Ulta Beauty Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 18, 2017

2.1

Esthetician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Forsyth, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Forsyth, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I had a interview with the district manager and the salon manager they asked very basic questions about why I wanted to become a esthetician and why did I want to work at Ulta then at the end of that interview they asked me to come in Friday morning for a second interview which was the technical interview I had to bring in a model and perform a basic facial most of the time she was not watching because she had to set up for her client but when she was watching she asked me about the products I decided to use on my model's skin I guess she wanted to know if I was good at product selection she also gave me a 10 question knowledge quiz so make sure you know your terms and ingredients I was also suppose to apply makeup but I didn't because her client came in also I sold products to my model and got her to sign up for a Ulta rewards card so I think this helped me a lot Monday afternoon I was called and offered the job

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Clifton, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

I had applied online on a late Thursday night. I was more than shocked to have recieved a call that Friday at 5pm. The operations manager asked if I could come in the upcoming Monday for a group interview. When it was time for the interview, it was 4 people in total, 3 girls and a guy. Another manager interviewed us in the middle of the store because she was short staffed and had to be on the sales floor. The interview took about an hour and 10 mins. She asked a lot of retail based questions. They would have been very tricky to answer if one didn't have previous retail experience. She did make the setting very comfortable and was listening to everything each one of us had to say. At the end of the interview, she asked us to pick any product from the store and sell it to another employee we hadn't met with. After that, she talked to each of us individually asking about our availability, how much we made at our previous job, and how much we wanted to make with them. She then said she would call us the following week to see if we moved on to the second interview phase. The next week, I got the call and was scheduled to interview with the operations manager who had originally called me. While interviewing with her, she asked more personal questions about why I like make-up, am I in school, what I am majoring in, if I drove, favorite make-up brand, etc. She made it extremely comfortable to talk to her. At the end she asked again how much I made at my previous job and how much I wanted to make with them. The interview took no more than 15min. Then she said she would call me the following week to see if I got the job. The next week, I got the call that I was hired and I started that Friday.

Interview Questions

• How did you get into make-up?   Answer Question
    • What does Lost Prevention mean to you?   Answer Question
    • What is a beauty advisor, what is your job at Ulta?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with the skin care routine: toning, moisturizing, exfoliating, etc.?   Answer Question
    • Do you know which products are the best products for oily, dry, and combination skin?   Answer Question
    • What is more important to you when you are shopping in a store: operations or visuals?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to deal with an unhappy customer and how did you fix it.   Answer Question

Task Temporary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Clovis, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and had received a phone call less than a day later to come in and interview. I was nervous because I hadn't owned anything black so I went in a pink dress and cute beaded heels. The hiring manager said that he liked that I was the only one that stood out in my outfit. He had a fun upbeat attitude, & it was a group interview with two other girls so I felt the pressure alleviated.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite beauty guru?   1 Answer

Esthetician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Port Richey, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (New Port Richey, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

The phone interview and in person interview went great...then came the technical interview where I had to do a facial on one of the store managers. I arrived 15 minutes early and used that time to read over the Dermalogica facial (as I was under the impression that's how they wanted it done since she gave me the print out). The same manager that did the in person interview greeted me and brought me back to the skin bar where she basically threw me in not knowing where anything was. The store manager I was performing the facial on didn't even have a client consultation form filled out (and even she didn't know where anything was). The mag light didn't work, I had to do the facial with her in a barbers chair...it was horrible. Long story short, what was supposed to be a 1 hour facial took almost 3. I thought maybe they might put into consideration that they weren't prepared for me but no, here we are over a month later and no word back.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a situation in where you had to deal with an unpleasant customer and what you did to fix the situation.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2017.

Interview

I met with the store's general manager one -on- one. She asked me a few questions, had my resume in front of her, and took some notes. It was fairly conversational.

Interview Questions

• Describe your managerial style.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you didn't make your goals. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you led a project through to the end.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if two employees got into an argument in front of a customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped an employee who was struggling with something.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got a call about a week and a half later. Met with the store manager in the back room, she asked maybe five questions (Why Ulta? Favorite brands? Time I had a difficult customer and how did I fix it?). After that, she set up another interview with a manager since they have a two step interview process. The next interview was the same set up, asked pretty much the same questions (Describe a stressful situation, time you delivered great customer service, time you received surprising feedback). Overall very easy!

Interview Questions

• Describe a stressful situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got a call within a week. Got interviewed one on one in the back room and got asked a few questions (How I have dealt with a stressful situation, why Ulta, favorite brand). She told me about the dress code and a few rules.

Prestige Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Southlake, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

I originally applied online for a Lancome BA position. About three months later I got a call from the store manager saying Lancome was fully staffed but that Clinique was available. I had an in person interview at the store the next day.

The questions were basic questions for a cosmetics position, mostly about meeting sales goals, how to boost sales on a slow day, and being willing to touch customers. At the end she directed me to take an online assessment for Clinique at home and then get back to her.

Three days after the online assessment, I had a brief 20 min phone interview with the Clinique Executive. Similar questions as before but required more specific examples.

Four days later I got a call from the Store Manager with an offer.

Since I had previously been employed by Estee Lauder I did not have to take the usual Talent Plus phone interview, but be prepared to if this is your first ELC job.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time where you had to work within a team and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • How would you meet your sales goal if it were a slow day?   Answer Question
    • Why Clinique?   Answer Question
    • What do you like about Ulta and how do you think it differs from your other cosmetic experiences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cartersville, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Cartersville, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty easy. Probably the easiest interview in my life. We met at a Starbucks because the new store is still under construction. The interviewer was very sweet and seemed impressed with my customer service experience. The whole interview took about 15 minutes.

Hair Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Ontario, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

They call you and set up an interview. Then if they like you they set up a technical interview. Look presentable and be confident in your ability to perform the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Ulta?   1 Answer