Uber Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.1

357 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very unique experience, heard of Uber rescinding offer, but never experienced or seen anyone experiencing it. Somehow, I really experienced it.

I applied to core infra, and somehow got interviews with money team. Interviews were very easy, and I got a phone call saying they are willing to extend offer just a day after. I just graduated from a top CS program a year ago, and had offers from some top software company and a top hedge fund, comp package were both at 250k+ for an entry level. Uber as one of the most fast growing company, I just wanted to give it a try.

HR asked me for my current compensation, and that is where the weird thing began. I asked him for opportunities in other teams, since my background was not much about money team. Somehow, hr said the most obvious lie, "Uber right now, except for money team, are looking for senior people, with 5 or more years work experience". I insisted, and then he said "you cannot shop around, that is not how uber hiring process work". He also said, if I am not interested in money team, he would not proceed with an offer. C'mon, I was interviewing with uber, not uber money team.

I picked one team among many teams my Uber friends recommended, and told the hr. My friends have friends working in that team, knew they were hiring junior people. After that, that hr was not answering my email or phone call for almost a day, (i had other pending offers due in 2 days), and also failed to deliver the promise that he would generate the offer within a day (it was day 4 now). I was very annoyed, so I asked my referral friend to find the hr for the team I am interested in, and emailed her and cc'ed my current hr. My hr then finally replied, and said again, there was no position in that team. As I have the info from my friends who contacted team members in that team, they were hiring junior people, so basically my hr lied to my face. He also threatened me not to generate offer if I insist on changing team, since it shows my no interest in money team. I pretty sucked up a lot of non-sense he was saying since I was still waiting for the final package.

Later, hr finally said he got an update. This time, phone call was made from his manager, and hr manager told me they decided to rescind the offer. He thinks my inflexibility was not a fit for uber. (c'mon, I said I'd like to see other teams and hr told me I cannot shop around, and once I picked a specific team, that turned to my inflexibility), and he also played along with his employee, lying that the team was not looking for junior people.

I am very fortunate to have offers from other companies and very excited to join one of the greats, also it really makes me thinking how uber treats its employees, like exploiting drivers as well as firing engineers. I dont know anything about these incidents or people, but just from my experience with them, I think my uber hr's behavior is unethical.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Well, first there was an email from a recuiter and then a test. The recruiter was just interested in free work. It was very impersonal. I never talked to an actual human. Worst interview process I have ever participated in.

Interview Questions

• How to solve "multi-selection" as an interaction paradigm.   Answer Question

Operations & Logistics Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1) Resume drop online
    2) One week later, 2-hour long Analytics Test to gauge your data analysis/critical thinking/writing abilities
    3) The next day, an email from the recruiter to set up a 30 min phone interview
    4) After the recruiter call, a "meet the team" video call with 2-3 team members, including the the team lead
    5) A week after that, an email to schedule time for a 4 hour, in-office interview with 5-6 Uber employees, some from the office I applied for, some GMs from other offices. Includes a technical case and general behavioral fit questions.
    6) A few days after that, received offer

Overall a long process with a mix of both technical and behavioral interviews, but no major surprises on the whole

Interview Questions

• If suddenly there were a major emergency, what would your first response be?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied through the career website via my school link, and they reached out pretty fast to follow up with an on campus interview. The recruiter is very on top of it for this company as of right now.

Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

InMail via LinkedIn for an "informational interview" (it's not. it's a full on interview). These people need to get a clue. Their business model is in the toilet, and they told me, "what we are experiencing is normal. Every growing company goes through this." I found them condescending and rude. Like, "you'll be lucky to work here." Pay is not competitive, highly slanted toward equity. Which isn't even liquid. When they were the darling, they might get away with it. But they need to up their game and start committing to culture change in order to stay relevant.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Uber?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Referred through a friend, had a few quick informational calls then was sent the take home assignment, followed by onsite.

The take home was a decent problem though it took a while, and I was told I "nailed it". They made me create some slides about it which I thought was strange because the take home assignment was in presentable format, and when I got there it seemed like no one had really looked at my take home. People were nice to me, but scheduling was a mess; they kept on pushing back and moved my onsite at the last minute.

I didn't get asked that many technical questions when onsite, but I got feedback saying my ML/modelling was a concern. Given I had to do a lengthy take home modelling exercise, I am confused but I suppose there could just have been more experienced candidates.

Android Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied through a referral. Went through a technical phone screen that included a live coding problem using coderpad. Then went through a all day on site interview. The interviewers were professional and well trained. Though I thought the interviews went pretty well they decided not to move forward. It took more than a week for them to get back to me, the recruiter wanted to give me feedback then disappeared, eventually someone got back to me after a long pause, that was rather sloppy of them.

Interview Questions

• An Android coding challenge to write a image viewer app from a open api.   Answer Question
    • Design a feature to share rides with others.   Answer Question
    • Write different functions of a Minesweeper game.   Answer Question
    • Write a function to return result from a cd command in a terminal.   Answer Question

Safety and Insurance Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The process was pretty lengthy, 6 interviews in all, 2 short phone interviews with HR/recruiters and 2 with members of the team. Then a pretty easy test in excel/SQL followed by an onsite interview

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

A take-home SQL test (having at most 7 days to finish), two phone interviews (one is general questions, another one is more technical), one onsite interview (talk to five people, each lasted about 30 minutes).

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Uber?   Answer Question
    • If a table you have is aggregated via several other tables, and now the table has something wrong, how would you trace which of the original tables caused the mistake?   Answer Question

Service Quality Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

1. Applied online on Uber website
    2. Recruiter call (30 min)
    3. Online test (Data Analytics)
    4. Video call with hiring manager (45 minutes)
    5. Take home assignment (Data analysis and presentation)
    6. In - person interview with team

Interview Questions

• questions around analytics, business decisions based on data analysis. situational questions   Answer Question