Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Dec 10, 2018

71 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber in July 2016.

Interview

This was the worst interview experience I've ever had, and it has left a profoundly negative taste in my mouth.

First step of the process was great; I scheduled a call, had a long chat about my skills and their relevance to the position, and I moved on to the second step in the process, which was a second HR phone interview.

I scheduled the call. I got an email 10 minutes before the call was supposed to happen, asking to reschedule. I responded immediately with an acceptance to reschedule. I did not hear back until the next day (Friday), asking to reschedule for that afternoon. I rescheduled, the interview was bumped back to later in the day (without asking me first), and then the interviewer didn't call.

I emailed again, apologizing just in case my phone didn't ring, asking to reschedule. I heard back after the weekend was over via email. The interviewer asked for days and times when I would be free, I responded that any day after 1:00pm was good. The interviewer responded by scheduling the interview for Thursday at 10:30am. Ok, I can live with that.

Interviewer called 10 minutes late, asked me a couple questions (of a simple "walk me through your resume" variety), and then offered me a chance to ask questions. I asked a singular question, and the interviewer answered it and then said his goodbyes before I could ask another. Less than ten minutes had passed since he called. I got my rejection the next day.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions I was asked were difficult, and the questions that were asked were largely a repeat of the previous step in the interview (which went exceedingly well).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

first after applying online. they contacted me and after talking on the phone they sent me an exam. and ask you to send it back after 1 week. since i applied for entry level i believe it was extremely difficult.

Interview Questions

• there were 3 part, SQL which was very difficult for entry level.one part with R or Python programming, and Analysis   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The HR reached out to me through Linkedin and we set up a call quickly. Before I got to talk to anyone, they sent me a 3-page task to finish. After I delivered the 10-page papers in a week, they changed me to a lower position without letting me know the reason.

That's fine. Since I have already done the papers, I do not mind just go for that lower level position. Now, that is all the crap happening. They assigned a student fresh out of college to interview me (1.5-year in Uber is all his job experiences). I hold a master from Ivy League and been working in a prestigious consulting firm for 4 years. WTF?

The new kid acted likes he was experienced and throw all the big words to you to try to make you uncomfortable. Interview questions are so rude and immature. Like "have you ever read the job description?", "explain this to a 10-year-old." He did not even know what he was talking about. Totally a frat kid feeling. I decided to not move forward after this interview.

I have not had this bad interview experiences for a long time. Not sure if this is just a west coast thing, or simply Uber culture is bad. However, take a look at the CEO's frat boy behavior to bully its competitors. I do not doubt they will attract the same people.

Absolutely negative expeirnces!

Interview Questions

• Explain join fun in SQL to a 10-year-old?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was referred through a friend. The whole process took almost two months, but I was partly responsible for this delay. It's a multi-stage process: phone chat with a recruiter, phone interviews with recruiting managers, take home challenge (SQL, data analysis, ML), and finally on-site interview with 5 people. Besides the usual behavioral and motivation questions, most other questions were related to some sort of problems or situations faced by Uber. The whole experience was positive.

Interview Questions

• There were many questions during the interview. Here is a brief summary of type of questions. How do you find an anomaly in a distribution? How do you investigate that a certain trend in a distribution is due to anomaly? How do you test a particular product? Pick your favorite product or app and describe how you would improve it or design it? How do you estimate of an impact that Uber has on driving conditions and congestion? Most questions were open-ended.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Uber in October 2016.

Interview

Hour long case interview with questions involving pseudo code explanations of how to extract certain information from given datasets and a few general economic theory questions - then hour long behavioral talk, pretty casual and was kind of fun just to talk to a few team members. I thought the case questions were pretty interesting to think about

Interview Questions

• What trends in the data indicate that the market is healthy? What does price tell you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

I have applied Uber for twice, but got rejected twice. The interview starts from a call of HR, who is very patient and quick responsive. Then they will send to you a doc for three questions. All the questions focus on data analysis, data modeling. I did it in Python and R. Then I heard back after a week for a technology phone interview. They have high bar on this round. The questions are all related to design Uber product and solve some real problems of Uber. I think it's hard for fresh graduate.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The process began with a recruiter reaching out to me to do a take-home exercise with three parts: some medium-difficulty SQL queries, a qualitative question on metric evaluation and experimental design, and an applied predictive modeling exercise for which you needed to submit code. After that I did a 30 minute Uber-related case study over the phone with a data science manager before the final on-site. The on-site was comprised of four interviews: one with a PM which was kind of a combination of background and explaining technical stuff to non-technical people, two data science related case studies about Uber problems that involved both experimental design and predictive modeling (with some whiteboard math/brainstorming), and one solely focused on metrics and experimental design (which they emphasize a lot if you couldn't already tell).

The take-home coding assignment was probably the best / least annoying of the 4 I did during recruiting, and all the interviewers were really, really sharp. Only negative was that the onsite was quite rushed and just a 4 hour block straight through with not much time to collect one's thoughts after each interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain how network effects might influence your choice of how to assign experimental/control units and measure your main outcome metrics   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Approached by a recruiter. A take-home exam for one week with some math solving and coding related to Uber problems. A technical phone interview with some case studies. A final-round onsite interview with questions ranging from coding, case studies and white-boarding.

Interview Questions

• What are the performance metrics of evaluating various Uber services.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted through a (friend of a friend) employee referral. A non-technical phone call was scheduled a week later with a "technical sourcer" employee. I was asked about my research background on that call. A week after, I was scheduled for a technical phone interview with a Data Scientist.

The technical phone interviewer was pleasant and experienced. I got the impression that some of the scenarios I was asked to address were at the cutting edge of what Uber was working on at the time. The questions were thought provoking and I enjoyed our conversation.

The way the referral process went, I did not have much time to prepare for the interview. In hindsight, I would have spent more preparation time thinking about their business model and quantitative approaches to optimizing the company's services.

Interview Questions

• A lot about Uber Pool. The questions were general in nature. At this stage, it was more a series of thought exercises. They seemed focused on understanding how you approach problems.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Very bad experience. The usual process: phone screen with recruiter, technical interview over the phone, take home porject, and onsite interview. The initial steps went well, recruiter was very helpful and the guy over the phone was very pleasant. What sucks is the onsite. Met with one particularly obnoxious arrogant interviewer, won't even try to squeeze a smile, and definitely felt he's better than everyone.
    The worst part is, they actually cut the interview short while I was meeting with the next interviewer, saying they got the feedback already and won't move on. This is very rude and inconsiderate, showed no respect to the candidate. If you think I don't even worth you time, perhaps you shouldn't have asked me onsite. You should have a fair judgement on my skills after one coding interview over the phone and a take home project. If you asked a person onsite, you should at least give them the chance to meet with the people you have scheduled.
    Anyway, left the place feeling not being respected and obnoxious. That's probably the worst interview experience ever.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for coding questions like those for software engineers. In my experience, they are looking for coding skills more than analytical skills.   1 Answer