Uber Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 27, 2017
1,677 Interview Reviews

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Interviewer was decent at the start but as the interview progressed, he became silent. I knew how to implement but was having some trouble compiling the code, as i had misspelled one of the c+ stl functions, and was getting errors all over the place.

Uber Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

There was first an online assessment that I was required to complete. Afterwards, I was given an invitation for a telephone interview. The telephone interviewer asked me a few questions, and the whole interview took less than ten minutes.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

This was overall a poor interview experience and highly unprofessional (not saying this because I'm bitter). I got invited onsite to meet with 6 people - half of them had no idea what role I was interviewing for. They came in completely unprepared which led to awkward pauses and very basic questions to fill time. On top of this, a few aired their dirty laundry in front of me.

One person asked me to rate my skills in which I gave a pretty humble response. Impressed my humility, he proceeded to tell me that he works with a bunch of jerks and cannot afford to hire anymore like them. Another guy used me to confirm whether geo-targeting was possible for a campaign because his teammates have been telling that it wasn't possible. He was upset they've been saying "no" to him.

They then evaluated my analytical skills by asking me "calculate how many potential drivers there are in the US" and to show my math on the board. I thought we were done with brain teasers in interviews? This should no way be an indicator of how well I can do my job. He then proceeded to ask me statistics questions even though I specifically said I am not experienced with stats nor am I interviewing for an statistician or analyst role.

Finally, everything wrapped up and I'm waiting in the room for recruiter to come escort me out. Some random guy walks in to tell me I'm in the wrong room and he needs to walk me out because he has the room booked. I told him I'm a candidate, but that didn't stop him. He dropped me off in the Kitchen where I awkwardly waited for someone to come find me. That's definitely not how you should treat a candidate.

Overall, very disorganized group with lack of professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Calculate how many potential drivers there are in the US?   Answer Question

UberX Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (San Diego, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I was working PT at Legoland and heard about Uber. Decided to sign up online where it tells you to go to one of their locations for a car inspection. Got that done the next day. The background check takes about a week and you need all your car paperwork in order of course. Once everything cleared, I quit Legoland and started driving. I loved it. Did it for 2 years until the rates got way too low.

Interview Questions

• Just asked for valid drivers license, car registration and insurance. Has to be a newer car in good shape.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Uber in May 2016.

Interview

Terrible experience. Recruiter reached out to me online and eventually passed me onto an interview coordinator to set up a phone screen. The phone screen itself was alright -- nothing out of the norm.

Fast forward 2 weeks and no response, so I send an email to the recruiter to follow up on my status. 1 week later, still no response -- at this point I figured they were obviously not moving on with me, but at least I had hoped for the courtesy of being rejected. I emailed the interview coordinator this time to see if there was a mix-up and immediately got a dismissive email back saying they had already sent me a rejection email 4 weeks ago and I probably missed that email because it went to spam or something.

Well guess what, the phone interview was 3 weeks ago, so either they already made their mind up to reject me before I even interviewed, or they just blatantly lied to me. Either reflects very poorly on the company and given recent PR developments, can't say I didn't expect any different.

Logistics Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Scheduled a phone screen with recruiter just few days after I applied the job through Uber website. Overall experience was bad but the recruiter Sarah was a phenomenal person. She asked me some questions about my most recent job and I received a data exercise in the second day. I did my best on this exercise in a week. Two days later they sent me a email says they selected someone else. I am totally fine with a rejection letter but the only thing I feel bad is I believe I deserve some feedback about my solution like what Google and Amazon do to their applicants since I spend a whole week on it. Uber was a great company but the interview process is killing their reputation.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted less than an hour after submitting my application by a recruiting coordinator in the DC office. I applied on a Wednesday and set up a call with the recruiting coordinator for the following Monday.

First, she called me about 15 minutes late and when she did she had me on speaker in a room with bad connection and echoes. I kept asking her to repeat her questions and kindly communicated that I was not able to hear her to which she answered that it was the room and then proceeded to do nothing about it. The "interview" lasted about 8 minutes total. It seemed like she just called me to check of numbers rather than because she was really interested and that to me is disrespectful of my time.

I see that now she has been promoted to "sourcer" and I'm not surprised, since Uber has been getting negative press on employee treatment. It all starts with the people you have hiring and it seems like they do not respect the process as well or have respect for people's time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Uber (Monterey, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The entire interview process was handled by my university. On the interview day I had three different interviews with different interviewers scheduled around different times throughout the day. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes were two were coding and the last one was about design.

