UW Medicine Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 14, 2017

2.9

Senior Computer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UW Medicine (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process was a lengthy but straight forward process. It started off with a few facts about the position and what is expected from you by the company. I liked that a lot because you knew up front what you were getting into and didn't have to go through a lengthy process just to pull out at the end because you didn't agree with some of the responsibilities. After that there were two rounds of interviews. One technical with about 5 people asking you questions and the other was a personal/cultural/behavioral interview with most of the team I am working with. The purpose was to meet me and ask questions to get a feel if I would be a good fit for the organization and the team.

Interview Questions

• If you needed to write a Powershell script that used a server inventory and required you to get information from all servers, how would you do that?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at UW Medicine.

Interview

Some email correspondence and one phone screen interview. Interviewer wanted to know about my experiences as a student and my skills with Microsoft excel as well as how I believed my coursework has prepared me for the job.

UW Contact Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UW Medicine (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

After applying online, I received a phone screen by HR the following week. She told me more about the position and asked some behavioral questions. At the end of the call, we scheduled an in person interview. When you check in for your in person interview, you are given a 60 second typing test on the computer (it is a simple typing test that you can find online) and then given a worksheet to fill out which is the computer literacy test (super easy, only 8 multiple choice questions like how do you close a window, how many times do you click on a hyper link in a word document, etc). The interview was about 40 mins and the interviewer was very easy going and very friendly. He talked a lot during the interview (which I personally liked). The questions were behavioral questions based on the duties you will have to perform in the position like, "In this position, you may have to take suicide calls, how do you feel about that?" Overall, the whole process was pleasant. The only thing that I did not like is that the online UW hiring portal that tells you the status of your application did not update to "Not Selected" or something along those lines when I was not offered a position and I did not receive a rejection call or email either. (UW being such a large organization probably has the worst user-friendly hiring portal I have ever experienced. The whole UW candidate portal needs a massive update, I have applied to other UW jobs and you never know if the position got filled and can't even delete or withdraw from any jobs you had previously applied for, but that is a review for another day). But I think UW Medicine is a great health organization, too bad I couldn't be a part of the team! :)

Interview Questions

• Why UW?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a time you went out of your way to provide excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you used your listening skills to help you provide excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • How do you explain Facebook to someone who has never used it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UW Medicine.

Interview

Interview questions will vary manager to manager. Some will ask technical questions. Some won't. That will depend on the job itself, how much experience you have, or how fresh out of school you are. If the position is not a generalist position, expect technical questions or expect to elaborate your applicable technical strengths. Almost certainly expect questions regarding customer service (how you'll work through phone calls from doctors/nurses, etc) and how you will work through problematic employees.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel and deal with co-workers who call in-sick a lot?   Answer Question
    • In one shift, the QC for chemistry analyzer is out of range, more than once. How will you get it working again, and in time to finish the shift's workload?   Answer Question
    • How will you deal with difficult co-workers?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UW Medicine (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Hiring manager did the initial phone interview, then I was invited for in-person interviews with the team then another one with the director. It was a great experience, however, the recruitment was cancelled.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UW Medicine (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

2 Interviews, one with a large panel of team members, lasting approximately 30 minutes. Second with the same panel + HR + senior team leaders, lasting approximately 30 minutes. Pleasant atmosphere, not too pressuring, except for the amount of people present in the panel

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UW Medicine (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Fairly standard. I applied online, and was contacted via email for a phone screening. I went through two rounds of in-person interviews over the next two weeks (they did not pay for travel). About a week later I was asked what my salary range was, and it was outside their maximum. I was told I would be kept updated. Two weeks went by before I reached out to confirm the status and was told they could not meet my salary expectations. That was totally fine, but I would have liked to have been given an update, as promised. It was not a good experience to invest so much time in the interview process only to get radio-silence after initial discussions (not a formal offer) of salary.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of how you supported a staff member. What are the challenges health care is facing? What is the future of marketing?   Answer Question

RN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UW Medicine (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interview with management team, background check, offer of employment. Did not get to tour any of the units prior to hire.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. "Name a time when...what were the results....blah, blah"   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UW Medicine (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Was contacted roughly two months after submitting by application. I received a computer generated message instructing me to answer some work availability questions and included a link to a Codility test. The Codility test was difficult and probably not the best indicator for coding ability.

Supervisor Interview

Application

Interview

I think it depends on the department you're applying for, my interview process went extremely well especially for being an out of state candidate. Interview process took about two months but the hiring manager did a great job keeping me informed on what the next steps were going to be. It's definitely a waiting game, but remember patience is a virtue!

- Applied online
    - Skype interview with hiring manager and department head
    - Skype interview with future team members
    - References Checked
    - Offer extended
    - Background Checked

Interview Questions

• Name a time you've had to implement a change that you did not support.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. And I'm really glad I did. If you do negotiate, it has to get approved from HR before the offer can be officially made. So this may delay the wait a tiny bit longer.