Uber Operations and Logistics Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Operations and Logistics Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Comparable to a banking super day. Annoying and pointless. Analytics and quantitative analysis tests. I think I went through 5 interviews as well as a team grilling session. Be ready to be a consultant for free. They expect you to know the ins and outs of Uber and it's logistic plans. The panel was with 5 white males. What you hear in the press is true about the company. Elitist mindset for no reason. During your time at the office, you can definitely connect the dots between what's in the news and the company culture. Travis can hide the BS but not when you're in there. It's a funny company. I interviewed with the LA/SD team. lol joke of a group.

Interview Questions

• What can uber do to increase demand? How about supply? What can you suggest for Uber to make more money? WTF? lol.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY).

Interview

Extremely exhaustive and rigorous. Multiple analytics and quantitative analysis tests. I think I went through 5-6 interviews as well as a team grilling session. They definitely want to make sure you can handle fast and challenging data analysis in a high pressure environment as well as testing you as a culture fit by firing tons of questions at you from a panel of current employees.

Interview Questions

• Create a business model using a raw data set. They provided me with raw data about driving behavior and asked me to create a business model as if I was an Uber driver.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

This was a really confusing process. It started very positively and clearly with an HR interview (who are you, what do you do etc), followed by the maths test. After this a couple of team interviews. The process went very fluidly and gave the impression that the company is decisive and doesn't mess around. All stages are also made very clear in that they want to know that you know the company, it's not the standard set of 'tell me a time when you did x'. I am sure that with this attitude they end up with very focussed candidates who are evangelists of uber.

Despite all of this, the time spent and rapport gained they just ghosted me after this. I have no issue being rejected for a job, but have the decency to tell me. For someone who has been through countless rounds, they deserve at least a simple email saying 'no, rejected'. Just ignoring emails and calls after someone has their invested time into offering their services stinks of an HR operation that is ran like a boiler room. For Uber's own benefit this is probably a very inefficient part of their business, considering they will lose candidates and waste their own time conducting countless interviews, just to ignore someone at the end of it all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

This was a pain-staking multiple multiple interview process that I was initially quite excited about. I had to sneak out of my current job frequently to interview risking my current job. All good, I was pumped!

Finally after the final 3 hour panel interview where you get asked "what other ideas do you have?" I was hoping for an offer. It was decided that I was great, but they saw me in more a managerial role - okay cool, I get that because that's my degree and career experience.

I started interviewing for the Uber Eats Manager position and all of a sudden they wanted a presentation created that I would pitch to the panel showing a 30 day pre-launch plan and a 6 month post launch plan on launching Uber Eats in a new medium to large size city. That's it. Seriously. No benchmarks, goals, etc. you have absolutely nowhere to even start so you could extremely over the top with a large investment ratio for a longer ROI or a smaller investment for shorter ROI. What's average? What's expected? Who knows but Uber! It was at this point after researching for my presentation that I came across news articles proclaiming how bogus Uber's interview process is and how it ultimately just fishes for new ideas without penalty. I think by this point I was burned out on the process, upset with this presentation expectation without any info and the fact that the Uber Eats role is not in fact a managerial role but actually an account role - I assume they've had issues filling it with the account exec title.

Interview Questions

• What else could you expand Uber to? Knowing the platform is already there. Go beyond on demand because anything can be on demand that you want.   1 Answer
    • Oh, babysitting. Expand.   1 Answer

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

First round is a 30 minute conversation with HR on the phone. The HR contact I spoke with on the phone did not know very much about the company. She got the dates of multiple product launches wrong.

Second round is a timed 2 hour test. The test is not difficult. But, do your homework and get familiar with their terminology (i.e. eyes, zeros, etc.)

Third round is a 30 minute Skype interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you didn't agree with your manager and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received an email in a couple of days for initial screening. Pretty standard as mentioned in other posts. That led to the Uber Analytics Test V3.1. Thought I did well on this as I saved screenshots of the entire 32 questions except maybe 5 and the CSV files. Went back and double checked my solutions but surprisingly have not heard back from them in quite some time.

Interview Questions

• "In order to incentivize our best driver partners to use the platform next week, you are assessing the cost of the following......."

You have to derive the answer from the given CSV dataset. The test is challenging specifically due to the time limit. They also force you to have to develop the context before being able to come up with the answer. I felt pretty ready for the test until I opened the file and it just hit me that there would not be enough time for this. You need to be doing very similar data modeling on a daily basis to be able to navigate thru the entire exam in 2 hour sitting.

P.S: For the most part, the practice material selling on the web is outdated so you might be better off trying similar exercises on your own rather than paying for those.
      51 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had an interview with a recruiter, after that I took the Uber Analytics test and passed. Then I had an interview with the actual Uber recruiter. Following that, I had a 30 minute video interview with one of the leads on the team I was applying for. The first part of the process was pleasant, even the analytics test which is easy if you've veer dealt with excel. I found the 30 minute interview extremely unpleasant. The woman was rude and arrogant. I was immediately put off by her demeanor and lack of barely a hello when we began the interview. She seemed to make up some of her credentials (it's easily verifiable) and was uninterested in me from the start. No one ever followed up with me to say I didn't get the job either, which totally makes sense, i don't get the impression that their offshoot groups are being run appropriately (ubereats, uberrush, etc.).

