Uber Community Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Community Operations Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Uber

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Boston, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few days later. The recruiter, Quynh, was awesome and she was really flexible with scheduling considering she was calling me in London from SF.

That call was a walk-me-through-your-resume style screening interview. I tried to relate my experience from my resume to the job description as much as possible, because I was coming from a slightly different background. That call lasted 30 minutes and ended with her telling me the next step -- complete an exercise and submit it to the Boston office.

The exercise was time consuming and probably took me an hour on average to craft a solid response to each of the 5 or 6 questions. I had a week to complete it. The questions were interesting and made me think that the job may be a really good fit. (Ex: How would you prioritize the following types of ticket emails... explain your thought process)

I submitted the exercise and heard back the next day that they'd like me to Skype with someone in the Boston office. A few days later we chatted over Skype, very informally, and again I walked this person through my resume and explained why I think I'd be a good fit. Why Uber? etc. She also answered lots of questions about the role. This was a video Skype, and it ended with her telling me the next step -- come in to the office and meet the team.

The interview in the Boston office was where things changed for me. Unfortunately, we had scheduled my interview a week in advance, and it ended up conflicting with the US vs. Belgium World Cup Knockout match! I showed up for the interview as the game kicked off in Brazil...

I checked in at the desk and proceeded to wait 30 minutes before anyone came to interview me. I did get to chat with a few people there during this time, which was nice, and was told a few times that someone would be there shortly, however, I could hear the rest of the office watching the match down the hall. No one invited me to watch, so after 15 minutes of waiting, I went in and watched the game. Another 15 minutes went until they were ready to start the interview.

The weird thing was, the interview was held in an unfurnished room with 5 mismatched chairs, no lights and no table. It was really dark. 4 people, mostly current community operations managers, trickled in sat down with their laptops open in their laps. I noticed that one guy was watching the US-Belgium match, and others were sporadically typing away. They asked me about my work-life balance in London, and I got the impression that this position would be 7 days a week, early mornings, bunker down in the office type of deal. They did take the time to answer all of my questions.

Finally, I had a 1-1 interview and then another 3-1 panel interview and those were much better experiences than the first one.

I left knowing I did not want to work there.

Interview Questions

• Multiple people who interviewed me pulled up my Uber account and checked out how many rides I've taken.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (Atlanta, GA) in August 2014.

Interview

I received an email from an executive in California on a Friday telling me about a position in my state. He responded quickly sent me plenty of information and then let me know someone from my state would be reaching out to me to talk about the position in more detail, he even included their contact information. That was it. I sent follow up emails to ensure the position hadn't been filled or that they were moving in another direction. No response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY).

Interview

Uber seems to vary by location on when they will contact you after submitting your application. San Francisco got back to me the next day, while NYC took a month or so. The first step is a phone interview with a recruiter to better get to know you. They will then send a worksheet exercise that goes over how you will respond to different customer situations, as well as your feedback on analytical information. This can take around 1-2 hours to complete, and I recommend you do your research to understand the pricing structure. I then received a Skype interview and eventually an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• During a phone interview: An Uber driver complains that a passenger vomits in their back seat. Do you help pay for the damages? If so, where do you get the money?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Uber?   1 Answer

Community Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Uber in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn about about an open position from a local recruiter, and set up a phone interview. I did all my research, read all the recent press (both good and bad). Recruiter spoke mostly about the role, and said it was just a pre-screen. She didn't get much into my actual experience. She did mention they have abnormal work hours.I asked questions about their interview process (where candidates are given an assignment), how employees deal with protests outside their office. (Two in a four a week period) I asked about next steps, and when I'd get the assignment every person on Glassdoor mentioned; the CEO preferred assignments as a great way to know a candidate. She said she'd talk to the team and get back. I never heard from her again.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult or unexpected.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process involved a call with a HR recruiter, an analytics test/creative assignment, phone call with the hiring manager and in person interviews. The in-person interviews took about 2 hours and was based in an Uber-Chicago office.

Interview Questions

• Overall the process was very fast. I passed the HR screening and homework assignments and was quickly scheduled for a telephone interview with the hiring manager. It was brief (about 30 minutes) but I was invited to meet the team a few days later. The overall in person experience was mixed. I met with three Comm Ops Managers and two seemed to have reviewed my resume. The third person came in seemingly unprepared and I spent most of our short time together summarizing my work experience. The job description includes a variety of tasks and responsibilities but I believe the Comm Ops Managers are heavily focused on widget resolution. They couldn't give me clear examples of how they use data to reduce issues in the future and they don't seem interested in developing training for drivers/customers.

At the conclusion of my interviews I met with the hiring manager and she was pleasant but trying to multi-task on her computer. She wanted to know about my interview experience and asked if I had any questions. She positively commented on my fluency in another language and how it could directly help them in addressing support issues in that language. However a day later I was told I wasn't a match with the group and my candidacy ended... Needless to say I switched to Lyft later that afternoon ;)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter at LinkedIn with zero information about the role. Booked a meeting through calendly and then spent a few hrs researching the role online. Scott was punctual with the meeting and he introduced the role to me. First he asked me to tell me about my background, I focused on the last 5 yrs. and then he went on to ask a few questions, which were fairly straight forward. I then asked him about salary range and team structure etc. He was constantly typing each word and he seemed very experienced at this type of interviewing, they probably do ten times per day as they are growing.
    Basically it all went very fast. I'm more used to having conversational interviews while this was super-efficient and questions were very relevant.
    Overall good and enlightening interview where we both agreed that I was not a fit for this role.

Community Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Paris (France)) in January 2016.

Interview

I had a 1h skype interview where i was asked many questions on my motivation and how to deal with riders & drivers. After the interview i recieber a 1 hours Analytics tests to do.

Interview Questions

• why Uber? Why do you want to leave your current company ? How do you deal with angry riders ? How do you make yours drivers happy and willing to stay with Uber ? After the interview i recieber a 1 hours Analytics tests to do   Answer Question

Community Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Moscow (Russia)) in March 2016.

Interview

Discussion about experience and stuff over internet with several managers one by one. Cultural and behavioural testing. Cases and real situations discussions. Quite difficult logic test. Good recruitment support in terms of briefing before the one on ones.

Community Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Singapore (Singapore)) in May 2015.

Interview

After I applied on the offer through an online job board, a recruiter reached out to me, stating that my resume had been selected among the ones they received for the position.

I was then requested to pass the Uber analytics test within 48 hours, which all Uber candidates must pass. I attempted it over the weekend, and the day after, I received an email informing me that I passed.

The next step was to pass an online screening interview, through the platform recruitby.net. The interview consisted of 4 generic questions which I list below. Again, this online interview must be performed within 48 hours.

After performing it, I did hear from the recruiter for about more than 2 weeks. When I sent a follow-up email, I was replied that Uber would not take my application further for this position.

Overall, apart from the lack of transparency at the end, I think the interview process was a good experience. I think their analytics test is really good, as it puts you in the shoes of an Uber employee with business-related questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a bit about yourself! (Less than 2 minutes)   Answer Question
    • Why Uber and this role? (Less than 2 minutes)   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a challenging project and the actions you took to overcome it? (Less than 2 minutes)   Answer Question
    • Assume you are employed with Uber (congratulations!) While taking an Uber to work, you notice your driver is also accepting trips via a competitor’s app. What would you do? ( Less than 2 mins)   1 Answer

Community Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (Singapore (Singapore)) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview by HR first asking about work experience and why Uber. 2nd analytics test consists of 32 questions including 4 open end questions. Followed by face to face interview in office.