Ulta Beauty Prestige Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ulta Beauty Prestige Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Knoxville, TN) in December 2016.

Interview

typically you will have 1-2 interviews with the general manager (if two usually one is via phone) then you will interview with the district manager so 2-3 interviews total. My experience was quick, the GM was pretty open that I was who she wanted and did her best to get me in role asap.

Interview Questions

• What have you learned from past management experiences that were difficult, and how did it help you grow.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Ulta Beauty

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

Easy I came from a high end cosmetic line so they seemed impressed. I met with the store manager, super nice guy easy going we had similar backgrounds. We talked for over an hour. Next I met with the distinct manager went smooth was offered the job within 5 minutes of talking

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online received call back within a couple of days. Basic retail questions. Must be prepared to answer previous management experience. Overall the GM was very nice and made me feel comfortable during the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Charlottesville, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Was a former employee...left because of precious management. Came back once everyone cycled out. New GM was sweet. Asked about my experience and what I did previously as a PA. Wasn't very long...once she heard about my experience and saw my cosmetology license...I was in. I love helping people find the right product and I want to make sure they know how to use it and are comfortable and satisfied with their purchase. There is drama in the work environment but I stay to myself and get along with managers. I have tunnel vision and nothing will get in my way of getting promoted to Clinique specialty advisor. If you keep your eye on the prize and really want to work here...you will be successful. It takes awhile to get the hours that you want and to build trust with the people around you but once it's done the job is so, so fulfilling. Not everyone in the store knows beauty products. If you have a passion for cosmetics like I do...this is the place for you. If you just want to be someone who runs a cash register, please don't apply.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important aspect of retail for you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Paso Robles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Paso Robles, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

long and tedious. it took months before they made a decision. I took on the position in September of 2015 but they did not officially hire me until March of 2016. Very frustrating

Interview Questions

• Name a time you faced a difficult situation.   1 Answer

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

Very laid back, informal interview with the GM and DM... I would consider both interviews informal and very easy. Since I was recruited, I feel like they already knew they wanted me on staff since I have been part of the beauty industry for almost a decade. The DM was very sincere and was enthusiastic about answering any questions I had at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to the Prestige department?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altamonte Springs, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Altamonte Springs, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

I was told I would be interviewed by the store manager at 9:30 in the morning. After knocking on the glass several times no one came, so I called and another manager came to the door to let me in. She said that had no idea where her store manager was or when she would be there. After wait for 1 1/2 hours the Associate Manager came in and talked the to the girls who were there for seasonal positions and then did a brief interview with me. During the interview, she was continually interrupted and kept having to leave the room to attend to the store that her manager had not showed up to manager. We walked the Ulta floor and I was asked to point out what I thought was wrong. At the end she asked me to come back in an hour when they thought the store manager would actually be there. After an hour, I came back and interviewed with the store manager where she asked me thorough questions about my background. After going through a full out interview, she told me that I was not a good fit for the position and offered me a temporary associate position and said she would be in touch. She never called me and I would not have accepted anyways because ultimately a store that unorganized would not do me good in wanting to advance in my career. I was polite but I was completely offended with her offering a temporary position when I had store management and previous management experience. A COMPLETE INSULT.

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in March 2015.

Interview

Multiple interviews with associate manager, SM, and a manager of another store. I interviewed with the Associate Manager first and it was great. She was really friendly, it was more of a conversation than anything. We set up an interview with the SM, which also went well. She was really business focused and a little distracted, however, the experience was positive. I was told they were looking to hire pretty soon and I would know by the following week. I waited for a call, and I got one to meet with an SM at another store. I was unable to meet the first day she suggested, however, I offered 3 different options for dates. I never got a call back. I followed up 3 separate times, leaving messages and unable to get in touch with the management to follow up, or schedule that last meeting. It was extremely unprofessional and makes me very uncomfortable as someone who takes care of hiring and onboarding with another company. I can't imagine just not getting back in touch with someone who's tried vigorously to follow up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rogers, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Rogers, AR) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for Prestige Manager position on a Friday and I called the store on Sunday to speak with the manager. He told me he would call me within the next day or two to set up an interview. I was not local so when he called, he set up my interview with my local Ulta store manager. She reached out to me and we set something up for 2 days later. When I arrived, there was a short wait because the store was busy. We met in her office and she turned off her phone and walkie to give me her full attention. I brought a copy of my resume and she started by asking me to tell her a little about myself and why I wanted to work for Ulta. We then moved to some tough situation questions. Then she told me about Ulta and about the position I was applying for. She was very nice and professional. She told me a little about her store but since I wasn't actually applying for that store, we didn't spend a lot of time on that. At the end of the interview, I asked for feedback which she seemed like she was more than happy to give. She said that I answered the questions well and that my comfort and conversation style was on point, but that I should practice on answering the questions with a bit more detail. I need to speak more towards my leadership roles since it was a management position. She told me that she was going to pass me onto the next interview and forward the results of the interview onto the store manager where I was applying. The next step would be to interview with the District Manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to motivate a team of people.
      What was a time where you achieved a goal that you are proud of?
      Describe a time where you had to work as a team and pull through a tough situation.
      Describe a time where you had to deal with an upset customer, how you resolved it, and what the outcome was.
      Answer Question

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in February 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted and interviewed with the store manager and then followed up with the DM about a week later. It was a pretty basic retail management interview, just a serious of "Tell me about a time when" style of questions. If you are reasonably good a customer service and coaching you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• The only question that kind of threw me for a loop was "Tell me about a time you showed integrity" I think most people who have integrity just practice it daily, so, it was hard to come up with some specific example,, it's not like I've been in an Erin Brokovich situation before.   Answer Question

I had initially accepted even though I was extremely disappointed with the salary I was offered. I felt that they really tried to low ball me which was a) insulting as I have substantial experience and b) made me think that the company is cheap and that they don't value their talent. I should have countered offered, but, honestly I was so shocked at how low of a salary they were offering that I just said thank you and hung up. I figured that any job was better than no job...that is until I got the benefits packet. The vacation policy was a deal breaker for me. Your first year of employment you only accrue 40 hours of vacation, that is insane! Just about every other retailer i have worked for gives you about 3 weeks of PTO the first year.

Just a few weeks later I got an offer from another retail for much more money and this company has a much better time off policy, so, I made the right decision