Uber Operations and Logistics Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 24, 2017

3.5

182 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Was reached out to from a recruiter - team seemed eager to get someone of my skillset in the door. Phone screen with HR lead to online analytics test lead to video interview led to in person super-day. General format is mix of behavioral, experiential and case-like questions. (eg: "How do you take feedback, Tell us about a time you had feedback and How would you approach giving someone feedback) General demeanor of interviewers is very cold and slightly arrogant - I think it was a play to intimidate and raise their stature. Personally, this did not phase me though it now raises questions in my mind as to how interested they are in me personally.

For preparation I would recommend having the basic questions (ie what's a weakness, why Uber etc.) and also be prepared to answer "mini-case" discussion questions.

Offers are largely determined based on current total comp. Uber's compensation team offers lower base with generous equity and bonus packages to balance out.

Interview Questions

• How would you incent drivers to drive during a specific time-period?   Answer Question
  • What do you think is the biggest area for improvement?   Answer Question
  • How would you approach opening a new market?   1 Answer
  • Please explain how you would investigate a decline in trips per month.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

TL; DR- 5 stage process over 6-7 weeks from applying to call from recruiter after the final interview. Phone screening with a recruiter, Excel Analytical Test, Video Conference with a Manager, Two analytical projects, Final in person interviews + Presentation. If you really want the job, be prepared to invest the effort to earn it.

This is going to be a long post, but the Glassdoor has helped me so much that I feel compelled to share my experience. I went through all 5 rounds and did not get an offer, but I hope experience will help future candidates.

Round 1 - This is a pretty standard phone screening by the recruiter. I was not asked any technical questions, but be prepared to have answers for standard behavioral questions. I also think it's helpful to have a good answer about *why* you want to work for Uber/ *why* you think Uber will be a good fit. Any past experience to make this connection will help.

Round 2 - The famous Excel test. The Excel portion is actually pretty easy if you're familiar with Pivot Tables and adept at sorting through them. There's also a few SAT type math questions. Writing portion is a little more challenging. My best advice is to be friendly, creative, but also practical. Uber has a bunch of writing examples on their Newsroom page, so take a look at those before you start the test. It really helps to understand their business model (I can't stress this enough).

Round 3 - Video conference over Zoom with a manager on the team. There a few behavioral questions, but the main focus was on Uber's business. You need to have a strong understanding of Uber's metrics: why they're important from the driver, riders, and restaurant's perspective (if you're interviewing with UberEATS) and how each metric is affected/ what Uber should do to improve those metrics

Round 4 - Uber will send you an assignment where you will need to complete 2 projects in a presentation format with Excel data to back up your presentation. This is a very important step and does not guarantee you advancement into the Final round. You basically have 3-4 days to develop an analysis and submit it back to the recruiter. The hiring team will then review your presentations and decide if they will invite you to present. I probably spent around 12 hours on the project--including the analysis, research, and making the presentation deck.

Round 5 - Congrats if you made it this far! My final round was 3 hours and had 3 parts: (1) Another case style interview similar to round 3 with a few behavioral questions (2) the presentation, and (3) the video conference behavioral interview.

My advice for the presentation is to focus on the approach of your analyses, assumptions, and why your approach is a sound analyses. Be ready to answer questions that challenge your assumptions or explain how you might use a different approach from an analytical perspective. My interview ended 30 minutes early, so probably not a good thing.

I can't stress this enough, but it's super important you understand Uber's business model (KPI's for drivers, riders, and restaurants if you're interviewing for UberEATS). Another two good areas to learn are Uber's expansion strategy and understanding how Uber recruits (ie promotions/ referrals), manages, and retains drivers. Make sure you have great answers to the behavioral questions.

A week after the final interview, the recruiter called to tell me that the team did not select me for the role. Disappointing, but you move on.

Overall, the process was long, but the recruiter was friendly and so was the team. I know Uber has had a ton of negative press this year, but I didn't get a sense of the toxic culture from my interviews. They were definitely open to talking about it, but I didn't make it a huge part of my questioning cause it didn't feel like the best use of my time to pepper them with these questions during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you model growth?   1 Answer

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Overall, the interview process took about 5 weeks, with an additional week for me to accept the offer. It's worth noting that after my in-person interview on a Monday, I did not hear anything until the next Friday at the end of the day. The interview process was moderately difficult and I felt that it was hard to know how an interview went.

Wednesday- Made an account on Uber's career website. On the same day I was emailed by a recruiter about setting up a phone interview despite not yet submitting a resume or applying for a position.

Tuesday- Phone interview. This was only half an hour long. I was informed that one of the positions I was looking at had been filled, and I would be applying for the other position. The interview was casual, but fast-paced with questions that had me thinking about and discussing hypothetical situations that Uber might encounter. There was a fair amount of brainstorming and idea generation required to get through this call. It's good to be able to talk about why you want to work at Uber, not just for yourself, but also because you believe in their mission. After this interview, my recruiter told me that they would be sending the analytics test which I had one week to complete.

