United Airlines Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

243 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Had a 30 minute phone screen with a recruiter to go over job role, background, salary, etc. on-site interview with hiring manager and it consisted of behavioral interview questions that lasted 1 hour.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

They used Hirevue for the interview. They have questions appear on the screen and then you answer them on video. take the practice questions to get used to the format. also, get in a well lit area and make sure you look like a flight attendant. the interview takes about 15 minutes. They asked 'What is a misconception that customers and coworkers have of you. - 'they think i never have a bad day because I'm always in a good mood, when actually i have bad days just like everyone else.' Keep your answers positive. You want them to see all the good that you have to offer. They asked 'Why do you want to be a flight attendant' - They know you want to travel. Thats also what everyone says... Stand out with a unique reason for wanting this job. 'I love people and have a passion for service. I love adventure and enjoy being able to blah blah blah.' The video interview was like 5 questions, the final one was 'tell us everything you know about united airlines.' They want to see if you are looking for a job or investing in a career. I memorized the wiki page on united. I answered with 'I know that you have hubs in Guam, Tokyo, NYC, DC, Houston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, San Fransisco and LA. I know you are the largest employee owned company in the world. I know that you started in the 1920s as a crop dusting company. I know that you have merged and absorbed tons of airlines over the years including Wisconsin air, Arizona air and most recently continental. I know that you are the largest airline in the world with over 370 destinations. I know you are a founding member of the star alliance with 26 other airlines. (a few other facts) and i finished with 'i know your employees are happy.' I finished the interview and thought i did mediocre of a few of the questions, but felt good about the others. wasn't sure if id hear back.

Got to the willis tower at 8:20am (interview was at 9) made sure i know where i was going, etc. don't me late and get there w enough time to find your way around. there was other candidates hanging out in the lobby so i hung by them. jumped into conversation and they were amazing. Everyone there is wanting to do a good job, so they are all friendly. mix and mingle. it brings the nerves down. We went up and checked in. bring your resume. gave them the resumes, dropped bags and went into a conf room with about 25 people. They talked pay, hours and schedule, location. were all going to san fran right now. and gave time for questions. prepare a question or two. They called us one by one out of the group for our face to face private interview. I was called second our of 25, which was awesome! Got into the room with the nicest 4 people I've ever met. They were so amazing. The lady who was conducting my interview was incredible. I wish she was my mom. They want you to be your best, so they make the interview very calm and friendly. They had me read an announcement that was written on a piece of paper. They don't want you to read it, they want you to perform it. Read it the way the flight attendant on your last flight read it. Then they asked 6 questions.

The last question they say 'were gonna step out of the room for 30 seconds, think of 3 reasons why you would be a good fit.' They asked me to attend another interview with some of the higher-ups in the company. i came back at 12:45 and went into the conf room. There were 5 of us now. I found out then that we had another face to face interview, not a group deal where they offer us jobs. So i sat and talked with the other 4 candidates, got called into the meeting and sat with 3 gentlemen. They said 'the hard part is over, we just wanna get to know you a little better.' They asked me 'Why united over other airlines' I told them 'They are the largest, meaning that they have strong leadership and vision. I want to be part of something great, something i can give my life to. They went from a crop dusting company to the largest airline on earth. that says something. 2. everything I've read, people I've spoken with, say that the employees love united. blah blah.' They asked about my customer service philosophy. I told them that customer service and keeping customers happy is a means to an end. the end goal is making them loyal return customers. My philosophy is to do what it takes to make them continue to choose United. one of my references is a flight attendant, they asked me what he has told me about actually being a flight attendant. i told them he said its great and amazing and awesome, etc. then they sent me out of the room for 2 minutes, talked and called me back in. They asked me if i had any visible tattoos, which i do, and i told them that the policy states that they have to be covered, but are ok. and i have them, but they are not able to be seen. They then told me that id hear in 5-7 days if i was being invited to attend training. training is 5 weeks long and you aren't an official employee until you pass.

Interview Questions

• name a time you had a problem with a customer, what'd you do?   6 Answers
    • name a time when you had an issue with a coworker. how did you handle it, what was the outcome.   2 Answers
    • They asked if I was the lead FA and one of my crew didn't want to do their job, how would i handle it.   1 Answer
    • Name 3 reasons you are the fit for this job   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   7 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Submitted my online application and it was accepted. Looking to better prepare myself for the online interview for bilingual speakers. Would like to be successful in the interview process.

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone screen, phone interview, and an in-person interview with four parts: three behavioral rounds and an online quantitative test. There was also an opportunity to meet some younger analysts to discuss the role outside of an interview setting.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest threats to United and the airline industry today?
      If you could open a new route to United's network, where would it be and why?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Behavorial based interview involving questions like "Tell me about a time when...". Some of the questions were pretty specific and not like the typical behavioral questions you would expect.

I did not have to go through a phone interview or 2nd in-person interview. Just one in-person interview and an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you implemented a cost effective solution to increase productivity?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision - how did you explain your decision to your employees and your customers?   Answer Question

Ramp Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Interview

Interview went great. First a phone, then set a date for group interview which was actually a one on one with a recruiter. If you passed that,they walked you out,said congratulations for the premployment offer then sent you to a different room to talk to a recruiter who gave you a packet and set up dates with for all medical tests and fingerprinting to get done. The thing with medical was hearing,vision,drug and physical test. This was where the issue was with me. After everything was completed I get a call 3 days later saying I failed the physical test even though I passed everything else. This mind you is done by a third party health company and United does not get the results why. Just a pass/fail. Even the guy doing the test said I should get the job and most likely passed. I was stunned because one this was an easy test,two I did the same job for a different airline for four years prior with zero issues. A ramp employee should be tested on if they can lift the required pounds and not a muscle resistance or PCE chair test,see and hear. I firmly believe it's because of my size and weight that I was not hired. This company is fishy. I can't believe they allow a third party to tell them one is not capable of handling a job they physically have done for four years prior and never have I ever failed a physical test for a company. Way to destroy a person's dream company to work for. I'll keep trying mind you but the process as far as testing goes needs to change. So if you don't pass any of the premployment tests your offer right away gets rescinded even though you're capable of doing the job. Can't even go to your own physician to say hey the person is capable.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Three rounds of interviews, one case study, one Excel test. The entire process took 4 weeks from initial contact to offer. They changed the dates/times of interviews a few times, which was challenging.

Interview Questions

• Case study about the telecom industry - asking market sizing, business models and marketing questions specifically   Answer Question

UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I got a call from the recruiter to schedule an in-person interview, I interviewed with the design team. Two weeks afterward I followed up with the recruiter, she said the team will let me know once they made a decision. I followed up with the hiring manager but never heard back from them. It seems very disrespectful since I spent time preparing for the interview and took time off for the onsite interview.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Panel interview with three leaders was stressful and challenging but a more thorough interview method than single one on one interviews conducted multiple times. The interview was scheduled only once.

Interview Questions

• How I would handle certain situations   1 Answer

Business Systems Analyst (Mentor) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

It was very quick. I got an interview call a couple days after the submission of my resume. The phone interview was not very long. In the phone interview, they started by telling me the overview of the project and

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself.   1 Answer
    • How would you measure the employee's knowledge retention after the training?   Answer Question