Union Pacific Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Union Pacific Operations Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Union Pacific

3.1

Operation Manager Interview

Interview

I got an email saying that I was invited to the interviewing process. When you get to the interview site the interviewer gives a short presentation. Then take four test that take about four hours. two of the tests are personality profiles. The test were not that bad. As for the interview it was pretty basic. They ask you situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Over the past week when have you incorporated safety into your daily routine   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE).

Interview

First thing to prepare yourself with that you do not see in any other hiring event or interview is how many times they try to get you to leave. Not joking. They have done this since the railroad started hiring people a hundred and fifty plus years ago.
    You will not forget the interview process with this organization. I have gone through and been to both the labor side and management side of hiring events. I will tell you that it is unlike any other organizations hiring process. First, we still use scare tactics… yes at the recruiting events when we should be attracting talent. We tell you that you will be overworked, stressed out, out in the elements (even if hired for an office job or leadership position). Hiring managers tell you about all the time away from home that you will have as both labor and management. A few times they have literally said “If your marriage is not strong do not join.” How this critical issue has never been addressed before by senior management as an area for improvement is beyond me, it is simply accepted as a norm here.
    After the scare tactics there is a brief oral intro about what the railroad does and how it operates. This is usually another talking point used transition back into a diatribe of how much this organization requires of all employees, labor and management.
    There are multiple times where they ask you to consider all the perils of this job while you take a break. They even ask you to call your significant other and tell them what you have been told, then ask them if they are ok with these terrible working conditions, long and odd hours, and time spent away from home.

Interview Questions

• Be able to articulate how safety is important and relevant in the workplace.
      Also, have examples of safe activities you engaged in at your previous employer.
      Be able to explain what you would do if you witnessed a coworker or friend engaging in unsafe behavior.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Union Pacific (El Paso, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I interviewd with the Sr. HR director insividual was pleaseant and had a structured interview process, gave handoutson the training lengths locations I would possibly be working in. Answered all of my questions.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work for UP   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Corvallis, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

It went well, it was a phone interview and conducted professionally. I never heard anything back from them however. I did not follow up after the interview because there was more moving than I was comfortable with but it was still rather unexpected to not even receive an email with a thank you but no.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

I applied through university. I then attended the career fair and was told to attend a meeting where they provide background on company. Scheduled an interview for the next day. The interview was a 1-1 interview (behavioral). the process after that takes awhile. I didn't hear back until 2 months later.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you witnessed an employee doing something unsafe. What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

The interviewer was not very organized and the interview itself did not have a format like most companies have. I was essentially a description of the job and asked me if I had any questions. The interview was quick but it was mainly me asking questions to keep the interview going. After the interview was done, the interviewer was very hard to get in touch with and did not do what he said he was going to do. We scheduled meeting days and the interviewer would not show up and would not answer emails or phone calls. Overall a disappointing experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Union Pacific? Will you be willing to relocate?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific in September 2013.

Interview

Online application, followed by two interviews. First interview was at a hotel with a mix of current employees and new applicants. Two written tests and a personality assessment along with the first actual interview. Fairly standard interview questions,emphasis on safety and leadership, highlight these experiences if you have them. Whole process was about a half a day or so. Second interview was at the regional he, more intimate with a panel of six people or so, made up of the regional Vice President, HR director, and some other high up folks.

Interview Questions

• Nothing way outside the box, be prepared to answer situational questions about leadership and safety   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate, they have a cap, even if you are experienced, however, the money comes later.they send you an offer letter if they want you and you either accept or decline.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

One interview at school, invited to interview in Omaha, but declined.

Interview Questions

• Must take a required skills/knowledge test during interview   Answer Question

Too much travel

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

Be sure to tailor your resume appropriately. If your resume is adequate you will receive an invitation to attend a hiring event. Click on the invitation and select the date and location where you wish to attend. If you get through that interview you will be called for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Prepare at least 5 unique facts about yourself and 5 unique facts about the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Roseville, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Process:
    - Apply at career fair with handing in a resume'
    - Attend information night to solidify interest
    - 1:1 interview with HR manager of local office (STAR method required, all "tell me about a time when...")
    - Management test, 4 hours, easy
    - 2nd interview (not had yet)
    - projected offer

Interview Questions

• How did you gain approval from a team you were a part of?
      What was your biggest mistake?
      Define Leadership.   Answer Question