USDA Forest Service Interview Questions | Glassdoor

USDA Forest Service Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2016

2.4

Interview

Received an email notification to schedule a phone interview. Interview lasted 20 mins and was done by 2 people on a conference call. Offered job without an in person interview. Struck me as weird.

Interview Questions

I declined because there were no 2nd follow up in person interviews. I found it strange that there was no in person interview, shown the facility, or had the ability to ask questions specifically regarding job function. If I had known I would have asked during the phone interview.

Accounting Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service.

Interview

The interview process was easy, applied online a couple months before. Called in for an interview in front of a group or hiring supervisors. Was called 3 weeks later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your area of growth and improvement you wish to receive if selected as an employee   Answer Question

Biological Science Technician (Natural Resources) FOREST SERVICE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fuquay-Varina, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service (Fuquay-Varina, NC) in August 2016.

Interview

Over the phone conference call. The process was somewhat grueling I really wanted a face to face interview but the position is in Puerto Rico. I think I may decline this position if offered just because of the pay and the location.

Interview Questions

• What would you identify as your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Another offer presented it self.

Forestry Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service (Bend, OR).

Interview

One phone call interview, one in person interview. I was recommended by an existing employee which definitely helps for the initial hire. If you are seasonal and have already worked there for at least one year, you often have rehire rights. They hire a certain number of GS3, GS4, GS5 etc. per district, depending on the number of handcrews, shots, engines etc. Your GS level depends on your tenure and experience, and what position you have been hired for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your supervisor? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Procurement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with panel of 4. Interview lasted about 35 minutes. Panel took turns asking a script of questions that were asked of all interviewees. Mainly interested in interpersonal skills and personality questions.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about interoffice relations. Very few questions about hard skills.   Answer Question

Based on questions asked, the overall impression was that the office atmosphere was slightly hostile.

Range Aid Interview

Anonymous Employee in Casper, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service (Casper, WY) in March 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application for the job on Feb 9 through USA Jobs and was contacted by email March 8th to see if I was still interested. The next day they emailed again and set up a phone interview for the next week. They also sent me a little bit of information about the position. The Rangeland Management Specialist and a Wildlife Biologist gave me a phone interview. So I was placed on speaker phone. They said I could ask them to repeat the questions and if there were any long pauses it was because they were writing own my answers to their questions. They said at the end I could also ask questions. I typically had them repeat the question just to make sure I caught it all, on speaker phone it was a little harder to hear. I received a job offer before we hung up on the phone interview and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Q: What do you know about the position?   1 Answer
    • Q: Why do you want to work for the USFS?   1 Answer
    • Q: What can you offer the company?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about working in a team and what is your leadership style?   1 Answer
    • Q: Could you tell us about yourself, this is a time when you can tell us anything that you want us to know, but wasn't covered.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service in May 2014.

Interview

It was a phone interview on the weekend. I was asked basic questions about the school I was attending, my prior work history, and working with others. The interview was more about the company, rather than myself.

Interview Questions

• How did I feel about working with 15 other interns.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service (Atlanta, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

phone interview it lasted about 15 minutes, they asked me about college, my major, career goals and expectations. It was very short sweet and to the point, the interviewer was very pleasant.

Negotiation

no negotiations required

Forestry Aid Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service.

Interview

Supervisor reviewed SF-171 application, reviewed a few points of interest regarding experience on timber sale accounting. Offered theransfer.

Center Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at USDA Forest Service.

Interview

Great, application through Government channels is very slow.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None, set wages by government.