Retail Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)) in April 2017.

Interview

The process takes 1.5 months in average. the Interview flow is the following:
    1st contact thru a recruiter. Then an Skype interview is set for 1 or 2 days after. This is the entry level questions in a meeting for 30 min were the first recruiter evaluates your motivation, inspiration, joy, what drives you, your style and a bit of general knowledge about UBER.
    If the recruiter thinks you are up to the race then will deliver an e-mail to complete a test. here's an extract of what you'll be prompted:
     "You have been invited to attend the challenge Greenlight Manager - Uber Analytics Test V3.1
    The test is number based and logical questions. Pivot tables and quick answers on raw data organization is necessary. 2 hrs are intended to be as there's no much time left for corrections or delays. Is a bit demanding so I really recommend to have all resources possible prior completing the test.
    Then you are guided to set another Skype interview with recruiter number 2 thru Calendy. This interview is a week after the first one. During the 2nd interview a more experienced recruiter starts to pop questions with more insight in what you have to offer, what are tour strengths and weakness, describing your experience and how will be applicable to UBER and the position itself. During this interview a more detailed approach is given by the recruiter for you to understand the position open not just from the task, roles & responsibilities but for the workflow and scope of work slightly. This interview is 30 min long. This 2nd recruiter will be your pivot point and you'll have open communications all along thru process with him/her.
    Then 2 interviews are set for that same week one after another. 30 min each. The interviewers are actual managers working in other countries with similar positions that the one you are competing. It could be peers or same position. However the idea is clear: For them to have an overview of yourself in terms of team management, problems solving approach, leadership skills, empathy etc. They will tell you how's the job you'll be doing in a much more detailed insight and questions re much allowed at the end of the interview. it's very important to ask as many interesting open question you can as you'll be needing that info later on in the process. If Both interviewers qualify you OK, then you continue...
    Another e-mail is resumed by you assigned recruiter, in 2 -3 days from last interview. Now you'll have to complete a creative test.
    "The purpouse of this exercise is that you can have a better picture of what this role is, and for the team to have a better idea of your Customer Service, Organization and Analytical skills."
    The recruiter ask for you to deliver an excel file completed were you make your calcs and a presentation (could be in ppt or keynote) that will be presented in 10-15 mins later.
    After you finish the exercise and send that e-mail and send your availability for meet during the following week, you are set in to assist to Uber headquarters depending on the city you are applying. Another e-mail is received by a 3rd recruiter (local) that will send you the information of address, people who are going to interview you and schedule. This is the final proof. 5 People will be interviewing you. 30 min each talking to you and reviewing your profile in a seek for each of them that you pass their biasses and mental filters.
    First, you'll have a one on one video chat with 2 interviewers that will ask you mostly your motivations, experience and will ask to present to them during 10-15 min your slides. Ask really meaningful questions aligned with the position and probably the exercise idea is to show what kind of problems they are into.
    Second, another video interview from operations & logistic manager overseas asking a much more number focus questions, the way you think and how you solve problems etc.
    Third; the General manager of the location/region/country will approach you during a 30 min chat in person. This is the most difficult one depending on the GM style. You need to show confidence and show you're the one to choose. How? by answer his questions using all the insight you've been collecting during the process. The business model is the main focus, the idea is you to have all the information from the market, the approach the strategy they are putting in place etc before you start that chat. The main questions here are growth issues, strategy approach, team management, and how will you achieve it...
    Fourth: Another one on one meeting with an operations & logistic manager... This more focus in new ideas, ways of thinking, will hand you paper and pencil for you to draw process flows of an specific issue they might be having etc. The idea is to rank how quick and effective are you to draw an idea or a process.
    Still waiting on the offer...

Interview Questions

• Why Uber?
      Why are you the one for UBER?
      Tell me 2 things that you do very good and 2 things you'll probably change?
      How you manage change? how you adapt? tell me an specific example
      If we are growing and suddenly need to focus on efficiency, what will you do?
      How do you motivate your team? Give examples
      Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Uber (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

It was an online interview process. I joined their chatroom but I have to wait a couple minutes because the interviewer was late. It was loud on their end. Only asked two questions and seemed unprofessional.