Uncommon Schools Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 30, 2017

2.9

Summer Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

The application process is super low-stress and actually pretty fun - after submitting your application they may invite you in for an "immersion day" where you teach a sample lesson, observe classes, and meet with a school leader who offers you feedback on your lesson. Definitely follow the format they provide you with - and just be yourself! Everyone is super nice and inviting!

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

3+ hours "Immersion Day" with 5-6 people, about 30 min each. Two writing and presentation tasks based on a project plan draft. Role playing the presentation to senior leadership with some Q&A in the role. Very few traditional questions about strengths, weaknesses, previous experiences. Time felt incredibly rushed and it was unclear how I performed. At the end, a reflection question - how did you think it went? - felt loaded and it wasn't clear what the desired answer was.

Interview Questions

• Prepare a project plan with a template, based on information given.   Answer Question
    • Write an email to an executive to convince them to support the project.   Answer Question
    • Develop a presentation to recommend next steps - and present it during a role play.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

The process took about four weeks. Applied online and was called the next day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about half an hour. Two weeks later I was invited to an in person interview which lasted about two hours. Various examinations were given. They know exactly what they're looking for and unfortunately not many will fit in.

Teacher Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

We conducted a telephone interview that lasted about 15 minutes. Be sure to figure out ways to talk about yourself and to create those opportunities should they not present themselves.

Recruiting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I had about three phone interviews and then was interviewed on-site at one of their schools. I have not received my travel reimbursement yet but it hasn't been 8 weeks since I submitted it.

Interview Questions

• I had to do an exercise where I put important emails in order.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

After taking a brief tour of the school you will set up to complete a 30 minute demo lesson. They are very accommodating and will provide you with electronic devices if needed. Next we debriefed the lesson and used the student work to talk about data. They send you a rubric ahead of time. They then have you spend 40 minutes observing classes and then part 2 of interview questions. I was there from 9:30 to 1:45.

Interview Questions

• How would you support students who did not master the lesson that day?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Summer Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Host school was very welcoming, allowing for perspective fellows to feel confident and comfortable.The organization provided a travel reimbursement making it beneficial for those who are traveling from afar.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach middle school?   1 Answer

School Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a phone interview first, with someone who was not familiar with the role or trainings/qualifications I should have. That interview was easy and cordial. Afterwards I had an interview at the school with leadership. Like the phone interviewer, they did not understand the role of a social worker either. The unfortunate difference is that they think they do. I did numerous role plays in which I was given feedback similar to what they give teachers (change my tone to "strong voice", use of "economy of language", etc). We role played difficult conversations with parents. It was clear that they were used to talking to families in a way that is condescending. I was also asked to observe a child who receives counseling and speculate on what could be going on at home. It was clear they had minimal understanding of school social work and really just wanted to see a) how malleable I was b) if I was a "fit" and c) if I could tolerate school culture. In retrospect, I should have asked them way more questions about the role and also explicitly asked the outgoing social worker more about her experience in the school and its pros and cons. The interview is so long and performance-oriented that I didn't truly stop to think critically about the role.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if an angry parent started yelling and complaining during morning arrival?   Answer Question

Apprentice Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I was called unexpectedly and interviewed via phone on the spot. The recruiter was pleasant and supportive. I was told my application would be passed along for review and I should hear back within a week.

School Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter and in person interview with an operations team member and social worker. Had to observe a class in each grade and observe and answer questions on one student. Answered what my observation and intervention were. A lot of it was done on my own time. The whole interview lasted 2 hour. Phone interview was 20 minutes.