Underwriters Laboratories Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Underwriters Laboratories Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2017

2.7

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview

I applied online. 3 days later I got an email from HR wanting to schedule a phone interview. We scheduled it for a few days later. The interview was about 20 minutes. She asked me what I knew about the company, why I wanted to work at UL and what was important for me in my future job. It was a very straight forward interview. A week later I got an email saying that I would interview onsite. The interview lasted approximately 1.5 hours. I interviewed with the hiring manager and senior engineer (my future boss). The interview with the hiring manager was not technical he simply asked me what i liked to do outside of engineering, what I knew about the company and why I wanted to work there. He then let me ask him questions. I asked a bunch of questions ranging from the role to how to successful. He gave me tips too it was very relaxing interview. After the senior engineer came in. This would be my boss and we would work together. He wen't over my resume and asked me about my projects. I explained to him my projects he then had me explain how a simple radar system worked. I drew a layout and explained each component. I didn't answer all of the questions correctly, but he just wanted to see my thought process.He then wanted to know me and see if I would be a good fit for the team and asked me behavioral questions. After the interview he gave me a tour of the lab. A week after the interview I get a call from HR with a job offer. Overall very straightforward interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at UL?   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (San Jose, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview with HR over the phone. Most of the phone interview questions are the same as the others Ex. Why UL, Why study EE, What is your salary expectation.
    and about 3 weeks later interviewed on-site at UL (San Jose, CA).

Interview Questions

• All were situational questions, where were about 5 of them.
      Ex. Describe a situation when you reach consensus with team/client/supervisor.
      (It is recommended to answer the questions by using STAR method, situation task action result)
      I found my interviewer was extremely hard to communicate. I think explain everything in precise and concise manner would help.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview

Received email requesting phone interview. Scheduled phone interview. Interviewer double booked, we rescheduled phone interview. Interviewer missed the rescheduled phone interview. After following up, the interviewer asked for times to reschedule phone interview and schedule in person interview. After offering several options I never heard back from interviewer despite follow ups via phone and email.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to schedule a phone interview that I will double book, then reschedule again and miss and then never reply afterwards?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview

I have applied online. Got a response after a month to have a interview(phone call). The call lasted for about 30min. Got the rejection reply for my follow up email after a week.

Interview Questions

• What are the three qualifications that matches with the position?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (Northbrook, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email for a phone interview within a week. After that, I was called for an in-person interview. They didnt ask anything too fancy just your past experiences and stuff. Got an email saying that I did not have the experience but due to my good interview I was recommended to another department. They kept on passing me to 3 different departments and in the end all of them saying that I did not have the required experience. I mean you all knew I recently graduated how will I have your REQUIRED experience. And why did you keep on recommending me to different departments.

Senior Consultant/Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview

This was the most puzzling and disturbing phone screening I've ever participated in. Immediately after giving background on myself, and without discussing ANY details about the various tasks and responsibilities of the potential position, I was asked by the HR phone screener what my expected salary range is. I explained that I felt uncomfortable discussing specific salary requirements prior to an offer being made, without having any information about the Sr. Consultant/Advisor position role, and without any details of UL's standard commission structure related to the sales portion of this role. She bluntly dismissed my concerns and demanded a numerical figure. I relented, and offered a very general range ("X" figures) as what would meet my most basic needs to continue the interview. That apparently wasn't enough for her, and she rudely ended the conversation after rambling on about how much it would cost to continue the interview process or make further arrangements for flights to meet hiring managers, etc.

If this is how UL wishes their HR department to represent themselves to potential employees, I can't imagine ever considering working there. This isn't my first phone screen interview. The screener was NOT even a hiring manager. Usually these initial conversations are used to establish a candidate's basic qualifications and to see whether a person has the potential to be a culture fit. I've never been put on the spot in such a demeaning fashion before. I found it incredibly offensive, and a huge waste of my time.

To me, it seems to lack any amount of decency or reason why a company would want potential candidates to be asked their monetary requirements before there's even an in-depth discussion of the job. That's just putting the cart before the horse. I don't know if this is UL's official hiring policy, or if this particular staff member needs further training on her own duties - but I'll certainly have a whole new view of UL going forward. I hope others don't suffer the same fate.

Interview Questions

• Without knowing anything about the job, be prepared to offer up exactly what your salary expectations are.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (Northbrook, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Didn't get past the phone interview. Phone interview is pretty standard. Phone interview followed what was listed in the interview tips portion of the UL website. They use the STAR method. They did ask for salary expectations.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest accomplishment?   1 Answer

Responsible Social Compliance Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and then was contacted to complete a phone screening. Following the screening, I had a first and second round interview. No response for offer, two weeks after second interview. No response to follow up inquiry.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary expectations?   1 Answer

EMC Laboratory Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for this position on the official website. The process is about one week and the recruiter of UL emailed to me to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview last for half an hour.

Interview Questions

• All about previous experience and what kind of job was I looking for   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (Fremont, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

4 total interview parts. 3 on the phone and 1 in person. First was just from HR, second was w/ potential boss, and third was with boss's boss. In person interview was more of just a casual meeting since they had already asked me so many questions on the phone.

Everyone was really nice and UL seemed like a great company.
    I turned down the position because salary was low.