USAA Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 29, 2017

2.8

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

I had a short interview at my school. It was about what you would expect, non-technical but fairly comprehensive. Next they flew me out to San Antonio with some other potential hires, put us in a very nice hotel by the riverfront, and took us to a nice Mexican food restaurant where we were able to talk to some representatives about the job, how they liked it, etc. The next day was a LONG tour, almost seven hours. They showed of their, admittedly impressive, campus, facilities, etc.

During the tour we had a drug test, as well as an in person interview. The interview was also very non-technical. In fact they didn't ask any technical questions throughout the whole interviewing process. Finally we were sent home, though there was a seven hour difference between when we were dropped off and when our plane left.

At this point things went downhill. The recruiter forwarded me some information about some tests they would like me to take. The online tests didn't work. When I tried to email him it took over two weeks to get a reply. Let me correct that, the recruiter NEVER replied, I had to email the travel coordinator to get any information on what was going on.

Then things went silent. I had been told to expect an answer within a week. It took nearly five. The recruiter never answered any emails, which was very frustrating. Finally I told them I was accepting an offer from another company, and only then did he send me a rejection letter. Very unprofessional behavior.

Interview Questions

• A train leaves San Antonio for Huston at 60mph. Another train leaves Huston for San Antonio at 80mph. Huston and San Antonio are 300 miles apart.

If a bird leaves San Antonio at 100mph, and turnes around and flies back once it reaches the Huston train, and continues to fly between the two, how far will it have flown when they collide.   16 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for USAA

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at USAA in September 2015.

Interview

Very straight forward and mostly behavioral questions. Very polite interviewer and very helpful in guiding the conversations properly to get as much information from you as possible. I have not gotten to the next stage yet which would be an interview at one of their branches. Overall though I believe that as an Intern, USAA wants to see that you can solve logical problems rather than a huge technical grasp of your languages.

Interview Questions

• Questions consisted of how you reacted in certain situation as well as a puzzle to see how you figure it out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Recruiter Contacted me with open position, He then provided the job description, and reviewed my qualifications. Set up interview with their Human Resource. 2nd Review with HR - they reviewed background and setup Hiring manager interview phone interview.
    4th interview was onsite with hiring manager and a large group (15) technical staff interview. 5th follow up review with recruiter. Inform me that they had selected someone else was for the job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see your self in 5 years - Standard Behavior Interview, along with technical questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone screen, group dynamics interview case study, then technical interview on development practices. A lot of opportunities to test fit. Not a bad interview process . Interview process seems to be standardized

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at USAA (Lubbock, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Went to our school job fair and dropped off a resume. They conducted short on the spot interviews and then did call backs that night if you were selected for a formal interview. I was given the available time slots the next and chose which one was best for me. Interview took about an hour asking different scenario questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to think outside the box and figure out an unconventional way to solve a problem. They want to hire people they consider innovative.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

From 8am to 2pm. Involved mostly being an audience of presentations as to why working at USAA is good, relatively little actual interviewing compared to other software engineering jobs i've applied for. There was one logic question, a few programming structure questions, and some teamwork exercises. I applied for a college hire position and the people there were all college students (as was I).

Interview Questions

• Talk about how you would go about designing a mobile banking app.   Answer Question