Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Dec 9, 2017

49 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

One thing I found odd during this whole process was that neither the recruiter nor the person scheduling the interviews ever spoke with me on the phone, leaving me to often wonder what the end-to-end pipeline of the interview process looked like.

I had two phone interviews, both tech screens. The first was with the guy who I think is the hiring manager/leader of the group I was applying to join. That call focused on machine learning combined with a business case. The business case was really interesting and was a scenario that the company often faces but doesn't have a clear "good" answer, so thinking about pros/cons of different suggestions and approaches is key (as well as understanding how to model and measure the complex data that Uber has). This first call went quite well and I enjoyed speaking with the head of the team.

I was passed on to the next screen, which was a coding interview with another member of the team. The coding question was also quite interesting, with a fun twist. I discussed my thought process out loud while working through each piece of the problem. The interviewer seemed to be impatient and interrupted me a LOT. Often when he interrupted me, he would straight up tell me the answer instead of letting me work it through and tell him what I was thinking. This made it difficult to show my proficiency in anything, but was effective in convincing me I did not want to join this team.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who is a data scientist at Uber in a different team, and a recruiter contacted me shortly after approving my CV. I was in close contact with a recruiter by email throughout the entire process. There were four stages:

1) Initial Phone Screen: Had a 30 minute talk with the hiring manager regarding the job, the team, and my background. Was asked about what I found particularly interesting in my work, and I described parts that I thought were relevant to the job.

2) Takehome Exam: Three sections: PostgreSQL questions, experimental/business questions, and data analysis questions. Time was one week. The first two weren't that bad, but the data analysis one was very open ended, and I personally thought that there was a lot of intense modeling that was required to get the interpretation "right".

3) Technical Phone Screen: Originally scheduled for 45 minutes, but ended up talking for 75 because we both had a lot of fun. Interviewer was another data scientist, and he only asked one open-ended question about how I would roll out and set the pricing for a new program at Uber, and we spent half the call hammering it out. Then, he asked a lot about my background, and I his.

4) On Site Interviews: Five hours at HQ with five different interviewers: the team manager, a product manager affiliated with the team, two data scientists on the team, and one "bar-raiser" - kind of a senior and celebrity employee who works on a high profile project. Most interviewers asked briefly about my background, about ten minutes. They all had long open ended questions to see how I would dissect a typical question at Uber. Two of them asked me to write out a few functions in code (you can pick R or Python) to supplement the analysis. I had no SQL questions on site, but I imagine one of the interviewers wanted to but we ran out of time. The bar-raiser was very interesting; he and I discussed a lot about Uber's prospects and details for my plans to make Uber better. Despite all of them asking me about different things, I got the impression that all of them just wanted to know how I think in general.

The recruiter then contacted me a few days later with an email to discuss feedback, and during the call, I received an offer.

This was my first job interview ever (I'm coming straight from academia), so unfortunately I can't say if this was more or less difficult compared to the average data science interview.

Good luck to everyone interviewing.

Interview Questions

• If you were rolling out Uber ride passes for the first time, how would you set the prices?   Answer Question
    • Write out a function to calculate the AUC of an ROC curve.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was a Data Scientist position at the Marketplace Optimization Data Science team.

Contacted by recruiter. First a phone screen with a Senior Data Scientist going over problem solving, stats/math etc, followed by a take-home data science exercise, and finally invited to on-site with 6 back to back interviews.

Didn't get the offer as I was in a pretty bad shape during that day and should have asked to reschedule instead. The interview questions were among the most difficult and quantitative but if you practice your advanced probability and modeling you should do fine. The people at Uber were amazing and I can truly felt that I'll be working with a stellar team if I could've got in. The interviewers will grill you in every way possible but they were never hostile, always on point and reasonable. Everyone was professional from the recruiter to the hiring manager and the overall experience was pleasant.

