Uncommon Schools Office Manager/Special Program Coordinator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uncommon Schools Office Manager/Special Program Coordinator Interview Questions

Interviews at Uncommon Schools

1 Interview Review

4.0

Office Manager/Special Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

I was referred to Uncommon by a friend. Once I applied, they called me a few days later to schedule a phone interview. The questions were basic, but on the negative side, "tell me about a time things didn't go right?" "How do you deal with projects that don't go well"

After I passed the phone interview, they called me in for an in-person interview. There was one other candidate there. We had a tour of the school and then they had us do various tasks. Some excel work, writing a memo to parents and prioritization. There was also a formal interview which was pretty basic, but once again, focused on negative questions.

I was told to come in for another interview, and it was more relaxed. They did have me do various tasks, but nothing major. I got a call about a week later and they said that I was overqualified for the Office Manager role, but wanted me to look into the Special Project Coordinator position.

I got an interview at a New Jersey school where about 8 other people were there. We did not get a tour of the school or any real info of the school. They quickly had us do some tasks, excel, memo, prioritization and another one which I cannot recall. Once again, there was a formal interview, this time in front of 4-5 people. They asked negative leading questions again, and I did not get a chance to ask any follow up questions. I also met with the Director of Operations, who was a bit kinder and let me ask questions, but since we ran short on time and I didn't get all my questions asked.

They called me a day later (on Saturday) asking if I can come in for an interview Monday. I would be assisting with parent registration, observing how the lunch room is run and another formal interview. I went in from 8am-4pm and interacted with parents/scholars. After talking to other charter school teachers, I found this part odd that they asked this of me since I was not officially employed. The formal interview was basic questions following up from the first day of interviews (at the NJ school) They needed clarification on stuff. They asked me on a scale of 1-10 how likely I was to take the job, which I said was a 9-10.

They contacted all my references as well as received a glowing recommendation letter from my previous employer. I got an email about 5 days later from a different HR rep saying I was not accepted for the position. Take back by this, I emailed my HR rep for clarification since I spent days with this school interviewing and to just receive a simple email was not enough for me.

She called about an hour later explaining that though the email was not a mistake, she was suppose to follow up with me first before the email went out.

Everything about the process rubbed me the wrong way. It almost felt like the interviewer was using me to do various tasks around the school instead of seeing if I should be a good fit or not. Having me order school supplies, interacting with families are not things you have someone do on an interview. You have them do that once they are employed. She encouraged me to apply for other positions, but I will not be doing that at all.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were really difficult, but they were all just negative based and I rarely got to ask them questions about the role.   Answer Question