Uber Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,465 Interview Reviews

2.9

1,465 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very unique experience, heard of Uber rescinding offer, but never experienced or seen anyone experiencing it. Somehow, I really experienced it.

I applied to core infra, and somehow got interviews with money team. Interviews were very easy, and I got a phone call saying they are willing to extend offer just a day after. I just graduated from a top CS program a year ago, and had offers from some top software company and a top hedge fund, comp package were both at 250k+ for an entry level. Uber as one of the most fast growing company, I just wanted to give it a try.

HR asked me for my current compensation, and that is where the weird thing began. I asked him for opportunities in other teams, since my background was not much about money team. Somehow, hr said the most obvious lie, "Uber right now, except for money team, are looking for senior people, with 5 or more years work experience". I insisted, and then he said "you cannot shop around, that is not how uber hiring process work". He also said, if I am not interested in money team, he would not proceed with an offer. C'mon, I was interviewing with uber, not uber money team.

I picked one team among many teams my Uber friends recommended, and told the hr. My friends have friends working in that team, knew they were hiring junior people. After that, that hr was not answering my email or phone call for almost a day, (i had other pending offers due in 2 days), and also failed to deliver the promise that he would generate the offer within a day (it was day 4 now). I was very annoyed, so I asked my referral friend to find the hr for the team I am interested in, and emailed her and cc'ed my current hr. My hr then finally replied, and said again, there was no position in that team. As I have the info from my friends who contacted team members in that team, they were hiring junior people, so basically my hr lied to my face. He also threatened me not to generate offer if I insist on changing team, since it shows my no interest in money team. I pretty sucked up a lot of non-sense he was saying since I was still waiting for the final package.

Later, hr finally said he got an update. This time, phone call was made from his manager, and hr manager told me they decided to rescind the offer. He thinks my inflexibility was not a fit for uber. (c'mon, I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.

I am very fortunate to have offers from other companies and very excited to join one of the greats, also it really makes me thinking how uber treats its employees, like exploiting drivers as well as firing engineers. I dont know anything about these incidents or people, but just from my experience with them, I think my uber hr's behavior is unethical.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First Round was a basic telephone interview and the interviewer was quite positive and showing deep interest of knowing the work which we have done in past so they could decide on showing faith in the candidate hiring for Uber.

Interview Questions

• How much Coding can you do?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Brief phone call, ask generic questions such as background and why there was an interest to apply at Uber. After interview, email over 2 spread sheets and asked to take a test based on that spread sheet. Seemed to be looking for individuals that could present new ideas that could help the new UberEats applications.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Good passionate folks. I was interviewed by 2 folks. I have over 10 years of work experience and was looking to meet some senior folks on the team. But the folks who interviewed me were recent Graduates - one Was a 2014 MBA graduate and one was a 2010 undergrad. Nothing wrong with it but immaturity clearly showed in the questions they were asking. Seemed like
    they were just ticking off questions off a sheet and were looking for specific answered that matched their cheat sheets.

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Got an email from HR requesting to do a phone screen and made an appointment to speak. Spoke with HR, interview went well and very encouraging. Arrange for technical interview with hiring manager, had cordial conversation, discussed technologies, technical abilities. Made remarks about long tenure and seasoned worker, could tell that my age was a concern. I could tell they were looking for a younger worker. However they seemed encouraging and it was explained what the next steps were. Got a reject letter the next day stating that they choose another candidate that seemed to contradict where the interview left off. Then a fresh ad for the same job was rerun again.

Partner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I was contacted through email initially to set up a call. Overall the call lasted about 20 minutes. I was told I would be contacted in a week if I got the job or not. I was never contacted for a rejection letter or an offer. Overall a negative experience because the recruiter did not do what they said they would do.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to sell a restaurant Uber if they like the competition better?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Hit or miss depending on a team. In my case, it was a pretty negative onsite interview experience, waisted time. Some of my interviewers were immature and plain unprofessional. One person showed up pretty late and was out of focus. Another didn't pay much attention and had attitude. The rest were quite decent. You better know why exactly you want to work at this company as behavioral part goes pretty deep.

Interview Questions

• Easy to medium level questions from Leetcode and their variations.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and after a quick phone screen (he was a contract-based sourcer), passed me to his actual recruiter. She had a quick phone call with me and prefaced the rest of the hiring process with "Well, we approach compensation by weighting it heavily on our stock" - which, in hindsight, was a huge red flag. She said she would send me a test assignment to complete before I would be able to talk to the hiring manager/team, and then forgot to send it to me.

After I followed up, I sent over the assignment and was contacted a week later to schedule a video interview with a member of the team. The recruiting team told me the team member would be asking me about my assignment in a quick 30 minute session. Unfortunately, that's not what they told my first interviewer who believed we had a 45-minute behavioral interview scheduled. She passed me onto the next round, which was in-office, and I met 4 members of the team.

None of the folks I met in person seemed to be excited about their jobs or the company, or prepared at all for the interview. They all asked very basic questions, cared very little about my experience and what I could bring to the team, and just wanted to see if I would stick around the office and work late hours. In the end, I don't think they thought I would, and so I'm glad they decided to pass.

Uber Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Uber (Denver, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

Initially the interview was supposed to be at 1 PM Mountain Time but did not receive the call for the interview until 5 PM Mountain Time because he had a conference call, which sounds realistic but at the same time it doesn't because he and I scheduled the time via Calendly or some calendar app along that word. He said the interview was great, but had to check with his senior managers and see if my time availability is good for the company, but I haven't heard back from them. How long does this normally take?

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was directed and thorough.

Recruiter call - The recruiter was very professional, general questions about professional background, questions on experience pertaining to core job functions and interest in Uber. If you get a call from them, this step shouldn't be an issue.

Analytics v3.1 - Coming from a startup, this wasn't anything new however I spent the night researching the structure of the test. Be comfortable with data manipulation, knowing these functions: Max, Min, Nestedif, Pivot tables, Basic sums, Sumif, Vlookup and Hlookup. It is a combination of multiple choice based on guided data analysis and short answers on how you would make business decisions with the information. As most people have said it is a lengthly exam, it took me the full 2 hours.

Hiring manager call – I finished the exam Sunday morning and heard back from the recruiter I had passed that evening. The next step was a call with the hiring manager. She asked me to review my experience before diving into the specifics of the job. Be prepared to answer situational questions and talk deeply about how you would do the job. We clicked on many points, which made me confident I would be moving on.

Peer call – The next step was to speak to someone currently doing the job I was interviewing for. This was further explanation of the job and more situational questions about how I would make decisions on the job. My advice here, is ask good questions to show you understand the scope of the position and think about solving problems.

Organizational manager call – I had a competing offer so this step was skipped.

In-person Panel - The big day! I had to prepare a presentation based on job-specific data analysis and my management style. The panel was made up of 5 individuals form various parts of the organization. It was a testing and impressive experience. I stuck to my slides but I’m glad I stopped to ask for questions, this is when the real interview started. I was asked to deviate and think bigger, starting a more holistic discussion where I was asked how to solve issues they are currently dealing with. After the panel I met with a manager from the community operations team to assess culture fit and interest in working for Uber. The final step was being walked out by the recruiter.

Final notes - After a week I was given a verbal offer. The interview process impressed me more than the job itself. Despite Uber’s size they are still a startup yet have well thought-out structure.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Is partner wait time (at onboarding centers) even the right metric to focus on? What is the real focus?   Answer Question