United Airlines Interview Questions in Newark, NJ | Glassdoor

United Airlines Interview Questions in Newark, NJ

Updated Oct 15, 2017

211 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very structured. I applied online and within a week I received an invitation to complete an OnDemand interview via HireVue. Suggestions for HireVue: Be in a well-lit area. My suggestion is to use as much natural lighting as possible. Be well-dressed. Research the company and see how the flight attendants dress for the particular company, and emulate that! The HireVue questions were behavioral questions. Everything I read on GlassDoor has been accurate! Within 4 days, I received an email inviting me to Newark, NJ for a Face-to-Face interview. I was beyond excited! When you call, the booking department will ask you the closest airport. I told her mine, and the flight is free, but please be aware you are usually not a "must-ride" passenger in instances like this. My case, I get to my closest airport with plenty of time to spare. The plane begins boarding. I board the plane and am in my seat. A gentleman from United walks on the plane and calls my name and says the flight is overbooked and I had to get off. I take my carry-on and exit the plane. I was a little stressed at this point. I go inside and wait for the counter to clear so I could talk to the desk agent, and they said the next flight leaves at 10pm (which I would have gotten to Newark at 11 ish), or you can go to another nearby airport and the plane departs in two hours! For a moment, I began to panic thinking I am never going to make it. I was not extremely familiar with the DC Metro stations, nor the other airport. However, I thought to myself, this is all part of the interview...staying cool, calm, and collected during a crisis! I managed to hustle through the DC Metro stops and navigate around. Got to my other airport and through security with about 10 minutes to spare! At this point, I was joking around the gate agent because of the mental meltdown I was having haha! I get on the plane and fly to Newark. Check-in to my hotel. The morning of the interview! Newark is an extremely busy airport! Give yourself plenty of time to get the gate pass and get through security--you do NOT want to be late. I was there a little after 7 and was seated with fellow interviewees by 8 (luckily)! Get to know your fellow applicants! Everyone is nervous, everyone is going through the same thing. Talk, be jolly, and have fun. It helps ease the nerves. Exactly at 9 am, the Inflight Recruiters came to get us! We went to the United building and were checked in. We were all briefed on United and they called the first 6 for interviews. While the others are in the interview, talk and be jolly with the other applicants. Take your mind to a less stressful place, but review some questions and answers in your head, too! My name was called, and I was nervous! The lady who did my one-on-one interview was nice, genuine. The interview was by far the best experience I have ever had! This one took about 45 minutes and it was basic behavioral questions, if/then questions, and we reviewed my resume. We were finished and we walk to the hall (I assumed I was finished), she said, I actually want my colleagues to meet you, so I am going to put you in this room with a few other applicants. I felt good! Talked to the few others in the room with me and they slowly leaving for the second interview. My name was called again and the ladies were nice and genuine again. I went to a very small room with them and they asked me basically the same questions. They said they had to step out and review a few things on my resume and they would be back. I sat in the room and about 5 minutes later, they walked through the door and said, "after reviewing you resume and answers, we have enough information to offer you the job today." Of course, I accepted the offer! The offer is contingent on drug, vision, and hearing tests, as well as passing the training! I leave for training August 30! They took me to the clinic onsite and I completed my drug, hearing, and vision tests!

Some good things to remember: SMILE, POSTURE, CONFIDENCE, RESEARCH THE COMPANY, PRACTICE QUESTIONS WITH ANSWERS! Browse through this site and read the questions other people were asked--it helped me tremendously! Research the company! Know the company! They want someone who can be invested into the company! Be confident!

Good luck! It was an incredible experience and I cannot wait to begin my new life in the air!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for FA for 2018. I received an email for a video interview on September 5 and submitted my video interview about two hours after I got the email. I think I did fairly good was nervous and felt like I answered each question quickly (about a minute a question) I hope I did good just waiting to hear back to see if I get a F2F interview.
    Was wondering if anyone has received an email for a F2F yet?!

Please let me know!

Interview Questions

• Wish I looked at Glassdoor before I did my interview every question was on here!   2 Answers

Application

Interview

I applied online, then had to take a video interview, the video took about 10 minutes. I'd express making a cheat sheet for yourself so you don't fumble your thoughts. the next interview was in person.

Interview Questions

• What's qualifications and skills in past jobs qualifies you to be a flight attendant   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ).

Interview

after applying, you receive an email giving you a choice of days and times to take your face to face interview. I took the first day and first time available on that day. about 30 mins process. got an email inviting me to a class training in about 3 or 4 days.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of one time you went the extra mile for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

Very quick, initial briefing about the position then an interview with a current flight attendant with general questions and previous specific ones. After the process, they escort you to a waiting area to depart. You will receive an email with the details if you passed the interview for hire date and class start.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were on a flight and you had to tell a passenger that they would not arrive on time to their destination.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ).

