Uber Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1,879 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very unique experience, heard of Uber rescinding offer, but never experienced or seen anyone experiencing it. Somehow, I really experienced it.

I applied to core infra, and somehow got interviews with money team. Interviews were very easy, and I got a phone call saying they are willing to extend offer just a day after. I just graduated from a top CS program a year ago, and had offers from some top software company and a top hedge fund, comp package were both at 250k+ for an entry level. Uber as one of the most fast growing company, I just wanted to give it a try.

HR asked me for my current compensation, and that is where the weird thing began. I asked him for opportunities in other teams, since my background was not much about money team. Somehow, hr said the most obvious lie, "Uber right now, except for money team, are looking for senior people, with 5 or more years work experience". I insisted, and then he said "you cannot shop around, that is not how uber hiring process work". He also said, if I am not interested in money team, he would not proceed with an offer. C'mon, I was interviewing with uber, not uber money team.

I picked one team among many teams my Uber friends recommended, and told the hr. My friends have friends working in that team, knew they were hiring junior people. After that, that hr was not answering my email or phone call for almost a day, (i had other pending offers due in 2 days), and also failed to deliver the promise that he would generate the offer within a day (it was day 4 now). I was very annoyed, so I asked my referral friend to find the hr for the team I am interested in, and emailed her and cc'ed my current hr. My hr then finally replied, and said again, there was no position in that team. As I have the info from my friends who contacted team members in that team, they were hiring junior people, so basically my hr lied to my face. He also threatened me not to generate offer if I insist on changing team, since it shows my no interest in money team. I pretty sucked up a lot of non-sense he was saying since I was still waiting for the final package.

Later, hr finally said he got an update. This time, phone call was made from his manager, and hr manager told me they decided to rescind the offer. He thinks my inflexibility was not a fit for uber. (c'mon, I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.

I am very fortunate to have offers from other companies and very excited to join one of the greats, also it really makes me thinking how uber treats its employees, like exploiting drivers as well as firing engineers. I dont know anything about these incidents or people, but just from my experience with them, I think my uber hr's behavior is unethical.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Was reached out to from a recruiter - team seemed eager to get someone of my skillset in the door. Phone screen with HR lead to online analytics test lead to video interview led to in person super-day. General format is mix of behavioral, experiential and case-like questions. (eg: "How do you take feedback, Tell us about a time you had feedback and How would you approach giving someone feedback) General demeanor of interviewers is very cold and slightly arrogant - I think it was a play to intimidate and raise their stature. Personally, this did not phase me though it now raises questions in my mind as to how interested they are in me personally.

For preparation I would recommend having the basic questions (ie what's a weakness, why Uber etc.) and also be prepared to answer "mini-case" discussion questions.

Offers are largely determined based on current total comp. Uber's compensation team offers lower base with generous equity and bonus packages to balance out.

Interview Questions

• How would you incent drivers to drive during a specific time-period?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the biggest area for improvement?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach opening a new market?   1 Answer
    • Please explain how you would investigate a decline in trips per month.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

TL; DR- 5 stage process over 6-7 weeks from applying to call from recruiter after the final interview. Phone screening with a recruiter, Excel Analytical Test, Video Conference with a Manager, Two analytical projects, Final in person interviews + Presentation. If you really want the job, be prepared to invest the effort to earn it.

This is going to be a long post, but the Glassdoor has helped me so much that I feel compelled to share my experience. I went through all 5 rounds and did not get an offer, but I hope experience will help future candidates.

Round 1 - This is a pretty standard phone screening by the recruiter. I was not asked any technical questions, but be prepared to have answers for standard behavioral questions. I also think it's helpful to have a good answer about *why* you want to work for Uber/ *why* you think Uber will be a good fit. Any past experience to make this connection will help.

Round 2 - The famous Excel test. The Excel portion is actually pretty easy if you're familiar with Pivot Tables and adept at sorting through them. There's also a few SAT type math questions. Writing portion is a little more challenging. My best advice is to be friendly, creative, but also practical. Uber has a bunch of writing examples on their Newsroom page, so take a look at those before you start the test. It really helps to understand their business model (I can't stress this enough).