The only downside is that the onsite schedule seemed a bit rushed with 6 back-to-back interviews with hardly any breaks in between, but probably also tells you how fast-paced Uber is.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure the performance of [some Uber business]?
      Modelling and optimization problems
      Advanced statistics   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Refer by an employee and got an interview two weeks later. A bunch of sql and stat fundamental questions. difference between join, explain p-value, CLT, assumptions for linear regression etc. Need to review basic fundamental questions for stat

Interview Questions

• explain p-value, CLT, assumptions for linear regression etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

There was a 30 minute phone screening which was a just to get to know each other. Afterwards I was given a Data Science Challenge Problem set, which was to be done on my own time, and there was no time limit set. In the end I worked for 2.5 days on problems. I sent in my responses on Friday evening at 3pm. On Monday morning at 9am I was summarily rejected without more explanation than the "fit" wasn't right, without any discussion of my performance on the challenge set.

Interview Questions

• The challenge had 3 parts: SQL, Experiment Design, and Machine Learning.
      In the SQL portion you had to write some queries to answer complicated real world questions (without any data given, just a schema).

In the experiment design portion you are asked to create a hypothetical plan to answer testing a new app.

In the Data Science portion, you are asked to perform binary classification on a given data set, and return insights from the classification.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Interviews with numerous people and a fairly lengthy homework with a very short turnaround time. I delivered the results on time, but they took an eternity to get back. Multiple weeks of complete radio silence. Numerous "will get back to you next week" that didn't happen. Really bad experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Onsite lunch with a contact and met with a couple team members. 45 min phone interview. Onsite involved 7 x 45 min interviews plus a 45 min lunch with a team member. 1 week to respond with final decision.

Interview Questions

• How would you decide what version of Uber to use depending on the device and network?

Given a random Bernoulli trial generator, write a function to return a value sampled from a normal distribution.

What metrics are used in the matching algorithm between riders and drivers?

What would you improve with the Uber app?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber in July 2017.

Interview

First a phone interview with HR. Then a phone interview with data scientist at Uber. She asked about my past projects and tested me on machine learning models (how does random forest work, difference between different unsupervised clustering models). At the end of the interview they asked if I would be interested in the software developer path or analytical path for DS. I chose analytical.

They gave a three part problem set: two SQL code problems, AB experiment design, dataset given to predict if new driver would complete a first ride within 30 days.

Onsite interview: 6 rounds of technical interviews with white boards. SQL problems, machine learning problems, general back of the envelope problems.

The people generally care about their problems they are solving at Uber. But it sounds like there is a lot of org movement and gaps in upper management positions. Strong leadership could be lacking.

They serve free lunch at Uber, and it was the worst campus food I ever ate. I distinctly remember their broccoli was burnt black and their noodles and chicken tasted like microwave food. The atmosphere also seemed sad. A lot of people walking around that didn't look happy. Their market street building was congested inside and looked like it hasn't been renovated for 20 years.

8 weeks after interview and still did not get reimbursement for travel expenses. They approved but won't reimburse my account. They kept making excuses that they had "finance" problems. I would not recommend Uber. They seem disorganized and not at the same caliber as leading Tech companies in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• write out logistic regression using equations   Answer Question
    • design a project you would work on to improve the Uber app   Answer Question
    • What is the expected value of flips to get heads on a fair coin?   1 Answer
    • How much would it cost (initial and sustaining costs) to having a fleet of vehicles take Google street view photos of every major city in the US every day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Referred through a friend, had a few quick informational calls then was sent the take home assignment, followed by onsite.

The take home was a decent problem though it took a while, and I was told I "nailed it". They made me create some slides about it which I thought was strange because the take home assignment was in presentable format, and when I got there it seemed like no one had really looked at my take home. People were nice to me, but scheduling was a mess; they kept on pushing back and moved my onsite at the last minute.

I didn't get asked that many technical questions when onsite, but I got feedback saying my ML/modelling was a concern. Given I had to do a lengthy take home modelling exercise, I am confused but I suppose there could just have been more experienced candidates.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Uber in July 2017.

Interview

I actually liked the questions that I got. They were relevant to the job. Unlike many companies (Spotify, wayfair) where in people mostly ask SD questions and sometimes dont know how to make the interview conversation in terms of Machine learning so this interview I would say perfect in that sense.

Interview Questions

• Basic probability question. Find probability of two cars meeting given certain conditions   1 Answer