Uber Strategic Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uber Strategic Operations Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Uber

3.5

Strategic Operations Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Begin with phone screen and then on to a 2 hour timed analytics test. Test is 32 quantitative and qualitative questions, both with and without Excel data used. Following steps were video interviews and in person for final stage.

Interview Questions

• 150 people applied for driver positions. Of them, 130 have valid drivers licenses. 66% of the total pool passed the city knowledge test. 60% of the total pool passed the background check. What is the minimum number of eligible drivers from the total pool?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL) in August 2018.

Interview

1st Phone Interview with HR-Basic personality/experience/behavioral questions. For example, tell me about a time you handled a difficult situation at work or overcame something at work...
    Then if HR thinks you're good they'll explain more about the role and process on the phone and tell you about pay and send an analytics exam.

2nd Part the Analytics Exam... it is NOT easy! You literally have to study for this know all the Uber vocabulary and tactics and be able to apply it to MCQ's, short and long essay Q's and excel problems. I highly suggest getting a good review program. I bought two and completed them and did a lot of practices Q's. It is not easy! So Study and test yourself especially because its timed! 2 hours.

If you pass the exam they will email you the next business day by 7 pm latest I'm guessing and set up an appointment with a Senior Strategic Operations Manager.

3rd Video Conference Interview- THIS IS THE REAL TEST! The Senior Ops Manager will just first ask a bit about you and then give you a background. Ask you real life scenario Q's a Strategic Operations Manager would have to deal with day to day. Here is where I messed up I actually knew how to answer most of these but went of tangent trying to answer the Q's (possibly because I was a bit thrown off and nervous).

Few days later got a reply that unfortunately I wasn't a match which I had a feeling by the end of the interview.

Overall I'm glad I went through the process there are a few more steps after the video conference but I didn't make it further than that. I believe they call you in for a panel interview and later assign you a project and if you do well they give you an offer.

Interview Questions

• Of the following promotion options, which do you think would result in better adoption of Uber's delivery service (3-5 sentences)? a) Two $5 coupons b)One $10 coupon   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Uber (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was referred by an employee.

Their response time has been the fastest I have ever seen. I applied a week ago and I have already completed 2/4 rounds (Phone and Excel). I am scheduled for the video conference with the HM on Tuesday (9 days since applying), after which there will be an on-site interview.

1: Phone Screen: Very positive, sweet recruiting lady. I could tell she genuinely was listening and gave me a detailed overview on the role and the company and what they are looking for. She forwarded me the Excel test instantly after the screen.

This part for me involved your classic Why Uber, tell me about yourself, tell me about a time...type questions. Nothing Uber related apart from why you want to work there.

2: Excel Analytics Test: You NEED to study for this. Use online resources, study Uber (terms, metrics, market) and practice with pivot tables, sorting, if(and) formulas, and sum formulas. Be prepared to answer strategy type questions about day to day operations using data they provide you and making inferences from it. I was told the day after I took it that I passed and they scheduled me for a video conference the same day itself.

Overall, so far, I am very impressed by their turn around time and demeanor towards me. It has been an efficient process. But a rigorous one too. If you want to work at Uber, get ready to really work to impress.

Back to prep for the video conference for me. I'll update this post once I'm through with the entire process.

Good-luck all.

Interview Questions

• Why Uber? (Phone screen)   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a cross-functional team setting. (Phone screen)   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you used data to improve or fix a process. (Phone screen)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied online through LinkedIn. Recruiter reached out to me shortly thereafter. First round was a general qualitative phone screen. Walk me through your background, why interested in role, etc. The recruiter was very lovely and I enjoyed this part of the interview.

Second round was an analytics test. Part excel (which was easy), part essay (also easy), some multiple choice questions that deal a lot with Uber specific terms and economics (challenging -would recommend studying this a lot if you're serious about the role).

I did not pass the test. If Uber is serious about hiring talent from investment banking (and similar fields) they should rid of this test or make it more generic as a general excel, economics test. When you're working 70+ hours weeks, finding the necessary time to study for this test is tough. Given the low base salary for this particular role, it was not worth it to me to spend more than a couple of hours.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult experience you had at work and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Washington, DC) in February 2019.

Interview

First round involved a screening by HR, which is relatively straightforward and involves reviewing your work experience and motivations for joining Uber.

If that checks out, then you have a 2-hour excel and answers test, which isn't terribly, just a lot of material to cover in time. The practice tests that I see online cover most of what's asked of you on these tests. The next round involves a 1 hour meeting with a hiring manager to determine if you should be brought for an onsite interview.

The onsite interview is approximately 2 hours with 3 sets of interviews. The first interview is an overview of your hard skills, second interview is a case study, and the third interview is an overview of your soft skills. Definitely recommend coming prepared for the case study and be able to clearly articulate 1) the problem the case is trying to address 2) your solution and 3) metrics you'll use to determine if your solution is successful.

All in all, the process was very professional and efficient.

Interview Questions

• We're thinking about rolling out a new service for Uber Premium. Does this make sense for the local market?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL) in March 2019.

Interview

The interview process was rigorous, including a phone screen with a recruiter, an analytics test, a video interview with light case study with a senior manager and a 2-hour onsite interview. The onsite included two 2-on-1 interviews, for which I did an overview of my hard skills and a case interview, and one 1-on-1 interview, which was more of an overview of my soft skills.