Interview Questions

• How owuld you use metrics to determine if a flat fee was working?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. Overall, it was a lengthy process that took over 5 weeks. First was the phone screen by a recruiter, followed by an analytics test, a phone conversation with a team lead, then an onsite interview with a number of team members / leads. Everyone I met throughout the process was incredibly nice, intelligent, and passionate about the work.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I was contacted about a week after submission and I had to book myself into the interviewer's schedule. The interviewer was very friendly and asked in depth questions. He/she was clear on the next steps to follow. I didn't make it past this stage but she mentioned an excel exam would be possible.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online mid January and received a phone call mid February around 6:30pm on a Friday night.

Here are the steps that followed:

1) Sunday night: 5-10 minute phone call with someone at the Uber office I had applied to, general background questions, are you eligible to work in the United States etc. The person I spoke to also asked right off the bat what I was looking for in salary and stated that they had been hiring people between the $60 - $65K range, and that number was implied to be rather inflexible.

2) Tuesday: Two hour timed analytics test, completed online. You download two CSV files and use that data to answer 28 multiple choice questions. Twenty of the 28 questions had to do with straight data analysis (which 10 hour span in the course of two weeks had the most requests), while the remaining eight were a bit more interpretive (which of the following metrics would be most valuable for determining demand). The final four questions were free-form essay answers. Ones I recall are: Write a letter to drivers (can be for an upcoming holiday or just a general newsletter), which of two given bonus structures would be better in incentivizing drivers to work (fixed per ride, fixed per hour, variable but a minimum of rides required). I would say I am pretty good with Excel and a fast writer and I finished in about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were only about 3 questions that were very difficult.

3) Thursday/Friday: Two 20-30 minute phone interviews with members of the Uber team at the location where I applied. The first 10 minutes or so each time was comprised of the general tell us about your resume, why do you want to leave your company, why Uber in particular type questions. The next 10-15 minutes had questions like how would you sell an existing taxi driver on using Uber (biggest one was safety), why don't taxi drivers like using credit cards (taxes, a cut of the money gets taken out by processing fees, they don't get the money right away like cash) and some other questions that I can't recall. The last few minutes are opened up to the candidate to ask them questions.

4) Following Wednesday: Two hour interview at the Uber office consisting of four 30-minute panels. Each panel was 3-4 people asking me questions. There were at least three other people being interviewed for the same position concurrently, so the panelists rotated between us. Mine was conducted inside a room full of random Uber-related supplies and storage units. The interview took place from 6-8pm on a Wednesday night, which seems a bit asinine given that most people applying already worked a full day beforehand but perhaps Uber wants to see how candidates perform when they're both tired and stressed, who knows. In each panel maybe 2 minutes are devoted to hearing about you as a person or candidate (tell us about your resume... hmm I see here you've worked for X for Y years, tell us about that) -- after that they jump right in to questions. There is little to no time to make a connection with your interviewers, it's really all about being able to answer the specific questions they ask. Despite the fact that I heard over and over again how everyone who works at Uber came from other industries 100% of the questions were about Uber-specific processes or items, there was not a single general aptitude or skills question until the final panel asked "Tell us about a project you worked on that you were proud of," or something to that effect. See the "Interview Questions" section below for examples.

At the end of one of the panels, almost as an afterthought, the last question I was asked was: Tell us something you're passionate about. I thought, stupidly, that this was a genuine attempt to get to know me as a person so I answered with a legitimate answer -- let's say it was fine dining. Instead of the expected reply prompting me to share a human anecdote or a commonality between the interviewer and myself he replied "OK great, make a PowerPoint presentation about fine dining and send it to me by <looks at watch> 8pm tomorrow night." I asked for more direction and was told, essentially, sell me on fine dining. I wasn't told if this was supposed to be a test of my presentation skills, sales skills or just a signal that I was devoted to this job. I have a real life with other responsibilities, so I spent about 2 hours the next morning before work putting something together and sent it in.

The next time I heard from Uber was 5-6 days later I received a generic form email at 11pm informing me they'd decided to go in a different direction. I was not particularly inclined to inquire as to why I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• From the in-person panel interviews:

- Uber is opening up a city remotely (i.e. Milwaukee will be operated out of Chicago). How would you make the drivers in Milwaukee feel equal to the drivers in Chicago. This was maybe the worst, most vague question of them all.
      - Uber drops you in a new market (i.e. Oklahoma City) and says you have two weeks until we open here - go! What do you do?
      - Say an Uber black car driver makes $30/ride with a 20% commission. How do you convince him to upgrade to a new made up service UberSuper with a 25% commission? What costs will the driver incur in upgrading. How much more will he have to make each week, etc. Note: it's not enough to just walk them through mentally how you'd do this, be prepared to do the math on the fly. Very annoying.
      - An Uber competitor opens in your city with unlimited cash capital, if you were them how would you steal Uber's customers? If you were Uber how would you convince drivers not to leave?
      105 Answers