Ulta Beauty Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.1

913 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Clinique Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

Went in to ulta one day was approached by the GM right away to apply for the MAC position. First interview was the beginning of June with the GM and assistant manager. Originally applied for MAC but towards the end of the interview they recommended I'd apply for Clinique. Which i was fine with because i believe skincare is a must for flawless make up . After the interview they had told me that the process would be slow just because this was all new and they didn't need anyone till July. Week later i had to take the personalitly test that estee lauder has all their candidates have to take . About 2 weeks after that the clinique rep had contact me about having a chat later in the day . After the 3rd interview i didn't hear back till about a week later from GM . She was very happy to offer me the position .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Bloomington, IN) in July 2017.

Interview

I was called to set up an interview the day after I applied online (there is a store getting ready to open up here). I had an interview with the Salon Manager, who said she used to be a Hiring Manager, although I wish that I could have interviewed with the person who was going to be the actual floor Manager. We sat down across from each other at a table in an empty store (the Ulta location wasn't finished yet) and she asked several questions. It was a bit more detailed than I thought it would be for a cashier position. I don't think she liked my vibe- I wasn't as "bubbly" as I think you have to be to get the job. I realize that you have to be like this in order to be in Customer Service (I have 13 years experience) but I mistakenly thought that in an interview an employer would want me to actually be myself. She commented that I was calm and asked me if I was always this way! That's when I knew I should have came ready to fake the bubbly personality that you have in sales instead of just being authentic. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess. Anyway, I got a call a week later saying that the positions were all filled, but would I be interested in a temporary 2 week position to help get the store ready for opening? I replied "No, Thank You" that I was looking for something more permanent and secure. She continued that after the two weeks, it's possible that I could be hired on if they evaluated and liked my performance and depending on their business. I didn't change my mind and mentioned that I wanted to work for a company that had faith in me as an employee and not have the pressure of having to prove myself over those who already had a secure position, said Thank You, and that was the end of the phone call. I don't regret my decision. If, at that time, the interviewer didn't think I was right for the job, then clearly there was something about me that she didn't think was compatible, because I know it wasn't what I had on paper. I was applying for a Beauty Advisor, which is an entry level, cashier and stocking position, while having a Bachelor Degree from a top University, 13 years Customer Service Experience and tons of knowledge about skin care and makeup, yet did not get the job..... Not sure what they are looking for, but apparently whatever it is, I don't have it, so it's best that someone else have that position. Overall, the actual interview experience wasn't bad at all, just a little more sales oriented than I think is necessary. I wasn't asked anything about the actual products (which I had studied and knew a lot about) besides if I knew of any brands. If you have an incredibly bubbly personality and are young, neat and clean and know a bit about what they want to hear in terms of handling customers, you will do well.

Interview Questions

• What are three of your strengths?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to lead a project and see it through until the end.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your most positive customer experience.   1 Answer

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2017.

Interview

A group interview with a series of questions about personality and retail experience. Interview took about an hour for a group of 4. Questions that were asked pertained to experiences that are applicable to the position.

Interview Questions

• What feedback did you receive and how did you apply that feedback now?   Answer Question

Prestige Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peachtree City, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Peachtree City, GA) in July 2017.

Interview

I loved the interview. I am very confident in my work, so I wasn't nervous at all. I think my knowledge of product helped me out a lot. My interviewer made me feel very comfortable and welcome, but this varies from person to person

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2017.

Interview

I met with the store's general manager one -on- one. She asked me a few questions, had my resume in front of her, and took some notes. It was fairly conversational.

Interview Questions

• Describe your managerial style.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you didn't make your goals. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you led a project through to the end.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if two employees got into an argument in front of a customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped an employee who was struggling with something.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got a call about a week and a half later. Met with the store manager in the back room, she asked maybe five questions (Why Ulta? Favorite brands? Time I had a difficult customer and how did I fix it?). After that, she set up another interview with a manager since they have a two step interview process. The next interview was the same set up, asked pretty much the same questions (Describe a stressful situation, time you delivered great customer service, time you received surprising feedback). Overall very easy!

Interview Questions

• Describe a stressful situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got a call within a week. Got interviewed one on one in the back room and got asked a few questions (How I have dealt with a stressful situation, why Ulta, favorite brand). She told me about the dress code and a few rules.

Prestige Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Southlake, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

I originally applied online for a Lancome BA position. About three months later I got a call from the store manager saying Lancome was fully staffed but that Clinique was available. I had an in person interview at the store the next day.

The questions were basic questions for a cosmetics position, mostly about meeting sales goals, how to boost sales on a slow day, and being willing to touch customers. At the end she directed me to take an online assessment for Clinique at home and then get back to her.

Three days after the online assessment, I had a brief 20 min phone interview with the Clinique Executive. Similar questions as before but required more specific examples.

Four days later I got a call from the Store Manager with an offer.

Since I had previously been employed by Estee Lauder I did not have to take the usual Talent Plus phone interview, but be prepared to if this is your first ELC job.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time where you had to work within a team and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • How would you meet your sales goal if it were a slow day?   Answer Question
    • Why Clinique?   Answer Question
    • What do you like about Ulta and how do you think it differs from your other cosmetic experiences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cartersville, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Cartersville, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty easy. Probably the easiest interview in my life. We met at a Starbucks because the new store is still under construction. The interviewer was very sweet and seemed impressed with my customer service experience. The whole interview took about 15 minutes.

Hair Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Ontario, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

They call you and set up an interview. Then if they like you they set up a technical interview. Look presentable and be confident in your ability to perform the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Ulta?   1 Answer