Ulta Beauty General Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 1, 2017

2.8

42 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in December 2016.

Interview

Hour phone interview. Very conversational. The recruiter was very nice and asked me about my knowledge of and experience shopping at Ulta. We talked about some of the upcoming holiday promotions. She really set me at ease and it felt more like a conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about my current position and responsibilities   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ulta Beauty

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

Very relaxed and conversational. The questions were basically geared toward learning your management style and seeing a relationship between you and ULTA. Be ready to describe situations and how you handled them.

Interview Questions

• -Why do you want to be a GM?
      -Description questions
      -Why ULTA?
      -How would you impact the store?
      -What are your future goals?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter via email and asked to set up a chat with her over the phone. A few days later, she called at the designated time and the call lasted about 45 minutes to an hour. Next I had a phone interview with the District Manager of the location in which I applied. That call also lasted about 45 min to an hour. I then met with a District Manager in person in more of a relaxed "getting to know you type of atmosphere. A few days later I had a phone interview with the Regional Manager.

Interview Questions

• Why Ulta?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to develop or coach an associate who was performing below expectations.   Answer Question
    • How have you improved or attempted to improve shrink in your current role?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience working with or using beauty/cosmetic products?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

Asked a lot of give me an example when questions. Be prepared to give exact examples.This is not just a retail store they care about their guests and theyou want good people leading their stores.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Albuquerque, NM) in June 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. I did not make it past the recruiter phone interview. I found the recruiter to be a little curt. When I asked the questions at the end she seemed put off. May have been that we didn't connect. FYI to other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Why Ulta?   1 Answer
    • What is your experience of managing varied sizes of team?   1 Answer
    • How do you teach staff? What would your current manager say about you? Your team?   1 Answer
    • What improvements have you made to your organizations? Why those improvements?   1 Answer
    • What was the largest budget you ever were responsible for?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Greensboro, NC) in April 2016.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn. 1st interview via phone with recruiter, 2nd within 2 days with Area Manager, 3rd the next day with DM, and final interview via phone with Senior DM and offer same day. Fast efficient and all were very personable. It was encouraging that all the senior executives that interviewed me had been promoted multiple times internally. They all were passionate about their roles and the company. Not one bad thing about my experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Why do you want to work for Ulta?
      Why is your career path?
      What things have you identified about yourself that you would like help developing?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No need to negotiate the offer was generous and the benefits were great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Atlanta, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

Normally I do not post reviews, however, when I was offered an interview for Ulta I found that glassdoor had many reviews which i decided to read but ignore. The process started within a day of me applying I received an email from the recruiter asking to schedule an interview. I emailed her when I was open and she said she would call me at 12pm to interview. When 12pm came around I did not receive a phone call however, at 12:15 she text me saying is it okay if she called me 5 minutes later and I replied sure. Finally at 12:40 she called to begin the interview. She asked me the traditional questions such as why ulta? How was your experiences at Ulta? Then she begin to get into my experience. To disclose my experience was 8 years retail 4 of which is store management at a large grocery retailer, my store specifically makes over 1 million a week. I was looking to join Ulta because it was close to home which would provide me with a better work/life balance. Cut to the interview when she got into my experience it seemed she did not like the fact that my retailer has several members of store management. She said that I was not qualified because I was not the sole store manager and I have a team of managers. I tried to explain to her that because of the volume there cannot be one sole manger there are several as we are also open 24/7. At the end of the day over 200 associates report to me and I am responsible for them. She said that I was only probably qualified to become a co manager and that they may have that position in another location and maybe they could process me later. I asked again why she did not feel I was qualified and why she set up an interview and she became aggravated and said people have to come and buy groceries but they do not have to come and buy makeup so the fact that I handled a larger sales volume doesn't matter. Overall, I felt very belittled and that she was very unprofessional. This upset me because I really thought that I could bring something great to Ulta, based on the job description I had experience in all areas and surpassed the minimum qualifications. As some one that is heavily involved in HR for my current company I felt that she was totally unprofessional. It's not what you say but how you say it. If she felt that I wasn't qualified she could've simply said "I have other interviews and I will select the best candidate, however, if you are not selected we would love to have you in another position." right? Instead she argued why I wasn't qualified and downed my experience. Afterwards, I just thought I probably dodged a bullet if this is how they treat their people before they walk in the door. I know what I will accept and I will not accept a lower position in a store that is literally 1 department at my current store because I have more that one member of store management. Sorry for the length but there were other reviews that said this and I did not listen!

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in January 2016.

Interview

Was reached by recruiter and had a pre screen phone conversation with her. Then she had me drive 4 hours round trip to interview with DM. The recruiter didn't communicate too me that the DM wanted to change the time. So I show up and have to wait an extra half hour. The DM then hurries me thru because he had a conference call to get on. The DM then forgot we had a follow up phone conversation scheduled and I had to reach him. The whole process was pretty unprofessional

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Houston, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

Took four weeks to wrap up the process but it was worth the wait. Genuinely excited to invite me aboard once they decided. I did a total of 4 interviews one over the phone and 3 in person, one with another GM, a Area Supervisor and lastly the District Manager. All completely different but very detailed.

Interview Questions

• Lots of scenario questions and questions about my background and experience   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

Was simple asked about management experience and prior job history. Why do you want to be apart of the company. How do you manage a team. First was with recruiter. Second was with District manager. Was offered a position within 2 weeks after applying and doing 2 interviews. Within 2 days of applying got an email from recruiter on possible days to talk.

Interview Questions

• Some situational questions and what would you want to improve about yourself relating to work.   Answer Question