Tuesday- Took the 2 hour analytics test late at night. Most of the test involves answering pretty straightforward Excel questions, but it's good to be able to get through these quickly using shortcuts, pivot tables, and formulas. Some problems can be solved more "manually," but this will waste time. I thought that the qualitative questions (both multiple choice and short essays) were pretty tough, and I did not have time to check my answers.

Wednesday- In the afternoon, I received a call from the person I had my initial phone interview with, telling me that I passed the analytics test. At this point I was passed off to a different recruiter. In the evening, I got an email inviting me to a video interview with my hiring manager to take place on Friday.

Friday- The video interview was 45 minutes long and was my first time meeting my hiring manager. It was similar to the initial phone interview, but more specific to the city I was applying in and my role. I was nervous and did not feel like this interview went well since I had some trouble connecting with the interviewer. At the same time, I thought that I answered the analytical questions well and felt as though I was a good fit for the position and just hoped that came across.

Monday- Got an email saying that they wanted to bring me into the office for an interview with the team. In addition, my recruiter set up a 15-minute phone call with me that evening to talk about whether I had other offers, time constraints, benefits, salary, etc. I wanted to schedule my in-person interview for the upcoming Friday, but on Wednesday was informed that Friday didn't work for the team. Scheduled for Monday instead.

Monday- The final, in-person interview consisted of a couple of sessions with various people I would be working with, with my hiring manager there the whole time observing and asking questions, an Excel assignment and a SQL assignment, which I had about 40 min to complete together, an interview with someone from a different Uber product team, a video interview with someone from a different office, and an interview with the GM at the office I was applying at. Overall, this process took 5 hours, and by the end I really wasn't sure if it went well or not. For this interview, it's helpful to think through scenarios and Uber as a whole from the driver-partner perspective, as this is a lot of the current focus. In addition, it's good to think of what you think the "pain points" at Uber currently are and what you think would be some good solutions to fix them. One other tip: the office is casual. I wore a business casual outfit, but still felt out of place. I would recommend wearing nice jeans.

Wednesday- My recruiter emailed me to tell me that the team enjoyed meeting me, they were currently interviewing other candidates, and I should know early next week. Around this time, I sent thank you emails to the main people who interviewed me, but didn’t hear anything back.

Next Wednesday- I emailed my recruiter asking if there were any updates since I hadn't heard anything in a week.

Thursday- My recruiter responded saying that she should know by the end of the week.

Friday- In the afternoon, my recruiter emailed me asking if I had time to chat at 5 PM. I really did not think that I had gotten an offer, but received the news that I had. My hiring manager and a new recruiter were on the phone, and they went over the base salary offer, the equity offer, benefits, etc.

Tuesday- Had a catch up with my recruiters, and there was some back and forth negotiation. I was able to negotiate for a slightly higher salary and did a cash-equity trade for slightly more base salary.

Friday- Accepted offer. Set my start-date for one month later.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the largest issue facing Uber today? What would you propose as a solution?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Dallas, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

First, I want to say how glad I was that I read through interview feedback on Glassdoor for others applying to this type of position. It is definitely a rigorous interview/ hiring process and it made me feel more prepared. There's 5 steps to the process- (mine was for the UberEATs product specifically)
    1. initial phone interview with national recruiter
    2. Analytics test - not super hard! Mix of excel basics and theoretical questions
    3. Phone interview with regional recruiter in specific department
    - basically same feel as #1
    4. Video interview with team lead
    5. On site interview days- supposed to take several hours for about 5 interviews.

I made it to step 4 and was informed after the video interview that I did not make it to the final step. Although the process was rigorous and required me to do a lot of prep, research and be on my toes, I enjoyed it overall! Was glad I went in knowing it would be hard and so overall the process was enjoyable- was bummed/ surprised not to make it to final step, but I know how competitive these things are.

I know other reviewers have tough criticisms of this process, I actually liked the prep work it required because they really want someone who knows the product and can bring that passion into their team.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background and what lead you to Uber? Why Uber?   Answer Question
    • If you were going to enter a new market and had it narrowed down to a college campus or business park, what steps would you take/ factors would you consider to make a decision?   Answer Question
    • Questions about how to balance the rides and EATs sides of business in same market without cannibalizing either one   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied for position in their Santa Monica, CA office -

Step 1: 20 minute phone interview with recruiter in DC

Step 2: Two Hour timed analytics test, this was actually a lot easier than I was expecting and I would not consider myself an excel expert. If you have the ability to use filters and have a grasp of basic math you should be fine.

Step 3: 1 hour skype session with a manager in the LA office

Step 4: 4 hour marathon day in the LA office, this was basically sitting in a conference room for 4 hours while managers rotated in - first panel was 45 minutes and was pretty intense position specific questions. This was followed by 2 more 45 minute rounds with other managers, a 15 minute skype call with a manager from the chicago office, and a 30 minute one on one session with another manager. Everyone was nice and all seemed extremely bright.

