USAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 21, 2017

2.8

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I received a HR phone interview 1 month after applying. Then, a second ( (technical) phone interview with one of the dev teams was conducted. The next day, a third (technical) phone interview with another of the dev teams was needed. Finally, I was invited for an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of 2 group exercises followed by another technical interview with one of the same dev groups I spoke to on the phone. For these first 4 interviews, email and phone contact with the HR recruiter was conducted in a timely manner. However, after waiting an entire month and checking my status online I tried to find out my status via email and phone. I was told that since my online status still showed myself as "interviewing", that I was definitely still being considered.
    After 2 weeks and multiple emails and phone calls did I finally get an answer. It turned out that I was turned down for the position.
    What makes this extremely unprofessional is that not only did it require me hounding the HR recruiter to get through their brush off, is that nobody could be bothered to pay me the courtesy of informing me of their decision or updating my status online. It is clear to me that they simply forgot about me because it was only *AFTER* hearing back from the HR recruiter did my status become updated online and their system sends out the automated rejection email. It is clear to me that it was not worth my time to be patient and trust them to update the website. For all I know, a decision could have been made a week after the interview and I would have not had any idea. Instead, I was played for a fool by granting them an entire month.
    This contrast of speedy and timely messages when I am a promising candidate followed by being ignored when I am no longer considered makes the true colors of this company very evident.

Interview Questions

• Given an app with the ability to gather data in multiple formats (text, photo, voice, video, etc.), how would you design this app ?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

After completing the initial application, about a week or so later, I received a email to complete the assessment. The assessment took about an hour to complete. The following day I received an email requesting a phone interview the following week. I just got off my phone interview and the interviewer went over what the job description was and salary and previous experiences. She asked me about three questions and then stated she wanted to set me up on another phone interview with the manager the next week. Hopefully the next one flows as smoothly

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer that was not necessarily apart of your job description?   1 Answer

Decision Science Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Applied Online, took about 1 week before an email to schedule a phone interview.
    In total two phone interviews lasting 30 minutes then an invite to USAA Campus.
    The Process was simple and smooth.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Process took time to get started, but ended up with first phone interview that had about 8 people on the call; hiring managers, some engineers, HR, etc. Asked typical phone introduction interview things, review of career in your own words, describing a favorite project, and some make-sure-they-actually-know-{insert_language_here} type questions.

Was flown down to HQ for in-person interviews. Was ushered to HR department where candidates going for all kinds of roles were corralled together. As a group we got a tour of their impressive facility on the way to a conference room. At this room we got a presentation on the company, the career trajectory of people in IT. Then assigned a random partner, and some other staff joined us at our tables for a chat, and a warm-up task of Sudoko.

Then they got us a snack and a coffee, assigned a new random partner, and then did a situational/process exercise while the staffers played the role of client or business entity, etc.

Restroom break, then another partner for another situational exercise with different staffers watching.

They then called out people individually to hand each candidate off to a pair of engineers for specific technical interviewing based on the particular role.

Tech interview had some language/role specific warm up questions, some code structure/design questions, perform a code review on a printout of code (code had bugs in it, style issues and such), a coding exercise, and general conversation with opportunity for you to bring up any meaty topics that are important to you. Was not subjected to google style ultra low level comp-sci questions.

Overall the process was well thought out, well executed, and the technical interview was pragmatic with practical purpose.

New Member Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

The process took about 2 weeks. Had a phone interview with the recruiter first, then set up a second interview at the campus. Once there interviews with two more recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Name a specific time you had to up sell a customer on a product at a former job.   Answer Question

Auto Adjuster-Liability Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverview, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (Riverview, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

Application, Assessment, a few days later I received a call from a recruiter to set up a phone interview, after that I was invited in for a face to face interview with the Manager. The manager went over my resume then ask me typical behavioral questions. We went over my availability, the schedule, benefits, choice of location, salary, certificates, licenses, etc. The interview lasted about an hour. He told me I should be hearing back from the recruiter that day. The next morning I received 2 blanket emails stating that I didn't get the job. I'm a little disappointed because I am an adjuster with PIP and Liability experience and the position was entry level. However, USAA is a great company and I would like to keep encouraging future candidates to research the company and the position prior to going in to the interview to familiarize yourself with the company and the position. Stay positive and never give up.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you overcame problem in a team setting and what was the outcome..   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (Telephone, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Professional but not rigid, relaxed and business friendly, about twenty minutes long. That was initial interview, second one today. Many generalized questions, such as give an example of when you went above and beyond for your employer.

Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Fantastic process. Very well-organized.

From start to offer, I was impressed with USAA's interview process. Steps included a phone interview with HR, followed by a thirty-minute call with the hiring manager about a week later, and finally, an in-person interview lasting about 5 hours. All of the in-person interviews focused on behavioral type questions, i.e., tell me about a time, give me an example when... Great conversations all around! Be prepared with specific work examples from previous employment and great questions for each of the interviewers. And you'll be well on your way to a great offer from a terrific company!

They say the recruitment process is telling of what your experience at a company will be like.... Well, needless to say, I'm excited for what lies ahead!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked through a conflict at work.   Answer Question

Property Claims Adjuster III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (Tampa, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview and in-person interview with managers. I was selected for a background and drug screen. I was specifically advised that as long as I cleared the background and drug screen I would get an offer. The background took close to one month. In the end I received a group email, including me and eleven other potential hires, stating that we had all cleared the background check but the upcoming training class we had interviewed for was filled, and if a spot opened up I would be notified, or they would contact me for the next start date. I thought the group email was very unprofessional. I now have access to the other eleven candidates' emails, and obviously, their identities. If you apply, keep looking for another job.

Property Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (Tampa, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online, received and invitation to complete the online screening, had phone interview. The HR specialist was very friendly during the phone interview and at the end of the interview said that all went well and that I should expect a call within 2 days to schedule the next interview with the hiring manager and explained all the further steps of the hiring process. I have NOT received a call to schedule the next interview as advised, instead I received a rejection email.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for USAA? Example of handling a difficult/unsatisfied customer. Example of going above and beyond in my customer service experience   Answer Question