Uber gave me a salary and equity number during the first-round interview, stating that there would not be a ton of room for negotiation as they are trying to shore up their pay equity schemes. I received another offer while I waited out a decision at Uber, which I communicated to my recruiter. She assured me that I would receive a decision from Uber by a certain date. That date passed, and I sent two emails to the recruiter with no response. It was incredibly frustrating to get radio silence from her with a deadline on the table. I was only able to get a response because I reached out to the person who referred me, who reached out to her. She finally got back to me and said that while the team loved me and I got great feedback on my interviews, they wanted to bring me in at $20k less than originally discussed, with less than half the equity. I was shocked. Honestly a no would have been better than this. I told my recruiter that I was surprised because I got great feedback on my interviews. She said she agreed; she looked over my interview notes and could only see that I struggled to answer a question about incentive pricing as the reason why the team would undercut me. I have interviewed with dozens of tech companies and have never left an interview process feeling so undervalued and disrespected as I did with Uber.

Overall, this was a terrible candidate experience for me and a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral and some case questions regarding how you would handle certain situations in the role.   Answer Question

I declined because Uber offered me significantly less in compensation than was originally discussed, which was already below the market rate. They ignored a deadline I had to give a decision to another company, they were very slow in responding to requests for updates and they generally made me feel undervalued and disrespected.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Get ready for a 2 hour analytical test that will test you on advanced Excel exercises, qualitative short-answer questions, and some economics questions. Overall, the online test definitely made sure you are fit for this job given the amount of complexity involved with all the questions. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• How would you increase Uber's driver base aside from a monetary incentive?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Washington, DC) in June 2019.

Interview

My heart was crushed when I got the final rejection phone call. I fell in love with the culture, the mission, and the vision.

However, I can honestly say that what the recruiter told me on the phone is exactly what I would have told myself if I was the hiring team, and for that reason I have a lot of respect for Uber Washington D.C.

Step 1: Phone Screen
    Behavioral questions, more of a discussion, total compensation is explained by the recruiter once she decides if you would be a good fit. She will send the analytics test promptly after your phone screen if you pass the competent human test (are a normal person and qualified for the req).

Step 2: Analytics Test
    2 hour test 32 questions. You need to be in a room where you can focus, and be calm. Have fun with it and brush up on your excel skills if they aren't strong. Vlookups, Text to columns, filtering, simple math. There are a bunch of courses online, this part was stressful because I was so worried about not getting to the next stage. I also had to catch a plane so was a bit rushed. There is an essay portion as well so put your thinking cap on.

Step 3: Video Interview
    Behavioral questions and a simple case study. This was more of a conversation, and the interviewer made me feel very comfortable. At the end of the interview I had a very good feeling and my aspirations for working for Uber started to burn even more fiercely.

Final Interview: Panel
    Case study with two managers- This was hard, they try to help and work with you but you need to be calm and patient. The interviewers asked me to take a few minutes to formulate a plan and I unfortunately tried to jump right in each time. I lacked structure and organization in my answers, and I knew how I did as soon as the interview ended.

Behavioral/ case study with two managers- This was much more relaxing for me, I can whip up a discussion out of thin air, and they asked me to solve a few simple case study scenarios, I thought I did okay on those.

In conclusion: I usually know how I did during an interview and I expected a rejection email. Instead I got a phone call with great feedback. I didn't really have questions, I know what I did wrong, I told my fiance what the outcome would be as I considered my other offers. This experience was invaluable. Prep for the final interview as best as you can, make sure you eat a hearty meal and are calm. Get there extra early, D.C. traffic is horrendous. Good luck to whoever gets the opportunity to go through what I went through, I hope you make it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (Santa Monica, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

The process consisted of a phone interview, analytical assessment, video interview, and in-office interview over the course of two months. The recruiters and hiring managers were friendly and very transparent about wanting a candidate with great stakeholder and project management skills. They ask a lot of questions about Uber's operating model (i.e. using technology to connect riders and drivers/place deliveries). Know their terminology. Don't be surprised if you don't hear back from them for up to two weeks in between steps.

Interview Questions

• Why Uber?
      Do you have experience with SQL or analyzing large data sets?
      Which internal teams would you work with when bringing a new product to market?
      Explain your stakeholder management process?
      How do you resolve disagreements with stakeholders and team members?
      Tell us about a time you used data to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

1. Phone screen with recruiter (20min, basic stuff)
    2. Analytics exercise online (really just some basic excel stuff)
    3. Video call with hiring manager (45min with a case question and behavioral stuff)
    4. Take home presentation/exercise
    5. Onsite (met with 8 people from the team in groups of 2, presented to 1 group, case questions in another, behavioral in the other, last pair was reserved for me to ask questions which was nice)

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral stuff (eg. tell me about a time you had a conflict/disagreement at work, strengths/weaknesses, tell me about a time you handled ambiguity)   Answer Question
    • Case Questions
      - ETAs went up in city X, what might have happened?
      - Is trips fall in city X, what data would you look at and why?
      - How would you incentivize drivers to drive during busy hours?   Answer Question