Union Pacific Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 23, 2017

2.7

IT Engineer(Voice Systems Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in March 2016.

Interview

I gave UP my resume at a career fair, they put my name in their system and notified me that they would like to interview on my campus. For my college campus interview, two IT recruiters (that were actually managers in IT) were there to interview me. They asked me the typical questions about my resume and skills. I don't recall any specific questions other than the one I put below.

Interview Questions

• What separates you from the other applicants?   1 Answer

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Shasta, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Mount Shasta, CA).

Interview

Was a hiring session consisting of 50 or more applicants. The person conducting the session made it sound like a nightmare job. It's not as bad as he made it out to be. Did a reading comprehension test. A physical test that required situps, grip test and a pull test. More then 50% of the applicants were dismissed after these tests. After that was the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about safety. They asked questions about driving history, heavy equipment operations, job history. The usual questions you would get in interviews.   1 Answer

Manager of Yard Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Filled out online application, the system will notify you if you are selected for an in person interview. In person interview with a group of people on a scheduled date, will have to take multiple written tests, clear your schedule, it's an all day affair, but they buy your lunch. If you are selected, they will call you within 24 hours or so to let you know if you have a second interview. The second interview is a panel of people who will be in charge of you,it was much more in depth, and they will pick apart your experience and be far more difficult than the first interview.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, strengths, weaknesses etc, hard decisions and so on. Second interview was a discussion of my experience.   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Wichita, KS).

Interview

Invited to hiring session, given the overview of the job and all it requires. They then move on to tell you how you'll never see your family again and that you'll marriage has a good chance to end in a divorce and tell you you might get killed and generally try to scare you away. You then sit down with local managers and HR rep and have a interview by yourself

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Austin, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Very behavioral. Long list of generic behavioral questions, with the only somewhat technical question being the difference between an object and a class. Not much emphasis on the details of my resume. Would have preferred more time to talk about it. Easy interview overall. Should have spent more time preparing generic behavioral answers.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your greatest weaknesses as a computer scientist?
      Describe one of your projects.   Answer Question

Corporate Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about a week later for a phone interview. The interviewer was friendly and most of the questions were get to know you type with some behavioral questions as well.

Interview Questions

• What's the biggest thing you learned from your undergraduate degree?   Answer Question

Summer(Finance) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in December 2015.

Interview

A campus recruiter made a presentation about UP at our University. I applied online and got a phone call about a week later to schedule a phone interview, ended up doing it on the spot (it was pretty standard). Got invited to 2nd round interview in Omaha about another week later. UP paid for all expenses and gave me a tour of Omaha (it's nicer than you think). They were friendly and every interview felt like a conversation. They were very focuses on analytical and technical skills. "Why UP?" was a frequently asked question.

Great people and great place, if I didn't have a local offer I would have accepted.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you've used your analytical skills?   Answer Question

RN OHN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Tucson, AZ) in December 2015.

Interview

Panel interview consisted of a Regional Manager manager, and two Directors. I was promised two full weeks of in office training by "one of the best nurses." I was told there would be "some" travel. There was a lot of travel. They stayed the job was a 20/HR per week position. It was 20 hrs / week salary position. After first two weeks in the office, I realized the job is a full time position. Comping my travel time hours put me very behind with office work. Was lied to. The Superintendents had given managers to offer me a full time spot. I was not. One of the directors gave my injured employee dangerous medical advice. I never received my personal computer in time to train for 3 days in Utah. I was sent to Omaha for orientation two weeks late. Therefore I lost the opportunity to receive the in office training I was promised. My trips were much longer than initially told. Expectation to answer co. cell phone on off days. No communication or guidance needed from my direct manager. I lost important family events due to travel and training for nothing. Truly disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to work full time in the near future?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was not given the option to negotiate, however the male nurse hired after me in El Paso negotiated. Was given higher pay and more hours.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Basically a heavy behaviourally focused interview with a lot of question regarding your experiences with dealing with people and difficulty of projects worked on during school.
    The interview had a slight technical aspect to it.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain a class to someone who doesn't know about it?   Answer Question

Mechanical Department Intenrship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in November 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. second round, Three interviews in Omaha. They flew me out there for a weekend. One interview with the head of human resources, car facilities, and locomotive facilities. The interview for cars was pretty laid back and the locomotive interview was a pretty intense interrogation of my management skills.