Ulta Beauty General Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ulta Beauty General Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 24, 2017

2.5

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in December 2016.

Interview

Hour phone interview. Very conversational. The recruiter was very nice and asked me about my knowledge of and experience shopping at Ulta. We talked about some of the upcoming holiday promotions. She really set me at ease and it felt more like a conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about my current position and responsibilities   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ulta Beauty

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Albuquerque, NM) in June 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. I did not make it past the recruiter phone interview. I found the recruiter to be a little curt. When I asked the questions at the end she seemed put off. May have been that we didn't connect. FYI to other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Why Ulta?   1 Answer
    • What is your experience of managing varied sizes of team?   1 Answer
    • How do you teach staff? What would your current manager say about you? Your team?   1 Answer
    • What improvements have you made to your organizations? Why those improvements?   1 Answer
    • What was the largest budget you ever were responsible for?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Atlanta, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

Normally I do not post reviews, however, when I was offered an interview for Ulta I found that glassdoor had many reviews which i decided to read but ignore. The process started within a day of me applying I received an email from the recruiter asking to schedule an interview. I emailed her when I was open and she said she would call me at 12pm to interview. When 12pm came around I did not receive a phone call however, at 12:15 she text me saying is it okay if she called me 5 minutes later and I replied sure. Finally at 12:40 she called to begin the interview. She asked me the traditional questions such as why ulta? How was your experiences at Ulta? Then she begin to get into my experience. To disclose my experience was 8 years retail 4 of which is store management at a large grocery retailer, my store specifically makes over 1 million a week. I was looking to join Ulta because it was close to home which would provide me with a better work/life balance. Cut to the interview when she got into my experience it seemed she did not like the fact that my retailer has several members of store management. She said that I was not qualified because I was not the sole store manager and I have a team of managers. I tried to explain to her that because of the volume there cannot be one sole manger there are several as we are also open 24/7. At the end of the day over 200 associates report to me and I am responsible for them. She said that I was only probably qualified to become a co manager and that they may have that position in another location and maybe they could process me later. I asked again why she did not feel I was qualified and why she set up an interview and she became aggravated and said people have to come and buy groceries but they do not have to come and buy makeup so the fact that I handled a larger sales volume doesn't matter. Overall, I felt very belittled and that she was very unprofessional. This upset me because I really thought that I could bring something great to Ulta, based on the job description I had experience in all areas and surpassed the minimum qualifications. As some one that is heavily involved in HR for my current company I felt that she was totally unprofessional. It's not what you say but how you say it. If she felt that I wasn't qualified she could've simply said "I have other interviews and I will select the best candidate, however, if you are not selected we would love to have you in another position." right? Instead she argued why I wasn't qualified and downed my experience. Afterwards, I just thought I probably dodged a bullet if this is how they treat their people before they walk in the door. I know what I will accept and I will not accept a lower position in a store that is literally 1 department at my current store because I have more that one member of store management. Sorry for the length but there were other reviews that said this and I did not listen!

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in January 2016.

Interview

Was reached by recruiter and had a pre screen phone conversation with her. Then she had me drive 4 hours round trip to interview with DM. The recruiter didn't communicate too me that the DM wanted to change the time. So I show up and have to wait an extra half hour. The DM then hurries me thru because he had a conference call to get on. The DM then forgot we had a follow up phone conversation scheduled and I had to reach him. The whole process was pretty unprofessional

General Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

12 interviews and no follow up or feedback! Was contacted after I reached out to someone on LinkedIn. Interviewed with a GM in person, who put me in touch with several other GM's, met with 5 different district managers, then more GM's. Each time I was given the idea and impression that they were selecting me, yet I received no call back, was just sent to interview with more people. A few of the DM's seemed very disorganized and none of the postings on the website were active. interviewing takes a lot of time and energy and after 12, yes 12 interviews, Ulta has wasted plenty of mine!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

first interviewed with a recruiter, recruiter told me that position had been filled internally at the beginning of conversation, but that she still wanted to speak with me for future bench.

got a call from the recruiter again that a new position had opened up and she wanted me to meet with the DM.

interviewed with the DM, which was fine, but she talked more about ulta and the store than finding out about me. she did ask some basic leadership questions.

2 weeks go by, and I did not hear anything, but had received another offer, so I emailed the recruiter and thanked her. she told me that the DM was still 2 weeks out from making a decision. I told her I no longer wanted to be considered for the position, she emailed and wanted to know where I was going, and that was pretty much it.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in April 2015.

Interview

Placed application, received email 3 days later. Replied for phone interview for following day. Recruiter tried to talk me out of GM position. Never asked me any questions. Talked about different positions in company. Stated someone would get back with me a week later. Never received anything, call or phone.

Interview Questions

• If I was interested in another position, salon manager.   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Interview

I have only had an initial phone interview with the recruiter and I'm waiting to here from the local district manager. I had to complete an online survey including a personality/assessment test and giving permission for a complete background check.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

It took about two weeks, however the District Manager did not contact me the recruiter did. Was contacted by recruiter, who gave me a phone interview. Then was contacted by DM, she interviewed me in person, however did not contact me after.