Uber Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very unique experience, heard of Uber rescinding offer, but never experienced or seen anyone experiencing it. Somehow, I really experienced it.

I applied to core infra, and somehow got interviews with money team. Interviews were very easy, and I got a phone call saying they are willing to extend offer just a day after. I just graduated from a top CS program a year ago, and had offers from some top software company and a top hedge fund, comp package were both at 250k+ for an entry level. Uber as one of the most fast growing company, I just wanted to give it a try.

HR asked me for my current compensation, and that is where the weird thing began. I asked him for opportunities in other teams, since my background was not much about money team. Somehow, hr said the most obvious lie, "Uber right now, except for money team, are looking for senior people, with 5 or more years work experience". I insisted, and then he said "you cannot shop around, that is not how uber hiring process work". He also said, if I am not interested in money team, he would not proceed with an offer. C'mon, I was interviewing with uber, not uber money team.

I picked one team among many teams my Uber friends recommended, and told the hr. My friends have friends working in that team, knew they were hiring junior people. After that, that hr was not answering my email or phone call for almost a day, (i had other pending offers due in 2 days), and also failed to deliver the promise that he would generate the offer within a day (it was day 4 now). I was very annoyed, so I asked my referral friend to find the hr for the team I am interested in, and emailed her and cc'ed my current hr. My hr then finally replied, and said again, there was no position in that team. As I have the info from my friends who contacted team members in that team, they were hiring junior people, so basically my hr lied to my face. He also threatened me not to generate offer if I insist on changing team, since it shows my no interest in money team. I pretty sucked up a lot of non-sense he was saying since I was still waiting for the final package.

Later, hr finally said he got an update. This time, phone call was made from his manager, and hr manager told me they decided to rescind the offer. He thinks my inflexibility was not a fit for uber. (c'mon, I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.

I am very fortunate to have offers from other companies and very excited to join one of the greats, also it really makes me thinking how uber treats its employees, like exploiting drivers as well as firing engineers. I dont know anything about these incidents or people, but just from my experience with them, I think my uber hr's behavior is unethical.

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Got an email from HR requesting to do a phone screen and made an appointment to speak. Spoke with HR, interview went well and very encouraging. Arrange for technical interview with hiring manager, had cordial conversation, discussed technologies, technical abilities. Made remarks about long tenure and seasoned worker, could tell that my age was a concern. I could tell they were looking for a younger worker. However they seemed encouraging and it was explained what the next steps were. Got a reject letter the next day stating that they choose another candidate that seemed to contradict where the interview left off. Then a fresh ad for the same job was rerun again.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and after a quick phone screen (he was a contract-based sourcer), passed me to his actual recruiter. She had a quick phone call with me and prefaced the rest of the hiring process with "Well, we approach compensation by weighting it heavily on our stock" - which, in hindsight, was a huge red flag. She said she would send me a test assignment to complete before I would be able to talk to the hiring manager/team, and then forgot to send it to me.

After I followed up, I sent over the assignment and was contacted a week later to schedule a video interview with a member of the team. The recruiting team told me the team member would be asking me about my assignment in a quick 30 minute session. Unfortunately, that's not what they told my first interviewer who believed we had a 45-minute behavioral interview scheduled. She passed me onto the next round, which was in-office, and I met 4 members of the team.

None of the folks I met in person seemed to be excited about their jobs or the company, or prepared at all for the interview. They all asked very basic questions, cared very little about my experience and what I could bring to the team, and just wanted to see if I would stick around the office and work late hours. In the end, I don't think they thought I would, and so I'm glad they decided to pass.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was directed and thorough.

Recruiter call - The recruiter was very professional, general questions about professional background, questions on experience pertaining to core job functions and interest in Uber. If you get a call from them, this step shouldn't be an issue.

Analytics v3.1 - Coming from a startup, this wasn't anything new however I spent the night researching the structure of the test. Be comfortable with data manipulation, knowing these functions: Max, Min, Nestedif, Pivot tables, Basic sums, Sumif, Vlookup and Hlookup. It is a combination of multiple choice based on guided data analysis and short answers on how you would make business decisions with the information. As most people have said it is a lengthly exam, it took me the full 2 hours.

Hiring manager call – I finished the exam Sunday morning and heard back from the recruiter I had passed that evening. The next step was a call with the hiring manager. She asked me to review my experience before diving into the specifics of the job. Be prepared to answer situational questions and talk deeply about how you would do the job. We clicked on many points, which made me confident I would be moving on.

Peer call – The next step was to speak to someone currently doing the job I was interviewing for. This was further explanation of the job and more situational questions about how I would make decisions on the job. My advice here, is ask good questions to show you understand the scope of the position and think about solving problems.

Organizational manager call – I had a competing offer so this step was skipped.

In-person Panel - The big day! I had to prepare a presentation based on job-specific data analysis and my management style. The panel was made up of 5 individuals form various parts of the organization. It was a testing and impressive experience. I stuck to my slides but I’m glad I stopped to ask for questions, this is when the real interview started. I was asked to deviate and think bigger, starting a more holistic discussion where I was asked how to solve issues they are currently dealing with. After the panel I met with a manager from the community operations team to assess culture fit and interest in working for Uber. The final step was being walked out by the recruiter.