Round 3 - Video conference over Zoom with a manager on the team. There a few behavioral questions, but the main focus was on Uber's business. You need to have a strong understanding of Uber's metrics: why they're important from the driver, riders, and restaurant's perspective (if you're interviewing with UberEATS) and how each metric is affected/ what Uber should do to improve those metrics

Round 4 - Uber will send you an assignment where you will need to complete 2 projects in a presentation format with Excel data to back up your presentation. This is a very important step and does not guarantee you advancement into the Final round. You basically have 3-4 days to develop an analysis and submit it back to the recruiter. The hiring team will then review your presentations and decide if they will invite you to present. I probably spent around 12 hours on the project--including the analysis, research, and making the presentation deck.

Round 5 - Congrats if you made it this far! My final round was 3 hours and had 3 parts: (1) Another case style interview similar to round 3 with a few behavioral questions (2) the presentation, and (3) the video conference behavioral interview.

My advice for the presentation is to focus on the approach of your analyses, assumptions, and why your approach is a sound analyses. Be ready to answer questions that challenge your assumptions or explain how you might use a different approach from an analytical perspective. My interview ended 30 minutes early, so probably not a good thing.

I can't stress this enough, but it's super important you understand Uber's business model (KPI's for drivers, riders, and restaurants if you're interviewing for UberEATS). Another two good areas to learn are Uber's expansion strategy and understanding how Uber recruits (ie promotions/ referrals), manages, and retains drivers. Make sure you have great answers to the behavioral questions.

A week after the final interview, the recruiter called to tell me that the team did not select me for the role. Disappointing, but you move on.

Overall, the process was long, but the recruiter was friendly and so was the team. I know Uber has had a ton of negative press this year, but I didn't get a sense of the toxic culture from my interviews. They were definitely open to talking about it, but I didn't make it a huge part of my questioning cause it didn't feel like the best use of my time to pepper them with these questions during the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Overall, the interview process took about 5 weeks, with an additional week for me to accept the offer. It's worth noting that after my in-person interview on a Monday, I did not hear anything until the next Friday at the end of the day. The interview process was moderately difficult and I felt that it was hard to know how an interview went.

Wednesday- Made an account on Uber's career website. On the same day I was emailed by a recruiter about setting up a phone interview despite not yet submitting a resume or applying for a position.

Tuesday- Phone interview. This was only half an hour long. I was informed that one of the positions I was looking at had been filled, and I would be applying for the other position. The interview was casual, but fast-paced with questions that had me thinking about and discussing hypothetical situations that Uber might encounter. There was a fair amount of brainstorming and idea generation required to get through this call. It's good to be able to talk about why you want to work at Uber, not just for yourself, but also because you believe in their mission. After this interview, my recruiter told me that they would be sending the analytics test which I had one week to complete.

Tuesday- Took the 2 hour analytics test late at night. Most of the test involves answering pretty straightforward Excel questions, but it's good to be able to get through these quickly using shortcuts, pivot tables, and formulas. Some problems can be solved more "manually," but this will waste time. I thought that the qualitative questions (both multiple choice and short essays) were pretty tough, and I did not have time to check my answers.

Wednesday- In the afternoon, I received a call from the person I had my initial phone interview with, telling me that I passed the analytics test. At this point I was passed off to a different recruiter. In the evening, I got an email inviting me to a video interview with my hiring manager to take place on Friday.

Friday- The video interview was 45 minutes long and was my first time meeting my hiring manager. It was similar to the initial phone interview, but more specific to the city I was applying in and my role. I was nervous and did not feel like this interview went well since I had some trouble connecting with the interviewer. At the same time, I thought that I answered the analytical questions well and felt as though I was a good fit for the position and just hoped that came across.

Monday- Got an email saying that they wanted to bring me into the office for an interview with the team. In addition, my recruiter set up a 15-minute phone call with me that evening to talk about whether I had other offers, time constraints, benefits, salary, etc. I wanted to schedule my in-person interview for the upcoming Friday, but on Wednesday was informed that Friday didn't work for the team. Scheduled for Monday instead.

