Union Pacific Train Crew Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Roseville, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

It is straight forward interview. It's tailored to you specifically mostly. They asked a lot of questions concerning safety. They very big on it. Most questions are about that. They ask questions about judgements and decisions. Ask how you will handle balancing railroad and life.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw someone doing something unsafe?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Anonymous Employee in Hermiston, OR

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Hermiston, OR) in April 2017.

Interview

Really relaxed and willing to answer all questions that you have. Completely goes into detail about the job and telling everyone that it is not for everyone and if you are worried about Home life to job ratio don't apply for this job will not be home that much.

Interview Questions

• IF you catch a person doing a safety violation, what do you do?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE).

Interview

Laid back and hiring managers were fairly easy going and easy to get along with. Overall a cut and dry interview process. Just be honest that's what I did and I believe that's what got me the job

Interview Questions

• How will you handle working in the cold/ heat   1 Answer

Negotiation

Quick and painless

Train Crew Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

I applied for the position online in January and it was a slow process. After a few months I was asked to take an online battery test, after I passed this test I was invited to a hiring session in April.

Interview Questions

• What does safety mean to you?   1 Answer

Train Crew Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

so i drove to hermiston oregon from portland to interview for train crew the recruiter was very informative but if you have been fired from a job within two years of of this interview do not go i did not click the box that i had been fired within two years i asked him 15 minutes after being in class he said i would be fine so i came back for my interview at noon he starts asking me questions and i get to this particular job and he says that i falsafied a legal doc. i didnt really care but it was more upsetting that he acted shocked when i had asked him in the morning but make sure your work dates for other job are spot on because they check this by the UP police department and i will be honest my dates were rough not exact so be sure to be precise and honest on your application and double check i spent 500 dollars to go to this interview anessentiallscrewed it

Train Crew Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific in May 2015.

Interview

You have a two hour information briefing and then a 15 minute straight forward interview. Come in business causual, well groomed. Take notes and don't be late. Was choosen as an alternate.

Interview Questions

• What are some job responsibilities of train crew?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Kansas City, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

Very boring but educative. the stated he pros and cons of the company was discussed and the essence of safety on the job wa really emphasised. also it was clearly stated that the company has zero tolerance for drugs and alcoholic, Also the benefits of working for the company was well echoed.

Interview Questions

• past experience in your former jobs and what you know about the job   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rawlins, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Rawlins, WY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Completed online test.

3 days later invited to a hiring session. Could choose following week, or three weeks later.

Attended hiring session. You're told dress is business casual. I was surprised at how many people wore cruddy, dirty, non-business clothes. UP says to wear business casual, so I recommend you do so. Wikipedia states business casual (in part): "Includes khaki pants, slacks, and skirts, as well as short-sleeved polo shirts and long-sleeved shirts, but excludes, tennis shoes, tight or short skirts, t-shirts, and sweatshirts" I'm sure everybody has heard, "you never get a chance at another first impression." It's true.

Along the same lines, remember that the person conducting the hiring session works for HR, and will be doing the interview. So don't say or do anything you wouldn't do in the hiring session you wouldn't do in an interview.

In my session, the HR person made a very good point. If you move on, you'll be drug tested. It's a DOT test, so if you fail, DOT will keep that in their database and you'll never work in a transportation job. So get clean before applying/moving on. As a side note, if you take prescription medication that will show up on your drug test, (I do), don't worry. The lab will call you when the results are in. As long as you can supply documents from the pharmacy indicating you were prescribed the meds (prescribed BEFORE the drug test), you'll be fine (I was).

The hiring session lasts all day, so be prepared to wait. I'd bring along a snack/lunch (which is leave in the car until you are dismissed from the session to wait for your interview), and something to drink.

Interview only lasted about 10 minutes. As addressed many times in these posts: Focus on safety. When you answer a question about safety, provide an example of something you did safely that could have gone the other way. They are correct to say you don't need experience. I've never worked around heavy machinery, and that was a question. I said so; ADDING something to the effect that I knew how dangerous it could be, and I understood how important SAFETY is when working around heavy machinery. They asked what the most time I've been away from my family for, if I had worked shift work, what I thought the expectations of the job were (they give you the answer in the hiring session), and a time when I had a conflict with a supervisor.

Having been on the other side if the table conducting interviews, my advice would be to always add something to an answer - don't just say yes/no. For example, if you've never worked shift work, don't just answer "no." Say something (ONLY IF TRUE - DONT LIE OR EXAGGERATE) like, "No, but I understand the commitment. My family supports me and understands what shift work entails, and I've looked up the importance of sleep hygiene, proper eating, and exercise when working shift work. I'm confident shift work won't be a barrier."

Frankly, the interview was so fast and easy, I was surprised I received an offer. I didn't see how they could compare all the applicants. But they did.

Although not part of the interview, I'd like to add something that I worried about in hopes it sets some people at ease I'm older, and my body has been through a lot (TEN orthopedic surgeries on my knees, shoulder, elbow and wrist. I played hard when I was younger!). As long as you can do the job, and you can pass the physical agility, you'll be fine. I was also very worried because I take meds for depression and ADHD. Many, many people are. Just be 100% honest. I thought I'd be disqualified because of it. It raised a big red flag during the medical review. But they asked for my medical records. I had them sent, and it wasn't a problem. I don't know what they look for, but I'd guess they want to know if you're stabilized on meds (I am), or if you're suicidal and will jump in front of a train the first chance you get (I'm not). I can say that I'm proof It's true they just want somebody who is qualified and can physically do the job safely. They didn't discriminate, or toss me aside for a younger, healthier person. Of course, if you're young and healthy - you're in easily!

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict you've had with a supervisor/coworker, and what you did to resolve it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Pay is set by union contract.

Train Crew Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Pacific in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted via email to take a reading comprehension test a few days after applying. I was contacted a couple weeks later notifying that I had been invited to a hiring session. I had a choice of possible dates for which hiring session I wanted to attend (though, all sessions fell within the same week). The day after the hiring session I was notified by phone and email that I had been offered the position.

*Prior to attending the hiring session, I had applied for a handful of Train Crew positions in a variety of locations. I was also invited and declined invitation to a couple other hiring sessions previous to the one which I did attend. Don't feel as though if you decline an invitation to a hiring session you will not be considered to other positions. However, keep in mind UP doesn't have system wide seniority, instead they are broken into service units which you cannot transfer from one region to another, so only apply for positions in areas you are willing to work.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a disagreement with a supervisor.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw a coworker breaking the rules?   Answer Question

Not willing to commit to being on-call 24/7/365!

Train Crew Interview

Interview

Safety checklist first, then a short company video before an information session. 1 HR manager and an Engineer -> Manager for UP attended. Make sure you know the job - the lifestyle of Train Crew - before you go. Dress professionally and ready for an interview, but also look like you're ready to work on the line. You'll be dismissed to a waiting area and then they'll call you back for your individual interviews (by last name... be prepared to wait). Safety, Safety, SAFETY. Experience really doesn't matter, safety is above all. Can you be safe? Good. Do you like being safe? Good.

Lifestyle