Uline Senior Art Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uline Senior Art Director Interview Questions

Interviews at Uline

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasant Prairie, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uline (Pleasant Prairie, WI) in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resume and portfolio online, received a call to set up an interview with HR the next day. A few days before the interview, I was asked to fill out 3 different personality tests and submit them at the interview. Before the interview, I was asked to complete 2 additional tests that were timed.

Interview Questions

• Rate on a scale of 1-10 (10 is best), your skill level in the following programs, Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Uline

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasant Prairie, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Uline (Pleasant Prairie, WI) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied online. Within 20 minutes I was called to set up an in-person interview. A little questionable, but this job has been posted for well over 8 months, so I thought the prompt call was to fill the position in a timely manner. The process involved taking several assessment tests. Uline will not release the results to candidates. This is a red flag. Perhaps this company constantly interviewing for creatives for two simple reasons. One, to generate creative ideas without paying for outsourcing from candidates who apply, and two, to process personality profiles from creative applicants.

I was very impressed by the facilities, a really nice location and building. The woman who interviewed me was very nice, too. Didn't really ever look me in the eye, but that's ok, it's an interview. She was formidable and made me feel comfortable during the process.

The position was for the print team, generating catalog covers and directing photography. The design sensibility is a bit dry, so I didn't go overboard in the cover creations I was asked to generate. Since I had to design 3 cover options, I used the website to familiarize myself with their offerings. The website is problematic. It has problems with its search capabilities. It's not very user friendly. The terms don't match up with catalog terms, so searching online with a catalog in hand ended up generating zero results in several instances. Also, the files sent to me were corrupt, and crashed my mac several times. No biggie, but something to be aware of if you have any other files open at the same time. They were also dated 2016, so they've been using the same files for several years for design testing.

After interviewing, I did a little online research. The online presence seems problematic. I had no idea there is a large movement on social platforms to boycott this company for its belief systems. People are trashing the catalogs and hash tagging negative reviews, offering up competitors for alternative resources.

While these issues were not much of a concern to me, personally, it may affect their business model down the road, and if you're interviewing for a role in this organization, it's just something to be aware of. They are probably not concerned with loosing business from small organizations, due to their capacity.

They passed on me, and rather quickly, without a solid explanation. I did ask several questions regarding the assessments, and perhaps they are not interested in a candidate who is interested in their own assessment results. I wish the best of luck to whomever chooses to accept their catalog print position.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable wearing a dress with hosiery everyday, since you are applying for a creative position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasant Prairie, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uline (Pleasant Prairie, WI) in June 2018.

Interview

I just saw a review posted for the same position, for which I had applied in June 2018. My interview experience was exactly the same, and it mimics my sentiments perfectly. I fully agree that Uline may be using these interviews, to obtain free creative ideas, without paying for contract or freelance workers.

Applied online in June 2018 for the Senior Art Director position. I received a call within 2 hours of applying, again questionable, but was excited to get an in-person interview. The first step was to take several assessments tests, which seems to be protocol for all applicants. The next step was for an in-person interview at the Headquarters in Pleasant Prairie, WI. Upon arrival, more assessments were given and I was interviewed by Human Resources. At the end of the interview, I was asked to combine my portfolio into a PDF version, for submission to the creative department, even though my online portfolio was available for review, and had my physical portfolio with me, for presentation. I also was asked to complete a creative assessment test at home.

The creative tests included: (1) Create two illustrations of a box cart in illustrator and (2) Design three different catalog cover design concepts within the template provided by Uline. This creative test was not a few small designs to test your ability, it was at least a weeks worth of design time, and considering I was still interested in the position, I took it seriously. They provided examples of previous covers done in the past (from 2009) and frankly I was quite surprised by the ridiculous designs that were accepted. I submitted five design projects, and received a generic rejection email fairly quickly.

I had reviewed the company beforehand and was aware of the strict guidelines and rules of the company. I was however more surprised by the possibility that a scam is being utilized to obtain design ideas for the creative department.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a problem with the dress code, wearing skirts and stockings or matching pants suit and jacket Monday - Friday?   Answer Question

Uline Response

Mar 21, 2019

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to hear that your brief encounter with our company was a negative one.

We can assure you the sole purpose of our interview process is to find the... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uline (Kenosha, WI) in July 2012.

Interview

Asked to come in for "interview", but it wasn't an interview! Prior to "interview" was required to fill in dozens of pages of repetitive forms, most not related to job. Upon arrival, HR put me in a classroom with a high school kid and gave me odd, timed,written math and personality tests. Yeeeck!