Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2018

68 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Brief chat with recruiter then a phone screen with a member of the data science team.

The call with the team member started with a brief description of the position, as well as my background. After that we went into technical questions and I have to say, I don't think the interviewer had very much experience in the work world, especially not conducting technical interviews. Here's that part of the conversation went:

Uber: That's the right answer, but I'm looking for one other point.
Me: Could you provide some feedback or guidance so as to direct me towards what you're looking for?
Uber: I'd like to hear how you'd work through the problem.
Me: I just walked through my thought process, described why that was my thought process, and how I came to the answer. I don't know what else you're looking for, can you help me understand what I'm missing?
Uber: Ok, let's move on.

This happened multiple times. By the end of the call I was honestly really annoyed.

Is this how the data science team works at Uber? No guidance or feedback???

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

First a phone call, takes about 1 hour. question about my background and an Uber related problem. Then a take home exam with optimization problems. then on sight with 6 interviews each 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would you evaluate the estimated time to arrival algorithm in Uber? Questions regarding matching algorithms (how to best match a request to a driver). Hypothesis testing. Probability. Coding questions.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber in January 2018.

Interview

Step 1: Brief chat with the recruiter.

Step 2: A 1-hour technical interview with a data scientist. Mostly business case questions with a data science twist.

Step 3: A coding assignment. They ask that you spend no more than 8 hours on it, but these things are always biased toward candidates who have the time to pour more hours into them and "wow" someone who will look over it for about 5-10 minutes.

I handed in the coding assignment and waited around 4 days, when they got back saying they "decided not to move forward in the interviewing process."

I asked for feedback and got none.

I don't know how companies get away with doing this sort of thing. It's a red flag for me if they can't provide feedback after pouring 8 hours into an assignment they gave me.

Interview Questions

• They told me how one aspect of Uber's business worked years ago, and how I'd improve it. Mostly logistics based. The data science assignment was on predicting ETA given rider and driver data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

behavior interview at the career fair then received a technical interview by a phone call. Tacke home assignment needs to be submitted within one week. Get reject after one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

There are two phone calls, one with hiring manager, and the other with a senior data scientist. The second one is a tech interview with codepad set up. I felt negative towards the interview since they are more likely to hire a software engineer instead of a data scientist. They asked CS algorithms all the time.

Interview Questions

• Write a production code to find all combinations of numbers in a list that sum up to 8.   Answer Question
    • Write a production code to reverse a number.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process consists of a phone screening with HR, two rounds of phone interviews. The on-site consists of a presentation to a group and 5 rounds of one on one interviews. Overall I had a positive interview experience. The hiring manager and interviewers were really nice. I received a job offer 2 days after the on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• coding/algorithm (leetcode medium level), statistics and probability, machine learning, deep learning, design of experiments, product knowledge, behavior questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied through a career fair, got a phone interview after 2 week. After another two weeks, got rejected from Uber. The whole process takes a long time. But if you are selected, you should get the message in less than two weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself
      2. why you are interested in the data science position?
      3. introduce a machine leaning project that you've done.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber in February 2018.

Interview

It took 45 minutes, video interview with lead data scientist in Uber. Interviewer is super friendly. Only focus on my previous experience but in very very detail. Asked me about two of my previous internship and project.

Interview Questions

• What kind of database you built with MySQL? Hypothesis test? Machine Learning related projects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Asked friend for a referral. Phone screen followed by a take home assignment, which went well. I was invited for onsite where I was interviewed by 5 people from the team.

I thought the interview went well, the coding interview was a bit hit and miss because lack of familiarity with the interface. All the other team members told me it's not important for this team or the role. Most of the questions were open ended and vague, it felt like the interviewers liked my answers. A week later I was told I am not the right fit for the team.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an incentive scheme for drivers such that they listen to your suggestion of going to areas where the demand is high.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber in July 2016.

Interview

This was the worst interview experience I've ever had, and it has left a profoundly negative taste in my mouth.

First step of the process was great; I scheduled a call, had a long chat about my skills and their relevance to the position, and I moved on to the second step in the process, which was a second HR phone interview.

I scheduled the call. I got an email 10 minutes before the call was supposed to happen, asking to reschedule. I responded immediately with an acceptance to reschedule. I did not hear back until the next day (Friday), asking to reschedule for that afternoon. I rescheduled, the interview was bumped back to later in the day (without asking me first), and then the interviewer didn't call.

I emailed again, apologizing just in case my phone didn't ring, asking to reschedule. I heard back after the weekend was over via email. The interviewer asked for days and times when I would be free, I responded that any day after 1:00pm was good. The interviewer responded by scheduling the interview for Thursday at 10:30am. Ok, I can live with that.

Interviewer called 10 minutes late, asked me a couple questions (of a simple "walk me through your resume" variety), and then offered me a chance to ask questions. I asked a singular question, and the interviewer answered it and then said his goodbyes before I could ask another. Less than ten minutes had passed since he called. I got my rejection the next day.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions I was asked were difficult, and the questions that were asked were largely a repeat of the previous step in the interview (which went exceedingly well).   Answer Question