the hr manager tone was condescending.
    I have applied at three other competitors since USAA. I was extremely excited for the interview but now I can not look at USAA in the same light. This interview DID NOT make the company look attractive.

Interview Questions

• what do you remember about the video?
      What excites you about working in a call center???   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at USAA (Stillwater, OK) in September 2015.

Interview

It was the hardest interview I ever had. They gave me a packet with different problems that I had to try to solve. It was timed, and my nerves didn't help. I'm not sure what I was supposed to gain from the test packet, but it made the whole interview process a miserable time for me.

Interview Questions

• How would I figure out a password to a locked computer using the 8 digits provided. I was supposed to be able to put the numbers in a certain order based on a word problem.   1 Answer

Event Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

Got an email stating they received my application. The job closed and I never heard further from them although the form letter clearly outlined what steps to expect. I have since applied for jobs where I have much more hands on experience and have been rejected outright. My resume is tailored I guess the guy who I used for referral doesn't want a bonus that much. I am stumped and would REALLY like to know what disqualified me. Nothing was said to encourage me to keep trying just wish me the best in my future plans.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to be patient with the process.   1 Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Tampa, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

The phone interview was short and to the point. Passed to a in-person interview and the 2 people who interviewed me was very personable and friendly but they asked nothing but past experience and scenarios questions.

Interview Questions

• What has your past job experiences taught you that will make you succeed with this company.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USAA in July 2014.

Interview

There were test, interviews, background checks, drug test. It was difficult and uncomfortable. They don't pay very well. There are two interviews, one with a HR rep, and the other with two hiring managers. They expect a lot out of you for very little pay.

Interview Questions

• From start to finish this has been the most extensive interviewing process I have ever gone through. I’ve interviewed for professional/executive type positions from sales, to medical, to human resources, and nothing has compared to this process. This is definitely a long, tedious measure for such a low position. The way these proceedings went you would think I was applying to be a director at a hospital or something. I mean this is ridiculous.
      My application was filled out online July 2nd. I received an email days later to take an assessment and a personality test. This was very extensive. At the end of the assessment, they ask you to take practice calls with a recording. If you pass, you move on. I did. I received a call August 6th to schedule an interview with a human resources recruiter. I completed that first interview with HR. The questions asked were easy: what is your availability? Can you offer a quiet/distraction free work area in your house? Are you available for training in Killeen? Tell me about your work experience. Can you work every Saturday? Tell me about yourself, ect. ect. ect….This interview lasted about 20 minutes.
      Then I received another call about 2 days later to schedule my interview with the hiring managers. I had it scheduled for Aug 21. On Tuesday Aug 19th I received an email with instructions to fill out a background check application (which is quite a process in itself) they needed documentation of everything. They use a company called Hire Right. This company is terrible and pretty much make you do your own background check. USAA is wasting money by using them. Then I received an email with an appointment to take a drug test.
      On the 21st my interview happened over the phone with two hiring managers. One was asking the questions and the other was taking notes. This interview lasted an hour. It was very “formalish” and uptight. The interviews did not use any technique to make you feel comfortable.
      The questions in the first 30 minutes: What is your perception of a call center? Tell me what you liked about your job? What did you not like about it? What is your experience with sales? What would your previous employer critique or criticize you about? What is your sales style? How do you approach selling something or a service to someone? If we called people you worked with in the past what would they say about you? What are your thoughts about this job, tell me what you think it will be like? What are your thoughts on USAA? How are you prepared for this position, i.e. does everyone in the family know you cannot be bothered at work, do you have a private area in your house? What have you done in the past that can prepare you for this type of work? What kind of problems do you think you will face with this job being a call center type job?
      Then the formal behavioral based questioned took up the rest of the interview, along with a more detailed explanation of the job. Questions: Tell me a time you had to sell something to someone who had objections? Tell me a time you had to handle a disgruntled customer? Tell me a time you had to make changes from the normal way of doing things to make a sale? Tell me a time that you sold something? There were too many questions to remember all of them. But that’s the jist of it.
      A couple of days later I was offered the job over the phone by the HR recruiter. She offered me 34,000 a year. I accepted.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate. I met all of their "preferred" rather than minimum requirements and qualifications and was still only offered 34,000 a year. I have two degrees a B.A. and A.S, I am a veteran, a military spouse, with years of experience, compared to just a spouse with a H.S. diploma and yet we make the same amount of money.

Mortgage Originator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2012.

Interview

USAA is a great place for customer service for its members however, for those who wish to work there the process is very convoluted and disorganized at best.
    I originally applied for a Consumer Lending position to get my foot in the door. USAA is supposed to be a strong supporter of those transitioning from the military but to see how their HR staff fail to communicate any part of the process is a huge let down. I have just completed 20 years of active duty service and my bachelor's degree and throughout the entire process, HR staff were not available at all to return phone calls or answer emails to give a status update.
    In early April 2012, I applied and initially moved smoothly to the phone interview phase which consisted of basic behavioral and customer service questions. My position in the military was all customer service so this was not a problem. Within 7 days, I advanced to the in-person interview which consisted of 2:1 in-depth behavioral questioning, as well as situational response. Within a day after completing the interview, I was moved to the next step, background and drug screen. The HR emailed with the directions to fill out forms and complete the drug screen but never sent the information to complete the actions. I attempted multiple times over a week's time to contact with no success and when I did finally contact her, she told me the position was already filled and asked if I would apply for a Mortgage Originator position instead.
    After applying for the position, I quickly moved through the process. Before interviewing, she sent me the background check and drug screen information, completing this before either interview phase. After finishing both interviews, everything except one location of my background check came back clear (it should have since I was a military police officer), and I was emailed that upon return of the check, I would be extended an offer.
    After only 3 business days, the HR emailed stating the position I was applying for was filled AGAIN and to apply for an insurance position. I then spent the next 10-14 days trying to get in touch with her to speak in person with no success. Just yesterday, May 23, I received an email stating she would keep my information on file for future possibilities.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had an irrate person to deal with due to mistrust and failed actions and how you overcame the situation. What was the result?   2 Answers

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

Very tough interview process. Questions are predictable for the position, but the interviewers gave no feedback or expressions so it was impossible to tell whether I was doing well or not. Very professional as expected, but the long wait time and lack of feedback make it hard to know how well I did.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Never even got one. I really want to work for this company, while I am on a relocation for my spouse, who is beginning with them as a Manager. I had an official referral from another contact and Manager in the company, another referral from a Director and informed them my spouse was about to start with them as a Manager...Yet, I was ruled out from a position I applied to, because of the results of a computerized assessment test. Granted, my experience level and qualifications likely made me overqualified for the position, but I was not even contacted, in person, to discuss this position or any other possibilities. Upon contacting a person in recruiting about feedback, I was only told I could not be given any information about the results of the assessment, and that I could not try to apply again for 6 months! I have been a top performer in my claims adjuster role, for years, yet I am ruled out by a computer assessment test, after having been referred by management level personnel??

Decision Science Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Applied Online, took about 1 week before an email to schedule a phone interview.
    In total two phone interviews lasting 30 minutes then an invite to USAA Campus.
    The Process was simple and smooth.

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USAA (Atlanta, GA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was intense but very organized. It was 5 hours of time and a couple of hours of interviews. They used the behavioral questions based on the STAR method. I would recommend you have some great examples to share using that technique to answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you influenced others to adopt something new?   Answer Question