Underwriters Laboratories Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Underwriters Laboratories Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

2.7

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview

Received email requesting phone interview. Scheduled phone interview. Interviewer double booked, we rescheduled phone interview. Interviewer missed the rescheduled phone interview. After following up, the interviewer asked for times to reschedule phone interview and schedule in person interview. After offering several options I never heard back from interviewer despite follow ups via phone and email.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to schedule a phone interview that I will double book, then reschedule again and miss and then never reply afterwards?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview

I have applied online. Got a response after a month to have a interview(phone call). The call lasted for about 30min. Got the rejection reply for my follow up email after a week.

Interview Questions

• What are the three qualifications that matches with the position?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant/Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview

This was the most puzzling and disturbing phone screening I've ever participated in. Immediately after giving background on myself, and without discussing ANY details about the various tasks and responsibilities of the potential position, I was asked by the HR phone screener what my expected salary range is. I explained that I felt uncomfortable discussing specific salary requirements prior to an offer being made, without having any information about the Sr. Consultant/Advisor position role, and without any details of UL's standard commission structure related to the sales portion of this role. She bluntly dismissed my concerns and demanded a numerical figure. I relented, and offered a very general range ("X" figures) as what would meet my most basic needs to continue the interview. That apparently wasn't enough for her, and she rudely ended the conversation after rambling on about how much it would cost to continue the interview process or make further arrangements for flights to meet hiring managers, etc.

If this is how UL wishes their HR department to represent themselves to potential employees, I can't imagine ever considering working there. This isn't my first phone screen interview. The screener was NOT even a hiring manager. Usually these initial conversations are used to establish a candidate's basic qualifications and to see whether a person has the potential to be a culture fit. I've never been put on the spot in such a demeaning fashion before. I found it incredibly offensive, and a huge waste of my time.

To me, it seems to lack any amount of decency or reason why a company would want potential candidates to be asked their monetary requirements before there's even an in-depth discussion of the job. That's just putting the cart before the horse. I don't know if this is UL's official hiring policy, or if this particular staff member needs further training on her own duties - but I'll certainly have a whole new view of UL going forward. I hope others don't suffer the same fate.

Interview Questions

• Without knowing anything about the job, be prepared to offer up exactly what your salary expectations are.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (Northbrook, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

Didn't get past the phone interview. Phone interview is pretty standard. Phone interview followed what was listed in the interview tips portion of the UL website. They use the STAR method. They did ask for salary expectations.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest accomplishment?   1 Answer

Responsible Social Compliance Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and then was contacted to complete a phone screening. Following the screening, I had a first and second round interview. No response for offer, two weeks after second interview. No response to follow up inquiry.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary expectations?   1 Answer

EMC Laboratory Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for this position on the official website. The process is about one week and the recruiter of UL emailed to me to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview last for half an hour.

Interview Questions

• All about previous experience and what kind of job was I looking for   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (Fremont, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

4 total interview parts. 3 on the phone and 1 in person. First was just from HR, second was w/ potential boss, and third was with boss's boss. In person interview was more of just a casual meeting since they had already asked me so many questions on the phone.

Everyone was really nice and UL seemed like a great company.
    I turned down the position because salary was low.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview

HR phone screen.
    Technical interview by phone. No technical questions - mostly technical background.
    Coding challenge assignment.
    In person interview with multiple developers.

The entire experience was positive minus one thing. After spending half a vacation day from my current job and multiple hours in the interview process I did not receive a follow-up email or phone call telling me the outcome. That is unprofessional and not appreciated.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Two weeks later interviewed with Hr recruiter. Was subsequently invited to interview with hiring manager. Waited to get call for about two weeks. Didn't hear anything back so I contacted Hr recruiter.

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories (Northbrook, IL).

Interview

Contacted by HR for interview, then a phone interview with manager, then came in for in person interview with another manager and a director. All went well and they seemed very interested. Got no communication after interviews, nothing. I reached out after a week to check in. They said they were still working through the process and would get back to me soon. Then absolutely nothing. Very disappointing, companied expect you to be professional but then don't give you the same courtesy back. Cant recommend them as they make you jump through a lot of hoops to interview with them but then don't hold up their end. Not mad that I didn't get the job, more upset they didn't communicate anything.

Interview Questions

• just general work history and why you are changing jobs.   Answer Question