Final notes - After a week I was given a verbal offer. The interview process impressed me more than the job itself. Despite Uber’s size they are still a startup yet have well thought-out structure.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Is partner wait time (at onboarding centers) even the right metric to focus on? What is the real focus?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Four rounds total: 1) Phone screening 2) Written assessment 3) Phone interview with someone on the team 4) in-person interview. Everyone was super nice and you can tell they are passionate about Uber and love where they are. The recruiter was good at following-up and I was never in the dark about anything during the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Why Uber?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had a disagreement with a team member and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • What are your problem solving strategies and how do you gather data?   Answer Question
    • What is the next on demand service for Uber and how will it be implemented?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got an email from HR to have a first phone interview. That went really well, she was super nice, friendly and asked me the regular questions of a first phone screen.

A few days later, she coordinated a second phone call with an Executive Assistant. I left work earlier to be able to take the call, but the person never called me. After waiting for 30 minutes, I emailed the HR person to let her know that I never got to talk to this EA. She apologized and told me she forgot to send a calendar invite to the interviewer. After emailing back and forth, we finally scheduled a new day.
    The second phone interview was really frustrating. The EA who interviewed me, was really cold and condescending. She asked me if I had experience working at start-ups or big companies (which I don't, and that's very clear on my resume). When I told her that I did not, she basically listed all the reasons I wasn't qualified for the role. I made it clear that I'm looking for a new challenge and that I did have experience as an EA in a fast-paced company in my past. But that did not seem enough for her. I ended the phone call feeling frustrated, belittled and sad. Then, that got me thinking, if they are like this during an interview, how would it be to actually work there? I don't think they are all like that, of course. But she sounded like a really toxic person to work with, and it just didn't feel right.
    I sent her a "thank you" email later, making it clear that I believe a company that's able to see potential in someone, beyond of what a resume says, is what makes it great and successful. I guess she must not have liked that, because the day after, I got an email for HR saying they were going to go in a different direction. I honestly thought "good, go as far from me as possible!".
    I truly believed it was a better company, but I was so wrong. If an EA feels entitled to treat an interviewee the way she did, then the company already failed.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

PLEASE DO NOT INTERVIEW HERE! THEY JUST WANT TO STEAL YOUR IDEAS. The process itself is long and lengthy and not worth it - There are better companies out there that care about employees not UBER. #DELETEUBER

A sourcer/recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn, followed by a phone interview. After a week long silence, I got the "HOMEWORK" assignment. PLEASE DO NOT FALL IN THIS TRAP. This assignment took a week to complete and they expect you to write a full PRD along with interactive wireframes. The whole purpose is to take your ideas and some junior level employee will go implement it. After again a week long silence they have a JAM session to "brainstorm" aka steal ideas further. PMs I met at the JAM session had not even done their due diligence on the problem at hand and definitely were very junior in their thinking. After the JAM session there was two weeks silence again. Then had an onsite with 6 interviewers - most of them again junior and do not understand in depth what problem they are solving here even after working there. All the conversations are geared towards what the solution is and what the wireframes are. It was very clear from the entire process and like the other person said on Glassdoor they are here to waste your time and steal your ideas.

Interview Questions

• 1. home work assignment
      2. jam
      3. 6 person onsite interview
      Answer Question

not a cultural fit

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. From the time the referral was submitted to the time I had a call scheduled was 2 weeks. Had a pretty standard intro call with one of the sourcers. I told her about my background, she asked some questions, I answered, and then she explained what the role entails and shared some additional info about the company and what projects they were working on. I explained how/why I was qualified for the position and knew I would be a good fit for the company as I had some friends there who encouraged me to apply. Everything about the call was pretty normal except that the interviewer seemed completely uninterested in being on the phone from the get go. She was a bit robotic and monotone and I got the impression she didn't even have my resume in front of her. All that aside, I answered all the questions honestly and intelligently and felt that I had helped her get out of her "mood" as we had some casual banter back and forth. The call ended with her explaining next steps which would be a video call with the hiring manager and then an onsite after that. I was up front with her and explained that I was planning to wrap up my job search by early next week as my interview process with other companies were also nearing the end. I honestly thought I nailed the interview and despite her poor mood, thought I turned it around--the way she left things led me to believe I would for sure get another interview.

I sent her a followup email a couple hours after the call thanking her for her time and letting her know I was even more excited to join the company after discussing the role with her. I still haven't heard anything and it's over a week later. I can take a hint, but it's very frustrating when you can't help but question if the reason you didn't receive another interview was because you had the wrong person facilitating the call. Equally as frustrating when they never communicate an actual decision; I'd rather have a canned "we've decided to go a different direction" email than silence.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Depending on level, the scope and depth of knowledge will be thoroughly tested.
    Expect to be asked to write production-quality code for some sort of Uber innovation.
    Everyone is super-friendly, and willing to challenge your cherished first ideas. Don't be afraid to push back.
    Ask clarifying questions.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Recruiter Screening. Then phone interview with hiring manager. Average background questions. What have you done. Why do you fit this role. Hiring manager seemed confused about what questions to ask next. May have been this persons first time interviewing someone.