Uber Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Uber

2,918 Interview Reviews

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I had a few initial interviews with HR, followed by two tech interviews via phone, and an on site interview. The whole process took about a month. Interviewers were pretty nice and patient people. I enjoyed talking to them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I contacted recruiter and was promptly set up for phone screens for a full stack developer role in Uber Freight. There was supposed to be just one phone screen but they scheduled one more to see if I was a good fit. I was interviewing for a full stack role but was interviewed by a back end engineer first. They felt I had strong front-end skills and so got a front end engineer to interview me. However, the front-end engineer never asked me any front-end questions - it was just a plain algorithmic interview. Unlike Lyft and Airbnb, I like how the interviewers ask questions beyond just programming. They try to get to know you, explain the role and skills required, future projects.

I think I messed up the second phonescreen as my solution for longest palindromic substring did not work for even length palindromes. I had 5 minutes to fix it and buckled under pressure. The code worked well for odd length palindromes. However, my approach was correct and I even provided ideas on how we could fix the bug but it was not sufficient.

Interview Questions

• Convert a string with digits into a literal representation of the number like: 1001 to one thousand one   2 Answers
    • typical programming question asked by young 20 year olds at these companies: longest palindromic substring.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I had a referral so I decided to go ahead and interview despite the recent poor reputation. At the end of the phone screen, I asked for disability accommodations (learning/mental health disabilities). I specifically said a take-home assignment (which my referral said he did many years ago) is best for me but that we could discuss other options. The recruiter says he will discuss with the team and get back to me. Shortly after, he emails me back to say they will not assign a take-home and asks if I want to try the regular live code/whiteboarding method, that I "have nothing to lose" (yes, I do).

I talk to my referral, who talks to his HM, who says all they can do is make the interviewer aware of the situation. This is like saying the interviewer can be unbiased and it is not an accommodation. Clearly they need to read the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Interview Questions

• Just normal phone screen questions - tell me more about your background, what are you looking for, etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Boston, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume online and was contacted by a recruiter who setup a first technical interview which included a technical question as well as a personality/teaming question. Within a few hours of being done with the first interview, I was contacted saying they wanted to arrange a second interview. This was conducted about a week later. Then I waited about a week to hear back with the results.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes a list of "ranges" and returns a list of the minimum number of "ranges" by combining overlapping "ranges".   1 Answer
    • Write a function that takes a list of all available cars and returns the 10 nearest cars to a user's location.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Application
    I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.
    Interview
    Very unique experience, heard of Uber rescinding offer, but never experienced or seen anyone experiencing it. Somehow, I really experienced it.
    I applied to core infra, and somehow got interviews with money team. Interviews were very easy, and I got a phone call saying they are willing to extend offer just a day after. I just graduated from a top CS program a year ago, and had offers from some top software company and a top hedge fund, comp package were both at 250k+ for an entry level. Uber as one of the most fast growing company, I just wanted to give it a try.
    HR asked me for my current compensation, and that is where the weird thing began. I asked him for opportunities in other teams, since my background was not much about money team. Somehow, hr said the most obvious lie, "Uber right now, except for money team, are looking for senior people, with 5 or more years work experience". I insisted, and then he said "you cannot shop around, that is not how uber hiring process work". He also said, if I am not interested in money team, he would not proceed with an offer. C'mon, I was interviewing with uber, not uber money team.
    I picked one team among many teams my Uber friends recommended, and told the hr. My friends have friends working in that team, knew they were hiring junior people. After that, that hr was not answering my email or phone call for almost a day, (i had other pending offers due in 2 days), and also failed to deliver the promise that he would generate the offer within a day (it was day 4 now). I was very annoyed, so I asked my referral friend to find the hr for the team I am interested in, and emailed her and cc'ed my current hr. My hr then finally replied, and said again, there was no position in that team. As I have the info from my friends who contacted team members in that team, they were hiring junior people, so basically my hr lied to my face. He also threatened me not to generate offer if I insist on changing team, since it shows my no interest in money team. I pretty sucked up a lot of non-sense he was saying since I was still waiting for the final package.
    Later, hr finally said he got an update. This time, phone call was made from his manager, and hr manager told me they decided to rescind the offer. He thinks my inflexibility was not a fit for uber. (c'mon, I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.
    I am very fortunate to have offers from other companies and very excited to join one of the greats, also it really makes me thinking how uber treats its employees, like exploiting drivers as well as firing engineers. I dont know anything about these incidents or people, but just from my experience with them, I think my uber hr's behavior is unethical.

Interview Questions

• I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I would categorize my technical phone screen as "no scope for candidate to succeed".

My interviewer came 10 mins late. After the initial introductions, I was provided with the interview question (see below). I explained my approach and completed pseudo code. At 30 min mark, I started coding. 5 mins into coding, my code got deleted. It was weird that question and pseudocode remained untouched. The interviewer definitely was taking a copy of code in first five minutes and deleted it accidentally. I was asked to retype the code.

I finished the implementation at 50 min mark with test cases passing. I refactored the code with test cases passing. There were no additional questions. The solution was provided and interview ended on time inspite of delays.

I was informed that Uber decided not to proceed beyond first technical screen.

I reached out requesting feedback that will help me in the future but no answer.

Interview Questions

• Node traversal in a cyclic graph.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Recruiter calls to gauge your interest. Then phone screen, followed by on sites. Thing is the interviewer was barely communicating and even put himself on mute for several minutes. I guess he was just doing something else and was not trying to pay attention to what I was doing.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Spoke to the recruiter who scheduled a phone screen. I had no idea about the team before the interview. It felt like a junior person was interviewing me shadowed by a senior person.
    I was asked to implement a API rate limiter in the UI. No one has ever asked such a question. Was totally unexpected. No useful hints from the interviewer. Felt like they were uninterested.
    At the end I asked what the role was about. To which he replied the manager will make sure you get work that you will enjoy. Answer was very amateurish. Was not a very positive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

Uber interviews for the specific position you applied for. The recruiter called after 2 days of applying through their careers website. During phone screen , resume is discussed for about 10-15 minutes after which is the coding challenge. The problem asked was LeetCode Hard which I was not expecting in Phone screen. The interviewer was very gruff and treated the clarification questions as if they were obvious to her. She kept quiet throughout and was just interested in running the code and seeing if the correct answer is outputted.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

One email correspondence and then one phone screening. Interviewer was nice as it was my first ever interview but it didn't go well because it was my first coding interview. He could have been a bit more patient but overall it was a good first experience.

Interview Questions

• Design a price surge system, both at a high level and the architecture   Answer Question