Uncommon Schools Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 23, 2017

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I completed an in-depth online application followed by a confirmed email. A few days later I received an email asking to set up a phone interview. During the phone interview, I was asked a variety of questions regarding my teaching style and philosophy. My answers were recorded and sent to the potential leadership team. The leadership team at the school interviewing contacted me a few days later to immediately set up an in-person interview and sample teaching lesson. I was then provided with materials and suggested videos for modeling my teaching. During the in-person process it was about 3 hours long. I interviewed with several leadership members as well as visited a classroom to observe. I then did my sample lesson and reflected with the team. I was offered the position, pending recommendations, before leaving the interview.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being strict) rate yourself as a disciplinarian.   3 Answers
    • Describe an experience with a supervisor.   Answer Question

Associate Director of Development Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online for a different role initially and was contacted by a recruiter who expressed interest in having me interview for a role that was much more in line with my skill set. She scheduled an initial phone screen which went really well and then followed up a week later with a skills-based test. The test included a writing sample scenario and a prioritization task. Be prepared for this test! It is timed and felt very much like a real project with a deadline. While I was not moved forward, I cannot say enough good things about the interview process at Uncommon Schools. I was very impressed and happy with my experience throughout the process. The recruiter was extremely organized, timely, courteous, and supportive throughout every stage. She clearly communicated and followed up during each step. I felt like my time and the work I put into the interview was valued. Other organizations can learn a great deal from their approach.

Interview Questions

• What interests you in Uncommon Schools and this particular position?   1 Answer

Teacher Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied through an referral from a friend who works with the school. A few days after giving in my resume I received a email for a phone interview. Promptly I responded and had my phone interview the very same day, then the next day I was called into for a face to face interview where I had to conduct a lesson given to me as well as take a content test. The principal was super nice, gave me helpful feedback and two hours after my interview I received the offer.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Met with all other candidates for Immersion Day. It was interesting seeing your competition and having to answer questions in front of them. On that day, we had a schedule planned for us and various people to meet with and tasks to complete.

Summer Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

The application process is super low-stress and actually pretty fun - after submitting your application they may invite you in for an "immersion day" where you teach a sample lesson, observe classes, and meet with a school leader who offers you feedback on your lesson. Definitely follow the format they provide you with - and just be yourself! Everyone is super nice and inviting!

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

3+ hours "Immersion Day" with 5-6 people, about 30 min each. Two writing and presentation tasks based on a project plan draft. Role playing the presentation to senior leadership with some Q&A in the role. Very few traditional questions about strengths, weaknesses, previous experiences. Time felt incredibly rushed and it was unclear how I performed. At the end, a reflection question - how did you think it went? - felt loaded and it wasn't clear what the desired answer was.

Interview Questions

• Prepare a project plan with a template, based on information given.   Answer Question
    • Write an email to an executive to convince them to support the project.   Answer Question
    • Develop a presentation to recommend next steps - and present it during a role play.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

The process took about four weeks. Applied online and was called the next day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about half an hour. Two weeks later I was invited to an in person interview which lasted about two hours. Various examinations were given. They know exactly what they're looking for and unfortunately not many will fit in.

Teacher Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

We conducted a telephone interview that lasted about 15 minutes. Be sure to figure out ways to talk about yourself and to create those opportunities should they not present themselves.

Recruiting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I had about three phone interviews and then was interviewed on-site at one of their schools. I have not received my travel reimbursement yet but it hasn't been 8 weeks since I submitted it.

Interview Questions

• I had to do an exercise where I put important emails in order.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

After taking a brief tour of the school you will set up to complete a 30 minute demo lesson. They are very accommodating and will provide you with electronic devices if needed. Next we debriefed the lesson and used the student work to talk about data. They send you a rubric ahead of time. They then have you spend 40 minutes observing classes and then part 2 of interview questions. I was there from 9:30 to 1:45.

Interview Questions

• How would you support students who did not master the lesson that day?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations.