Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2017

42 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Interviews with numerous people and a fairly lengthy homework with a very short turnaround time. I delivered the results on time, but they took an eternity to get back. Multiple weeks of complete radio silence. Numerous "will get back to you next week" that didn't happen. Really bad experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Referred through a friend, had a few quick informational calls then was sent the take home assignment, followed by onsite.

The take home was a decent problem though it took a while, and I was told I "nailed it". They made me create some slides about it which I thought was strange because the take home assignment was in presentable format, and when I got there it seemed like no one had really looked at my take home. People were nice to me, but scheduling was a mess; they kept on pushing back and moved my onsite at the last minute.

I didn't get asked that many technical questions when onsite, but I got feedback saying my ML/modelling was a concern. Given I had to do a lengthy take home modelling exercise, I am confused but I suppose there could just have been more experienced candidates.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Uber in July 2017.

Interview

I actually liked the questions that I got. They were relevant to the job. Unlike many companies (Spotify, wayfair) where in people mostly ask SD questions and sometimes dont know how to make the interview conversation in terms of Machine learning so this interview I would say perfect in that sense.

Interview Questions

• Basic probability question. Find probability of two cars meeting given certain conditions   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber in July 2017.

Interview

First a phone interview with HR. Then a phone interview with data scientist at Uber. She asked about my past projects and tested me on machine learning models (how does random forest work, difference between different unsupervised clustering models). At the end of the interview they asked if I would be interested in the software developer path or analytical path for DS. I chose analytical.

They gave a three part problem set: two SQL code problems, AB experiment design, dataset given to predict if new driver would complete a first ride within 30 days.

Onsite interview: 6 rounds of technical interviews with white boards. SQL problems, machine learning problems, general back of the envelope problems.

The people generally care about their problems they are solving at Uber. But it sounds like there is a lot of org movement and gaps in upper management positions. Strong leadership could be lacking.

They serve free lunch at Uber, and it was the worst campus food I ever ate. I distinctly remember their broccoli was burnt black and their noodles and chicken tasted like microwave food. The atmosphere also seemed sad. A lot of people walking around that didn't look happy. Their market street building was congested inside and looked like it hasn't been renovated for 20 years.

8 weeks after interview and still did not get reimbursement for travel expenses. They approved but won't reimburse my account. They kept making excuses that they had "finance" problems. I would not recommend Uber. They seem disorganized and not at the same caliber as leading Tech companies in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• write out logistic regression using equations   Answer Question
    • design a project you would work on to improve the Uber app   Answer Question
    • What is the expected value of flips to get heads on a fair coin?   1 Answer
    • How much would it cost (initial and sustaining costs) to having a fleet of vehicles take Google street view photos of every major city in the US every day?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber in May 2017.

Interview

Reach out on linked in, called me, followed by a take home challenge including three SQL questions and an analytical question with data. Then a video interview, 45 min, told me not to prepare anything. I haven't done it yet cuz I need to unlock the glassdoor review to prepare

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber in March 2017.

Interview

The 4 Steps include:
    Recruiter Call
    Technical Phone Interview with a Data Scientist
    Case Study Data Homework
    On-site Interviews

Was rejected after the technical phone interview for not understanding the user experience well enough.

Interview Questions

• If we added one rider to the current SF market, how would that affect the existing riders and drivers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview to discuss the position and the Data Science team information
    Next round was a take home test to solve.. which had three parts- SQL query/ Insights and Data Analytics 2 weeks time to solve the test..Results were given immediately in a day

Interview Questions

• More on Resume/ projects and work experience if you have.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by the recruiter within a few weeks. The recruiter was a pleasure with work with - very polite and quick to respond. I was given a take home assignment which I did not clear. It took about 10 hours to complete and is the sort of thing you could spend an entire week doing. I'm happy that the recruiter took the time to give me feedback on my submission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Very bad experience. The usual process: phone screen with recruiter, technical interview over the phone, take home porject, and onsite interview. The initial steps went well, recruiter was very helpful and the guy over the phone was very pleasant. What sucks is the onsite. Met with one particularly obnoxious arrogant interviewer, won't even try to squeeze a smile, and definitely felt he's better than everyone.
    The worst part is, they actually cut the interview short while I was meeting with the next interviewer, saying they got the feedback already and won't move on. This is very rude and inconsiderate, showed no respect to the candidate. If you think I don't even worth you time, perhaps you shouldn't have asked me onsite. You should have a fair judgement on my skills after one coding interview over the phone and a take home project. If you asked a person onsite, you should at least give them the chance to meet with the people you have scheduled.
    Anyway, left the place feeling not being respected and obnoxious. That's probably the worst interview experience ever.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for coding questions like those for software engineers. In my experience, they are looking for coding skills more than analytical skills.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber in December 2016.

Interview

I didn't even finish my online application, and I got a phone screen. Then a coding/modelling assignment, then technical phone interview. During the technical interview, my interviewer told me to spend much more time on the assignment than instructed in the document. He didn't know that I had already completed the assignment. He told me I would hear back in three days.

20 days later, the recruiter told me they would have a decision by the end of the day. After a few more days I had to follow up again. Extremely disorganized process.