Uber Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 23, 2017

3.2

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber in April 2017.

Interview

Found position online and applied; Answered a few questions and submitted resume; Contacted by recruiter to setup initial 45 minute interview; Learned about position and then went into resume recap and a few behavioral questions; 2 hour Excel test; Onsite interview with presentation

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a poor performing employee and how you addressed it   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was directed and thorough.

Recruiter call - The recruiter was very professional, general questions about professional background, questions on experience pertaining to core job functions and interest in Uber. If you get a call from them, this step shouldn't be an issue.

Analytics v3.1 - Coming from a startup, this wasn't anything new however I spent the night researching the structure of the test. Be comfortable with data manipulation, knowing these functions: Max, Min, Nestedif, Pivot tables, Basic sums, Sumif, Vlookup and Hlookup. It is a combination of multiple choice based on guided data analysis and short answers on how you would make business decisions with the information. As most people have said it is a lengthly exam, it took me the full 2 hours.

Hiring manager call – I finished the exam Sunday morning and heard back from the recruiter I had passed that evening. The next step was a call with the hiring manager. She asked me to review my experience before diving into the specifics of the job. Be prepared to answer situational questions and talk deeply about how you would do the job. We clicked on many points, which made me confident I would be moving on.

Peer call – The next step was to speak to someone currently doing the job I was interviewing for. This was further explanation of the job and more situational questions about how I would make decisions on the job. My advice here, is ask good questions to show you understand the scope of the position and think about solving problems.

Organizational manager call – I had a competing offer so this step was skipped.

In-person Panel - The big day! I had to prepare a presentation based on job-specific data analysis and my management style. The panel was made up of 5 individuals form various parts of the organization. It was a testing and impressive experience. I stuck to my slides but I’m glad I stopped to ask for questions, this is when the real interview started. I was asked to deviate and think bigger, starting a more holistic discussion where I was asked how to solve issues they are currently dealing with. After the panel I met with a manager from the community operations team to assess culture fit and interest in working for Uber. The final step was being walked out by the recruiter.

Final notes - After a week I was given a verbal offer. The interview process impressed me more than the job itself. Despite Uber’s size they are still a startup yet have well thought-out structure.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Is partner wait time (at onboarding centers) even the right metric to focus on? What is the real focus?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview Questions

• I applied online. After a week, they send me Uber V3.1 Test to complete. The questions are quite long and time limit. Luckily, have download 2 sets of data and 32 questions. After I double check, I find that I may not pass it. Until now, I did not here from Uber.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of Uber and the solution provided by Uber. It resolved the arrogance of the Taxi industry.

But my interview experience with Uber makes me wonder if they transferred it to the recruiting process. I interviewed with Uber yesterday and it was one of the worst experiences I have had.

1. The recruiter was running late and I was never informed. Once I got the call from the recruiter, there were no apologies exchanged and no interest in knowing me

2. Interview call lasted for 15 minutes and the recruiter asked me two questions. I could sense clearly that the recruiter was not at all interested in talking to me.

3. When I asked the recruiter what is difference between Regional Operations Manager and Operations Manager, I was told that the difference is that one is regional the other one is not. Awesome response.

Bottomline- I strongly feel that the recruiter had no interest in taking the interview. I dont know if the recruiter was overburdened with work or if the recruiter was incapable of conducting the interview or if she was reflecting the work culture.

Whatever it is, I hope that Uber recruiting team looks at this matter and hopefully avoid this situation for future recruits.

Good luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

The process took a month. Included an analytics test, a phone screen with a recruiter, a phone screen with the hiring manager and 5 rounds of video interviews for the final round. The recruiting processes at Uber don't seem very mature/organized relative to what I've seen at other organizations of similar sizes/structures. Also, the company is obviously frugal given that the entire interview process (upto the final round) was done online/via telephone. Some of the interviewers seemed outright bored, which was offensive to the interviewee. The assignment work and interview questions appeared to be oriented towards crowdsourcing competitive intelligence, which seems outright unethical.

Interview Questions

• Multiple questions about processes/infrastructure at prior employers through which they seemed to be benchmarking their own existing processes/infrastructure   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Recruiter -> Hiring Manager-> onsite-> hiring manager-> recruiter
    The team was super creative, focused and inspiring to talk to. A bunch of talented folks.
    The "technical" questions came from the devops team who were the most underwhelming of those I spoke to - they were transactional and applied whack-a-mole logic to managing a fast growing environment. To pass the devops challenge I had to follow their approach to managing their estate -visualize all, alert on everything so someone can see them(?) and whack them faster. I am sure it's just a pocket.

Overall, they operate in chaos but able to move the needle - a great experience and great team.

Interview Questions

• Architecture questions
      People management
      Strategy

Wide range of talent but the questions or segments were not difficult   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Had an initial phone interview with someone in their LA office. Was then invited for in person interview in the NY office. Be aware their NY office is not in Manhattan as one would think, it is in Queens. I emailed the person I scheduled my interview with to ask if their was parking, she said she had no idea because she was stationed in Washington D.C. I attempted to look for street parking, no spots, and found out there was a lot right across the street! Wish someone would have told me! Walked in, drivers were running around everywhere. It was a mad house, I could not tell who actually worked there. Finally found someone who worked there. Went into a small room with 3 women to interview. Very awkward and unprofessional interview. All 3 sat on their phones the entire time texting. Just kept asking me if I had questions. When I asked why the chose to work at UBER one woman got very flustered and her response was "I feel like I am on an interview." I could not wait to get out of there.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work for uber?   1 Answer

Operation Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Should work more on their structure and respect interviewees - ignoring emails is not a great way to handle or respect people who showed interests in your company.

Despite a great company as it is, this has ruined my total good feelings on them.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber in February 2013.

Interview

Very straightforward! There is a screening, then an analytical exercise, followed by speaking with similar level folks from the local office you are applying for. I was very surprised to get a call from the recruiter after applying online but the conversation was very straight forward. Have to be able to sell yourself for that position and explain why you love the company (which isn't hard if you are an avid user!)

Interview Questions

• The analytical exercise is by far the most difficult.   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Online test, need to act fast and answer questions on raw data and numbers. Handling CSV and Excel files. It lasts 2 hours and there are open questions as well. Need to be familiar with Uber terminology

Interview Questions

• Questions on Uber business model and multiple questions on manipulating data   Answer Question