I heard back a couple days later and did not receive an offer, but they gave very detailed feedback which I appreciated.

Interview Questions

• We are going to launch UberPool in the city you manage, what is an acceptable amount for UberPool to cannibalize current Uber rides and why?   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

1. Initial conversation with the recruiter

2. 2 hour excel test. The test itself is not hard if you have used excel in the past for your position

3. Multiple interviews with members of Uber including a "bar raiser". This process was decently pleasant for me and wasn't as I feared from some of the reviews. Just prepared to know the buzzwords they use for their KPIs (you'll learn a few from the 2 hour test).

4. It took me a week after I went in to speak with the recruiter. They try to personalize the experience but the feedback was vague and somewhat unmatched to what I had in my head. As in, they thought I had a lot of experience with X but not with Y when we never talked about the Y aspect nor was I aware that it was a component to the position I was applying for.

5. Overall, I think that the experience was neutral and I had accepted another position while waiting for Uber. I mainly took it because with the amount of education and type of experience they want you to have, their pay was literally 40-50% below market. They say that they make it up with a significant amount of stock options but with a 5 year vesting schedule, that is not enough to make up for the low pay nor at this point (2017), will the stock increase its value significantly.

Interview Questions

• Non monetary ideas to retain drivers   1 Answer

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber in June 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screening basic questions why uber, why this job, past experience details. After this excel analytics test. If you are good with pivot tables this will be very easy. Next round is video interview with the local operations manager. Questions focusing different uber operations. I am waiting for result of this round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was bizarre. A recruiter reached out to me to see if I was interested in the role. I told him sure and so he explained the interview process and what I should expect.

Following my initial interview, there was the excel test. You have 2 hours to complete it. There are 16 Excel based questions, about 10 - 12 simple math and business strategy questions and then 3 - 4 short essays.

Once I passed the excel test I was then put in contact with an HR person to help prepare me for the remaining rounds. This person could not stress enough how daunting the remaining process would be. How smart everyone at Uber was and how much I would be challenged. It was essentially a scare tactic. I have never heard of a company trying to scare candidates about the interview process.

The next round was a video conference with a GM. We discussed my background and then got into Uber operations. How would you handle XYZ scenario? He tried to act intimidating and unimpressed. I was beginning to be unimpressed with Uber. He said the role was very competitive and there were lots of very qualified candidates interviewing for the role ("ohh no, how scary") and that I may hear back within a couple of days if the team would like to move forward.

Surprise surprise, I did hear back and was invited into their office for a "final round" (what an honor). The round consisted of 4 separate interviews. There was a data/math interview. A strategy interview. An operations based interview and finally a behavioral/fit interview.

After that "grueling day" I was asked to do another case study. This was annoying because I was expecting to be done with the interview process. The recruiters had been accurate up until this point but this is where things got weird. I did a case study on launching Uber into a new market and what that may look like and blah blah. I was then asked to come back in and present it.

In the end, I received and offer but decided not to accept it. The offer was 85K base with what they described as 80K in equity. The vesting period is 5 years. 5 freaking years. Not to mention the equity is essentially worthless at this point. Absolutely worthless. Most people agree that Uber is currently overvalued. Uber has raised over $8.0 Billion dollars. The shares are so diluted and worthless.

I was unable to negotiate on my salary and so I declined the offer. I asked the recruiter if I could have zero equity and raise my salary to 105K and she said that there was no chance. It was at that point I decided not to accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate drivers to work on Superbowl Sunday?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about recruiting drivers   Answer Question
    • What would you change about the app   Answer Question
    • Give me some ways where we could incentivize drivers that don't relate to money.   1 Answer

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted less than an hour after submitting my application by a recruiting coordinator in the DC office. I applied on a Wednesday and set up a call with the recruiting coordinator for the following Monday.

First, she called me about 15 minutes late and when she did she had me on speaker in a room with bad connection and echoes. I kept asking her to repeat her questions and kindly communicated that I was not able to hear her to which she answered that it was the room and then proceeded to do nothing about it. The "interview" lasted about 8 minutes total. It seemed like she just called me to check of numbers rather than because she was really interested and that to me is disrespectful of my time.

I see that now she has been promoted to "sourcer" and I'm not surprised, since Uber has been getting negative press on employee treatment. It all starts with the people you have hiring and it seems like they do not respect the process as well or have respect for people's time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Dallas, TX).

Interview

They run you through 4 interviews including one that last 3 hours + a long analytics test but it seems like all they're really doing is fishing for free ideas. They say they wanna see how you think but they're just gathering solutions to a lot of their future or existing problems. I wasted a lot of my time and feel like I should be paid for the contributions. They recently just posted the same job I applied for again. I would be skeptical about applying.

Interview Questions

• How would you motivate drivers to work on Super Bowl Sunday.   Answer Question
    • If you're opening in a new market who would you hire as drivers.   Answer Question