Union Pacific Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Union Pacific Operations Manager Interview Questions

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

I applied through university. I then attended the career fair and was told to attend a meeting where they provide background on company. Scheduled an interview for the next day. The interview was a 1-1 interview (behavioral). the process after that takes awhile. I didn't hear back until 2 months later.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you witnessed an employee doing something unsafe. What did you do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Corvallis, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

It went well, it was a phone interview and conducted professionally. I never heard anything back from them however. I did not follow up after the interview because there was more moving than I was comfortable with but it was still rather unexpected to not even receive an email with a thank you but no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Roseville, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Process:
    - Apply at career fair with handing in a resume'
    - Attend information night to solidify interest
    - 1:1 interview with HR manager of local office (STAR method required, all "tell me about a time when...")
    - Management test, 4 hours, easy
    - 2nd interview (not had yet)
    - projected offer

Interview Questions

• How did you gain approval from a team you were a part of?
      What was your biggest mistake?
      Define Leadership.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

The interviewer was not very organized and the interview itself did not have a format like most companies have. I was essentially a description of the job and asked me if I had any questions. The interview was quick but it was mainly me asking questions to keep the interview going. After the interview was done, the interviewer was very hard to get in touch with and did not do what he said he was going to do. We scheduled meeting days and the interviewer would not show up and would not answer emails or phone calls. Overall a disappointing experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Union Pacific? Will you be willing to relocate?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

Be sure to tailor your resume appropriately. If your resume is adequate you will receive an invitation to attend a hiring event. Click on the invitation and select the date and location where you wish to attend. If you get through that interview you will be called for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Prepare at least 5 unique facts about yourself and 5 unique facts about the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (San Antonio, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview was more like a conversation, the only weird thing was how they rate you right in front of you. Overall, the interviewer was friendly. Also, the questionnaire packets that you have to fill out take at least 4 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Little Rock, AR) in October 2011.

Interview

Applied via website - received e-mail and follow-up robocall when scheduled for interview. Onsite interviewers were professional, friendly, and informative. I realized quickly that I had asked for too much money and been too inflexible on start dates (items which cannot be changed after application is submitted) Tests given on that date were fairly simple and interview was friendly, two interviewers, one asking questions and one taking notes.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an experience you had which involved a safety issue   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2011.

Interview

It all starts with information session on company culture, and what company does. After that you interview with a local recruitment manager, if selected you get invited to a company regional office to panel interview with regional officers where decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Describe a decision you made that was unpopular and how you handled implementing it.   Answer Question
    • Have you had to convince a team to work on a project they weren't thrilled about? How did you do it?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2012.

Interview

The interview was straight forward, they asked you where you would want to work like what specific region in the US. They ask about your interest in working for Union Pacific and if you're willing to spend a lot of time working. I thought I had nailed the interview because they call me back to do a series of test that included a personality test, management test and verbal reasoning test. I received an email later letting me know that I had passed the test, but a week later was sent another email saying "thank you for applying but at this time we are reviewing other applicants". I don't know what I did wrong but I guess the recruiter didn't like me very much.

Interview Questions

• If you're managing a group of people and they are working on something important and you get a call asking you to work on something else right away what would you do to accommodate this new task?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific in January 2012.

Interview

We met in a room allotted by the Baton Rouge Career services center. The day went as follows:

We were greeted by the HR Rep who gave an introduction of the company, what to expect, stressed the importance of safety and even more the fact to be prepared to spend long hours at work with little free time. The railroad is a demanding and challenging career. He then gave us a little background of himself which was interesting and inspiring in the fact that the company gives the impression that it likes to promote within. With this said, he stated that the average age for UP workers is 56 and that UP expects up to 1/3 of its workers to retire in the next 5 years. After all of this, we prepared for a series of tests. The first one was a 5 minute verbal reasoning test. It is not difficult but you have the added pressure to answer a few questions that require a quick read in a short period of time. Basically, you are presented with a series of short statements. Based on those statements some conclusions are drawn that you have to answer with either True, False or Not enough information. The second test was an hour long of simple business management questions. Most of the questions revolved around analyzing a graph and answering the questions. A few fairly simple analogy questions. The final two test were basically personality questions. One primarily revolved around your work/ school experience. The last test and the most time consuming was a series of 248 questions that asks you answer statements strongly disagree, disagree, unsure, agree or strongly agree. The focus of this test it looks like is to determine your personal character as well how consistent you are with your answers as many of the questions are the same just reworded differently. During this stage of the final two exams the HR Rep plucked us out individually at half hour intervals for one on interviews. The interview was seemingly basic. No off the wall questions. More or less why should UP hire you? Describe a time that you overcame a challenge? How do you handle disruptive coworkers?

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to overcome a particular challenge?   Answer Question