Union Pacific Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Union Pacific Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.7

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific in July 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume, certification and answered a bunch of qualification questions that got me to an online personality test. The test takes about an hour to complete and makes no sense of some of the questions asked. I qualified for an interview and about a week later was emailed a date/time for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• What qualifies you for this position   Answer Question
    • What does a special agent do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you know about our company.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation you had where you had to deal with an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • What do you like the least/most about your current job?   Answer Question
    • What are your personal strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • If we were to ask your boss what type of person you are, how would they respond?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

I applied through university. I then attended the career fair and was told to attend a meeting where they provide background on company. Scheduled an interview for the next day. The interview was a 1-1 interview (behavioral). the process after that takes awhile. I didn't hear back until 2 months later.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you witnessed an employee doing something unsafe. What did you do?   Answer Question

Sheet Metal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

You are invited to a "hiring session" with a group of people a video is played, and you are allowed to ask questions. Then you are scheduled for a individual interview by three UP employees (a panel interview) Do not lie on your application the UP police will check/ investigate. A kid asked what the job duties were and didn't even get a clear answer, He was told "everything". To top it off online we were told the job was to take place in Crystal Lake during the hiring session we then learned it would take place in Highland Park almost an hour away from Crystal lake?

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Union Pacific?
      What experience do you have With Fuel systems Sanding systems Hydraulic and pneumatic systems?
      Have you ever been late for work?
      What kinds of hand tools have you used before?
      Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Corvallis, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

It went well, it was a phone interview and conducted professionally. I never heard anything back from them however. I did not follow up after the interview because there was more moving than I was comfortable with but it was still rather unexpected to not even receive an email with a thank you but no.

Train Crew Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

so i drove to hermiston oregon from portland to interview for train crew the recruiter was very informative but if you have been fired from a job within two years of of this interview do not go i did not click the box that i had been fired within two years i asked him 15 minutes after being in class he said i would be fine so i came back for my interview at noon he starts asking me questions and i get to this particular job and he says that i falsafied a legal doc. i didnt really care but it was more upsetting that he acted shocked when i had asked him in the morning but make sure your work dates for other job are spot on because they check this by the UP police department and i will be honest my dates were rough not exact so be sure to be precise and honest on your application and double check i spent 500 dollars to go to this interview anessentiallscrewed it

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

First interview was in person with members of the department and an HR Generalist. Basic and behavioral interview questions. Second interview was with the department manager and the department head. Everyone was very friendly. It was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Briefly describe your work/education history and how it has prepared you for this role.   Answer Question

Train Crew Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific in May 2015.

Interview

You have a two hour information briefing and then a 15 minute straight forward interview. Come in business causual, well groomed. Take notes and don't be late. Was choosen as an alternate.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Kansas City, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

Very boring but educative. the stated he pros and cons of the company was discussed and the essence of safety on the job wa really emphasised. also it was clearly stated that the company has zero tolerance for drugs and alcoholic, Also the benefits of working for the company was well echoed.

Interview Questions

• past experience in your former jobs and what you know about the job   Answer Question

University Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in May 2015.

Interview

This was by far and away the most difficult department I have interacted with in greater Omaha. It took me 3 weeks to receive any contact, despite directly reaching out to the hiring manager and 3 other members of the department. My interviewers told me on the spot that I was being interviewed for 2 positions, even though the job description only included one internship. At the end of the interview, I asked for any information to send thank yous, and the recruiter cut them off to explain that I could reach the recruiter directly (despite the fact that they had not replied to the emails I did send). Therefore, I was unable what I have done for every other company in Omaha--send a thank you note to all of my interviewers for their time. I was told that they would reach out within the week either way, but it took over 3 weeks to find out that I was no longer being considered for the position, and the only reason I found out was by going to their website and checking my profile (no automated email, no follow-up, nothing). Very unimpressed, totally unreasonable. I'll gladly take my talents elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the most difficult team you ever had to work with?   1 Answer

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Roseville, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Great process said interviewed well. Lacked experience. They flew me to Roseville, CA. Not upset I didn't get the job would loved to work for such a dynamic company. Coming out of college need to obtain more experience.