Monday- The final, in-person interview consisted of a couple of sessions with various people I would be working with, with my hiring manager there the whole time observing and asking questions, an Excel assignment and a SQL assignment, which I had about 40 min to complete together, an interview with someone from a different Uber product team, a video interview with someone from a different office, and an interview with the GM at the office I was applying at. Overall, this process took 5 hours, and by the end I really wasn't sure if it went well or not. For this interview, it's helpful to think through scenarios and Uber as a whole from the driver-partner perspective, as this is a lot of the current focus. In addition, it's good to think of what you think the "pain points" at Uber currently are and what you think would be some good solutions to fix them. One other tip: the office is casual. I wore a business casual outfit, but still felt out of place. I would recommend wearing nice jeans.

Wednesday- My recruiter emailed me to tell me that the team enjoyed meeting me, they were currently interviewing other candidates, and I should know early next week. Around this time, I sent thank you emails to the main people who interviewed me, but didn’t hear anything back.

Next Wednesday- I emailed my recruiter asking if there were any updates since I hadn't heard anything in a week.

Thursday- My recruiter responded saying that she should know by the end of the week.

Friday- In the afternoon, my recruiter emailed me asking if I had time to chat at 5 PM. I really did not think that I had gotten an offer, but received the news that I had. My hiring manager and a new recruiter were on the phone, and they went over the base salary offer, the equity offer, benefits, etc.

Tuesday- Had a catch up with my recruiters, and there was some back and forth negotiation. I was able to negotiate for a slightly higher salary and did a cash-equity trade for slightly more base salary.

Friday- Accepted offer. Set my start-date for one month later.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the largest issue facing Uber today? What would you propose as a solution?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Brief phone interview with the recruiter, went back and forth times they would bring me in, eventually they brought me in and were very terse about what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• They asked me various routing questions, and scenarios and how I would solve them.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Well, first there was an email from a recuiter and then a test. The recruiter was just interested in free work. It was very impersonal. I never talked to an actual human. Worst interview process I have ever participated in.

Interview Questions

• How to solve "multi-selection" as an interaction paradigm.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Dallas, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

First, I want to say how glad I was that I read through interview feedback on Glassdoor for others applying to this type of position. It is definitely a rigorous interview/ hiring process and it made me feel more prepared. There's 5 steps to the process- (mine was for the UberEATs product specifically)
    1. initial phone interview with national recruiter
    2. Analytics test - not super hard! Mix of excel basics and theoretical questions
    3. Phone interview with regional recruiter in specific department
    - basically same feel as #1
    4. Video interview with team lead
    5. On site interview days- supposed to take several hours for about 5 interviews.

I made it to step 4 and was informed after the video interview that I did not make it to the final step. Although the process was rigorous and required me to do a lot of prep, research and be on my toes, I enjoyed it overall! Was glad I went in knowing it would be hard and so overall the process was enjoyable- was bummed/ surprised not to make it to final step, but I know how competitive these things are.

I know other reviewers have tough criticisms of this process, I actually liked the prep work it required because they really want someone who knows the product and can bring that passion into their team.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background and what lead you to Uber? Why Uber?   Answer Question
    • If you were going to enter a new market and had it narrowed down to a college campus or business park, what steps would you take/ factors would you consider to make a decision?   Answer Question
    • Questions about how to balance the rides and EATs sides of business in same market without cannibalizing either one   Answer Question

Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY).

Interview

No interview just have to pass inteview test and have toc license in nyc. Pass baskground check and drug test. Preety easy process and good money in nyc. Wveryone is friendly in the ube roffice

SRE Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Every step of the process was smooth and every person I spoke with was knowledgeable in their field. I had two phone screenings. First was experience , second was a skills questoinare.

UberX Driver Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Absolutely no interview required; only an application period where you must be approved based on background check, driving record, vehicle approval, and insurance verification. After the process, you are ready to hit the road. That was a big seller for me; the ability to begin making money very soon after applying.

Interview Questions

• Uber does not conduct any interview questions. You may have to have an encounter in a Greenlight Hub, but it is not a formal interview process   Answer Question