Ubisoft Game Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ubisoft Game Designer Interview Questions

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ubisoft (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

First, you will get a email to set up an interview with recriuter. If everything went well, you will have a chance to Interview with lead designer. If passed, then you will get a design test and be brought to an onsite interview

Interview Questions

• What can you bring onto the table for this position?
    On the flip side, what do you think you are lack of for this position?
    What do you enjoy the most in game design?
    On the flip side, what do you enjoy the least or need experience in game design?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ubisoft

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ubisoft.

Interview

I received a phone interview for the Game Designer position that was available. The interview in general was very easy and laid back. The questions were basic and standard, from asking what projects I have worked on, to what my interests would be in the project and what skills can I bring onto the team.

Interview Questions

• None honestly, they were all straight forward, and all expected questions for a design interview.   Answer Question

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Ubisoft in June 2015.

Interview

I contacted on LinkedIn the manager of Ubisoft Osaka after he announced the studio was looking for Game Designers. After sending him my resume on his request, I got a Skype interview the same week with a Game Designer, a Programmer and a Producer. We spoke, in English and Japanese, about my past experiences and aspirations.

One week later, I got a second interview, with the manager himself. The interview went smoothly, and we talked about the studio and its projects. However, I was not offered a position at this time because of my lack of ability in Japanese (JLPT 3 minimum), without excluding any future opportunity if I improve this weakness.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bucharest (Romania)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ubisoft (Bucharest (Romania)) in January 2015.

Interview

There are a total of three phases, as follows:

a)First off, there are two technical tests:
    - A 5 day one ( the first one)
    - A 3 hour one (the second one)

b)A technical interview via Skype (with their Senior Game Designers)

c)On-site interview with HR to discuss about the financial part (transportation was paid by them)

Interview Questions

• All questions were related to the last test (the 3 hour one)   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for 4500 RON, they asked me if it was negotiable, to which I responded with "Only slightly".

Their offer was 3000 RON.

While trying to negotiate, they said we're sorry, we're not interested and just gave up on.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ubisoft (Pune (India)) in April 2014.

Interview

Fast response. Had applied in their portal. Qualified the written design test but messed up in the telephonic round. Time for the written test was 24 hrs. Telephonic round was tricky. Hard to concentrate on who was asking the questions. Was interviewed by a panel on 3. One was a foreigner. Within 7 days I got a mail which said my profile is on hold.

Interview Questions

• how do you explain the developer the game mechanism of your game?   Answer Question

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ubisoft (Paris (France)) in January 2012.

Interview

Very lengthy, took almost 3 months before an offer. Apparently the hiring manager was super busy during the whole process and it made things very difficult to know if you were still being considered. After submitting my home work, it took 2 months before any feedback came back.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ubisoft (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in December 2008.

Interview

It began over Linked In, where I got a mass e-mail about a game design position in China. I responded with interest and was asked for my resume which I sent. I received an e-mail that gave a time for a phone call and let me know they were interested. There were 4 phone calls in total.

1. The first call was to verify I exist and set up a time for the actual interview.
    2. The second call was an interview with the creative director, the head of staffing, the producer and another game designer. The questions were all related to design and how I would feel about moving to China. I gave positive answers across the board and tried to seem upbeat and make jokes which went over well. My game design principles generally aligned with their own and they approved of me, but there's another authority above them that then wanted to interview me which led to.
    3. The third call which was an interview with someone from "Editorial" and a human resources person. These were primarily philosophical game design questions and the same questions about how I would feel about moving to China. Again I kept it upbeat and straightforward which went over well.
    4. The final call was to give me the offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about moving to China.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was some room for negotiation but only as pertained to relocation fees and a signing bonus. I was unable to get them to raise the salary. If you are considering an offer ask for a signing bonus of around 5000-10000 U.S.D. Sometimes they list the signing bonus on the website as high as 12,000, but I have yet to hear of anyone getting that. Mine was only 2000 but I'm a terrible negotiator.