Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2018

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Two interviewers really stuck out to me. The first one was great! He was friendly, open, and engaging. The other was judgmental and somewhat conceited. Overall I had mixed feelings.

Interview Questions

• General product sense questions, how to define a market, how would anticipate large events, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

The process started by one of my LinkedIn connections referring me for the position. First I got a screen interview with the recruiter. She was nice and helpful. Then I was given a take home assignment and was given a week to complete it. It was a text-book machine learning assignment that you had to deal with missing values and perform modeling.
    This was followed by a coding interview, which went pretty well and the person who was interviewing me enjoyed my work. Then, I was told that I have to do another coding interview focusing on machine learning. The interview started with one of the challenging Leetcode examples. I didn't do my best there. Then I was asked some tricky questions about modeling and SQL. Next morning I received rejection email, which I was expecting.

Pros of the interview:
    I learned through the process a lot. The first codepair was very good and I enjoyed it. Take home challenge also provided me with the real-world data and application of machine learning.

Cons of the interview:
    -I felt there is a lack of coordination in Uber's process. For example, I was asked to have a codepair on machine learning concepts, which I prepared myself for, however, I was mainly asked software engineering questions and non-practical statistic concepts.

-I felt UberATG R&D is a bit confused about the application of machine learning to this new area and it seems there is no real active project going on.

In total, although the process was a good learning experience for the future of my job hunting experience. However, comparing to other companies that I have been applying to, lack of transparency, coordination, and direction in the hiring process of Uber could be frustrating and discouraging.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between MLE and MAP?   1 Answer
    • What are the assumptions of linear regression?   1 Answer
    • What do nested SELECT and WITH do in SQL?   1 Answer
    • What is stationary signal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Asked friend for a referral. Phone screen followed by a take home assignment, which went well. I was invited for onsite where I was interviewed by 5 people from the team.

I thought the interview went well, the coding interview was a bit hit and miss because lack of familiarity with the interface. All the other team members told me it's not important for this team or the role. Most of the questions were open ended and vague, it felt like the interviewers liked my answers. A week later I was told I am not the right fit for the team.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an incentive scheme for drivers such that they listen to your suggestion of going to areas where the demand is high.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

First a phone call, takes about 1 hour. question about my background and an Uber related problem. Then a take home exam with optimization problems. then on sight with 6 interviews each 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would you evaluate the estimated time to arrival algorithm in Uber? Questions regarding matching algorithms (how to best match a request to a driver). Hypothesis testing. Probability. Coding questions.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Brief chat with recruiter then a phone screen with a member of the data science team.

The call with the team member started with a brief description of the position, as well as my background. After that we went into technical questions and I have to say, I don't think the interviewer had very much experience in the work world, especially not conducting technical interviews. Here's that part of the conversation went:

Uber: That's the right answer, but I'm looking for one other point.
    Me: Could you provide some feedback or guidance so as to direct me towards what you're looking for?
    Uber: I'd like to hear how you'd work through the problem.
    Me: I just walked through my thought process, described why that was my thought process, and how I came to the answer. I don't know what else you're looking for, can you help me understand what I'm missing?
    Uber: Ok, let's move on.

This happened multiple times. By the end of the call I was honestly really annoyed.

Is this how the data science team works at Uber? No guidance or feedback???

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process consists of a phone screening with HR, two rounds of phone interviews. The on-site consists of a presentation to a group and 5 rounds of one on one interviews. Overall I had a positive interview experience. The hiring manager and interviewers were really nice. I received a job offer 2 days after the on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• coding/algorithm (leetcode medium level), statistics and probability, machine learning, deep learning, design of experiments, product knowledge, behavior questions   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber in February 2018.

Interview

It took 45 minutes, video interview with lead data scientist in Uber. Interviewer is super friendly. Only focus on my previous experience but in very very detail. Asked me about two of my previous internship and project.

Interview Questions

• What kind of database you built with MySQL? Hypothesis test? Machine Learning related projects.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber in January 2018.

Interview

Step 1: Brief chat with the recruiter.

Step 2: A 1-hour technical interview with a data scientist. Mostly business case questions with a data science twist.

Step 3: A coding assignment. They ask that you spend no more than 8 hours on it, but these things are always biased toward candidates who have the time to pour more hours into them and "wow" someone who will look over it for about 5-10 minutes.

I handed in the coding assignment and waited around 4 days, when they got back saying they "decided not to move forward in the interviewing process."

I asked for feedback and got none.

I don't know how companies get away with doing this sort of thing. It's a red flag for me if they can't provide feedback after pouring 8 hours into an assignment they gave me.

Interview Questions

• They told me how one aspect of Uber's business worked years ago, and how I'd improve it. Mostly logistics based. The data science assignment was on predicting ETA given rider and driver data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied through a career fair, got a phone interview after 2 week. After another two weeks, got rejected from Uber. The whole process takes a long time. But if you are selected, you should get the message in less than two weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself
      2. why you are interested in the data science position?
      3. introduce a machine leaning project that you've done.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

behavior interview at the career fair then received a technical interview by a phone call. Tacke home assignment needs to be submitted within one week. Get reject after one week.