Union Pacific IT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Union Pacific IT Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Greensboro, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied at University. Talked to Recruiter at the College Career fair. Interview the next day on campus. Very easy interview. Recruiter was very cool. Also is alumni at my school. Just asked me some behavioral questions. What I would prefer in the Union Pacific internship. Asked basic java knowledge questions.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions, a few easy technical questions. Easy interview. Waiting to hear back.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Very behavioral. Long list of generic behavioral questions, with the only somewhat technical question being the difference between an object and a class. Not much emphasis on the details of my resume. Would have preferred more time to talk about it. Easy interview overall. Should have spent more time preparing generic behavioral answers.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your greatest weaknesses as a computer scientist?
      Describe one of your projects.
      Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Everything was very straight forward. They were at my college career fair, and they asked me to come for an on campus interview the next day. The interview was all behavioral and there were no technical questions. The people were very nice. A week later they contacted me to tell me to apply online. A few weeks after that I got my offer letter.

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific in September 2014.

Interview

Discovered the company at a university engineering career fair. Submitted my resume and applied for the position. Heard back in week that I was selected for an on campus interview. Interview was about 30 minutes, mainly behavioral with minimal technical questions (more related to technical communication). Heard back two (?) weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you and a team member did not agree on something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Atlanta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

Get the On campus interview through campus career fair. The questions are mostly behavior. They did ask a little bit technical, but basically some simple ones like what is IP? Research the company background is important as well. The interviewer is really nice and he tries to help you as well.

IT Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2013.

Interview

Mostly behavioral questions, glazed over a few object oriented questions. Easy straight to the point interview. They like it when you demonstrate your interests in programming through side projects. Be sure to ask questions to the interviewer at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe object oriented programming to your grandmother.
      Do you have any side projects and if so, describe them.
      What's your favorite class in school and why?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation for an intern salary.

IT Interview

Interview

The interview was very traditional but most of the questions were read from a sheet of paper. Nothing particularly hard or deep in the questions. Standard all around but he was very good in the part where the interviewee asks the questions. He seemed very interested in the interview and his job and was courteous throughout.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to ask for help and what was it and how did it go?   Answer Question

I got a better counter offer from another company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in January 2013.

Interview

Attended an open house for their Austin, TX satellite office and forwarded my resume to a manager there. He then set up a phone interview with a Software Engineer from HQ in Omaha, NE. We had a 45 minute behavioral interview that was pretty easy and I felt comfortable with how it went.

Less than a week after the phone interview, I received a phone call wanting them to fly me out to Omaha for an on-site interview. Once I set that up, it was nice accommodations. They set me up in a Doubletree Hotel across the street from HQ with breakfast the morning before the interview. The on-site interview was fairly straightforward. It started with a 30 minute company and IT department overview. Then, there I had two one-on-one interviews with Senior Managers who mainly asked the standard behavioral questions about weaknesses, strengths, and where I see myself in five years.

After the one-an-ones, there was a panel interview with four people at once who were a combination of Senior Engineers and Managers across several different groups within IT. It was also a fairly straightforward interview where they didn't ask any technical questions.

After all of the interviews, we had an informal lunch in the cafeteria in the building. After lunch, we went on a tour of the data center, their lab, various other parts of the building, and they drove me around Omaha.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in September 2011.

Interview

Very positive interview experience. The Union Pacific rep was very friendly, easy to talk to, and seemed like someone who I would want to work with. Some of the questions were of the HR nature, but most of the interview dealt with my background and how Union Pacific and I could be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you were in charge of a group.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to deal with a team member that was difficult and how did you deal with the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in February 2011.

Interview

Started with a 1:1 interview. They use a list of standard questions they give to everyone. Next was a couple of phone interviews detailing a position and its requirements. After the initial phone interview with management team, was brought in for an in person panel interview with many of the same questions as the first 1:1 interview. Do your homework before you interview here. You should have a solid understanding of what UP does, how they are doing, where they are going and what challenges they currently are facing. It is important to them that they know you have spent time understanding the railroad industry. Also, try and relate past experiences into your answers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

more salary. There is a lot of opportunity at UP. Getting your foot in the door is a big accomplishment. There is lots of room to grow. So realize you might end up accepting less than you might like.