Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2018

65 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Brief chat with recruiter then a phone screen with a member of the data science team.

The call with the team member started with a brief description of the position, as well as my background. After that we went into technical questions and I have to say, I don't think the interviewer had very much experience in the work world, especially not conducting technical interviews. Here's that part of the conversation went:

Uber: That's the right answer, but I'm looking for one other point.
Me: Could you provide some feedback or guidance so as to direct me towards what you're looking for?
Uber: I'd like to hear how you'd work through the problem.
Me: I just walked through my thought process, described why that was my thought process, and how I came to the answer. I don't know what else you're looking for, can you help me understand what I'm missing?
Uber: Ok, let's move on.

This happened multiple times. By the end of the call I was honestly really annoyed.

Is this how the data science team works at Uber? No guidance or feedback???

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

First a phone call, takes about 1 hour. question about my background and an Uber related problem. Then a take home exam with optimization problems. then on sight with 6 interviews each 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would you evaluate the estimated time to arrival algorithm in Uber? Questions regarding matching algorithms (how to best match a request to a driver). Hypothesis testing. Probability. Coding questions.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber in January 2018.

Interview

Step 1: Brief chat with the recruiter.

Step 2: A 1-hour technical interview with a data scientist. Mostly business case questions with a data science twist.

Step 3: A coding assignment. They ask that you spend no more than 8 hours on it, but these things are always biased toward candidates who have the time to pour more hours into them and "wow" someone who will look over it for about 5-10 minutes.

I handed in the coding assignment and waited around 4 days, when they got back saying they "decided not to move forward in the interviewing process."

I asked for feedback and got none.

I don't know how companies get away with doing this sort of thing. It's a red flag for me if they can't provide feedback after pouring 8 hours into an assignment they gave me.

Interview Questions

• They told me how one aspect of Uber's business worked years ago, and how I'd improve it. Mostly logistics based. The data science assignment was on predicting ETA given rider and driver data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

behavior interview at the career fair then received a technical interview by a phone call. Tacke home assignment needs to be submitted within one week. Get reject after one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

There are two phone calls, one with hiring manager, and the other with a senior data scientist. The second one is a tech interview with codepad set up. I felt negative towards the interview since they are more likely to hire a software engineer instead of a data scientist. They asked CS algorithms all the time.

Interview Questions

• Write a production code to find all combinations of numbers in a list that sum up to 8.   Answer Question
    • Write a production code to reverse a number.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied through a career fair, got a phone interview after 2 week. After another two weeks, got rejected from Uber. The whole process takes a long time. But if you are selected, you should get the message in less than two weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself
      2. why you are interested in the data science position?
      3. introduce a machine leaning project that you've done.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber in July 2016.

Interview

This was the worst interview experience I've ever had, and it has left a profoundly negative taste in my mouth.

First step of the process was great; I scheduled a call, had a long chat about my skills and their relevance to the position, and I moved on to the second step in the process, which was a second HR phone interview.

I scheduled the call. I got an email 10 minutes before the call was supposed to happen, asking to reschedule. I responded immediately with an acceptance to reschedule. I did not hear back until the next day (Friday), asking to reschedule for that afternoon. I rescheduled, the interview was bumped back to later in the day (without asking me first), and then the interviewer didn't call.

I emailed again, apologizing just in case my phone didn't ring, asking to reschedule. I heard back after the weekend was over via email. The interviewer asked for days and times when I would be free, I responded that any day after 1:00pm was good. The interviewer responded by scheduling the interview for Thursday at 10:30am. Ok, I can live with that.

Interviewer called 10 minutes late, asked me a couple questions (of a simple "walk me through your resume" variety), and then offered me a chance to ask questions. I asked a singular question, and the interviewer answered it and then said his goodbyes before I could ask another. Less than ten minutes had passed since he called. I got my rejection the next day.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions I was asked were difficult, and the questions that were asked were largely a repeat of the previous step in the interview (which went exceedingly well).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I looked at a couple of positions on Uber's career page and started an application but didn't submit. The recruiter called anyway. She asked about my past work experience and which team I would be willing to send my resume towards. She was selling the China Growth team really hard (even though I asked for other teams) but a couple of days later the news came out that Uber's China branch is being sold to competitor and of course I don't hear from here again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

first after applying online. they contacted me and after talking on the phone they sent me an exam. and ask you to send it back after 1 week. since i applied for entry level i believe it was extremely difficult.

Interview Questions

• there were 3 part, SQL which was very difficult for entry level.one part with R or Python programming, and Analysis   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The HR reached out to me through Linkedin and we set up a call quickly. Before I got to talk to anyone, they sent me a 3-page task to finish. After I delivered the 10-page papers in a week, they changed me to a lower position without letting me know the reason.

That's fine. Since I have already done the papers, I do not mind just go for that lower level position. Now, that is all the crap happening. They assigned a student fresh out of college to interview me (1.5-year in Uber is all his job experiences). I hold a master from Ivy League and been working in a prestigious consulting firm for 4 years. WTF?

The new kid acted likes he was experienced and throw all the big words to you to try to make you uncomfortable. Interview questions are so rude and immature. Like "have you ever read the job description?", "explain this to a 10-year-old." He did not even know what he was talking about. Totally a frat kid feeling. I decided to not move forward after this interview.

I have not had this bad interview experiences for a long time. Not sure if this is just a west coast thing, or simply Uber culture is bad. However, take a look at the CEO's frat boy behavior to bully its competitors. I do not doubt they will attract the same people.

Absolutely negative expeirnces!

Interview Questions

• Explain join fun in SQL to a 10-year-old?   1 Answer