Union Pacific Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

2.7

Signal Design Engineer - Systems Development/CAD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in August 2016.

Interview

Institutionalized hiring process. They put you through a 2 1/2 hour IQ test. The kind you would take back in high school. More of a word quiz than anything. If you like word problems or solving trick questions then this is right up your ally. Has absolutely nothing at all to do with Signal Design Engineering. Beyond that never talk with any human. It's all online. Then you go through the background checks and what not. Not sure what goes on beyond that point. I withdrew my application and decided not to participate further in their hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Operating Management Test Battery   2 Answers

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process at Union Pacific is relatively a typical corporate structured process. Make sure that you come prepared and stay concise with your answers. Be prepared to initiate with w phone interview and then followed by a panel.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in April 2013.

Interview

You have three separate interviews during the process. They sit you down in front of several people who ask you questions for about forty-five minutes each time. There are several hard tests they make you take and you have to qualify at a certain percentage.

Interview Questions

• They ask you a lot of questions about safety and if you have ever broken rules.   1 Answer

Train Crewman Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2013.

Interview

This company basically lied to us in a hiring session, telling us we would be paid $140-$150 a day to train, then go on the job training at almost $20 union scale an hour.. once we started we were told it was only $10 an hour and we could not join union for 6 months or a year. After almost a month, we still cant get direct answers from anyone, and even the HR people in Nebraska refuse to call the recruiter to ask what we were promies, which seems to point to them knowing of the practice and refusing to do anything about it.

Interview Questions

• They will not answer any of your questions, although they will have many for you. The class work every day would assign homework that would take an adiittional 4 or 5 hours to complete.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It is HORRIBLE, we still cant get an answer why we were lied to.

IT Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Ames, IA) in March 2012.

Interview

Did an on campus interview with 2 of their associates. The application online was very long and detailed akin to applying for a security clearance. During the interview they asked very detailed questions such as experience with IT security and different publications that I read.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I knew certain industry standards and issues(e.g stack overflows).   Answer Question

Electronics Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cordova, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Rancho Cordova, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

A very intense panel interview. Presentations and paperwork took up most of the day. The actual interview process was a little under two hours. Questions started off very general then gradually became technical with every passing round of three interviewers. Be prepared to answer questions regarding microwave technologies and frequencies.

Interview Questions

• Explain microwaves in relation to communication   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to travel 75% of every month. One week home and three away.   1 Answer

received a similar offer from a different company with the same benefits. The new company was closer to home.

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Approx. 1 week after the job closed I was invited to take a online management test. 5 days after that was scheduled for an interview. I was told of the proposed start date which was 2 months after the interview. I went for a psychological exam. A medical exam and physical fitness test. A background exam. That was followed by a week long training program in Omaha Nebraska. The process was very straight forward and the company did a good job of keeping me informed during every step.

E-learning Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in March 2014.

Interview

Had a phone interview with someone from HR, then came for an in-person interview with a panel of diverse members who asked pretty canned questions. After that, had to complete a work example to show them my development process.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

It was a series of interviews that started with a career fair, then went to hr interview, which then moved to a onsite interview, all the interviews were fun and challenging

Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE).

Interview

Interview process included one one-on-one interviewer on college campus and a full day of interviews (one on ones and panels) for the second interview. Be prepared with a lot of questions as you will be meeting with a lot of employees!

Interview Questions

• A lot of situational based questions (tell me about a time..)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the base salary: however, I felt it was competitive with other companies in Omaha and the industry.