Umpqua Bank Social Media Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

Social Media Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Umpqua Bank (Portland, OR).

Interview

Submitted my resume in July of 2018 for the open Social Media Director role. Received a note from HR that they wanted to interview me for the role. I spoke to them that month and was told that I will hear back in a few weeks in terms of scheduling a second round call with hiring manager. I didn’t hear anything for two weeks, so I followed up and they said that the role had been put on indefinite hold. Annoying, but I didn’t think anything of it until months later in January when I saw the role re-posted, which was exciting me because I really loved the company. I reached out to HR again and they said that they still had their notes and that they’d pass my information along to the hiring manager (this was on 1/9). About a few days later HR said that the hiring manager reviewed my resume and wanted to meet with me. HR then confirmed Monday, 1/14 at 4pm with me via email. So I took the afternoon off, including having to reschedule an interview with another company, to come into the Umpqua office in the Pearl District. After being left in the front lobby outside elevator on 2nd floor for 20 minutes and after having called HR to let them know I was stranded outside (they said to just said to call some admin who was actually out of office), a random employee let me into the office. I let them know I was there to meet with and they went to grab them. The hiring manager came out and looked super confused, stating that they didn’t have me on their calendar. I let them know that the recruiter had confirmed 4pm, but the hiring manager seemed to not believe me, so I showed them my email. They then offered to do the interview right then, but noticing they were caught off guard, I offered to come back Friday at 4pm. Apparently that was when they thought it was originally scheduled for. A super huge inconvenience for me, but I really liked the company and would make sacrifices to be there. I left and HR emailed me to apologize and said that the hiring manager would like me to come back Friday. Fast-forward to Friday at 1pm and I get an email stating that the job description has suddenly changed, making the role more junior, and that they were cancelling my interview. Why a few hours before my interview? Why after having weeks to make changes? Why after reviewing my resume and wanting me to come in? Did the hiring manager take a look at me and suddenly not want to meet with me? The whole thing seemed super disorganized and unprofessional. I truly can’t believe that in 2019 a company can really be treating candidates this way. Hopefully no other candidates have to have my same horrible experience.

Interview Questions