Interview

Tough time from the start, 1st recruiter called and said that someone will call me for a face to face interview. Which never happened, I followed up and that man was fired. Eventually got my in person interview. Then I failed my background check because their staffing agency didn't receive all my information (which i sent via email) Then I tried to reach out to United and have yet to receive a call back. So therefore I was denied the job.

Transportation Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was 2-3 hours because they gave me a tour of the building and a description of the job requirements when I sat down for my one on one I was nervous but the manager made me at ease and it went smoothly he was over happy

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to do problem solving and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, was asked several questions such as are you willing to work weekends and holidays. Instructed be the starting salary and whether it was acceptable. Then told me to keep checking my email because he was forwarding my status to the hiring manager in Newark.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work flexible hours?   33 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied around early February and received an invitation for a video interview within 4 days. The video interview consisted of 6 questions, all of which were found here on glassdoor, so if you study all the questions here you'll be set. They are looking for answers that convey your style of customer service, so the more specific you can get with your examples the better. Don't be afraid of being yourself, be genuine and have fun with the questions. Make sure you make eye contact with your webcam instead of looking at yourself on the screen, and of course wear your best smile.
    You have 5 days to complete the video interview, I did mine on the 4th day, so don't worry about taking your time in being prepared.

Within another 4 days I received a invitation for a face to face interview at their Newark hub where I met other wonderful interviewees. This is a great opportunity for you to sooth your nerves, break some ice with everyone.The recruiting team came to greet us 9am right on the dot. One of them told me at the end that from the moment they come to greet you, they are accessing you. Minute details like how you are engaged with the other interviewees to how you greet the recruiters back, all are taken into account in your assessment.

After being brought into a secure area we were given a short orientation about being a flight attendant and then had a Q&A, I would suggest you prepare some questions that show that you did some research; it's okay to even already know the answers to your questions, it's the thought and participation that counts.

Once that was over we were then each paired with a single interviewer and led to a room where all the interviews were being held. Imagine cubicles, but with a single table with a seat at each end. All the interviewers were super nice and passionate about the industry. You could feel their passion leaking out of them as they spoke. Many of the questions they asked were situation based, what would you do kind of scenarios. Expect a question along the lines of "pretend I am a belligerent customer that refuses to put away my laptop, what would you say to me?". If you have experience in customer service or hospitality in general, you'll be fine.

When the one on one interview concluded all the interviewees were culled back together in a room. And from that room you will be plucked for a final one on one interview with some higher up HR people. This time it will be just 1 person interviewing everyone in the group one on one, so it's going to take longer, much longer. So sit back and rant with your fellow interviewees, blow off some of those nerves that you've accumulated throughout the day.

The second and final interview, I must say is the hardest. Not just because at this point I had already expended what little energy I had left, but also the interviewer was a bit more stern and intimidating. Questions I was asked were more technical stuff like whether or not I had any visible tattoos, my willingness to relocate, and some nitpicking at my resume and length of my hospitality experience. Emphasis on the willingness to relocate, I was asked a scenario like what would I do, how would i feel if i had to relocate to the SFO base, where the cost of living was very high. I answered with "pfffft please, i live in nyc, i know how to live like a starving artist" ; no just kidding i didn't say that, but just sound like your definitely willing to relocate and your flexible, also tell them how you would go about the living situation. something like "yeah no problem i can just share a rundown apartment with 4 other flight attendants".

From there, the two interviewers left the room briefly, for about 3 minutes. In those 3 minutes i told myself "aw crap I messed up, welp time to apply to another airline". That quickly became "seriously?!?" when they came back in and gave me the conditional job offer. So I shook their hands with my mouth still agape and will be attending the 6 week training at the end of this month.
    You quickly get shoved into another room right after and sign a bunch of paperwork and then a round of congratulations from all the other recruiting people that greeted and ferried you around. And then the drug test right after that where you will see your other fellow interviewees that passed. You will reflect on your crazy day and laugh as you pee into a cup for the urine test. From there you can collect the numbers of your fellow trainees and then go home with a smile, or fall asleep from the exhaustion like I did. All in all it was a great experience, really enjoyed the level of energy from everyone.

Interview Questions

• Tell us why you'd be a good flight attendant?   9 Answers
    • Tell us about a time when you went above and beyond a customers expectation.   2 Answers
    • Tell us about a time where you wished you had done something differently.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

Passed video interview, got invited to face-to-face interview. The day of the face-to-face interview, I got to the airport at 7:40am cause the interview started at 9:00am SHARP and you had to get a GATE PASS and go through TSA. Once I got in to the waiting spot, I got to know everyone else. Then, at 9:00am SHARP, some FA and Recruiters came to pick us up an take us to the place where we were going to get interview. Once we settled in a conference or meeting room, we get introductions and a presentation. After that, we have to wait to be called. So, yeah, we got called ONE-BY-ONE. Advice: chill, talk, practice with others and, well, chill, cause I got out of the interview around 1:00pm. Oh, yeah, have breakfast. You will experience how starvation begins. So, break-fast! Anyways, I was finally called and walked into another room to be interview. By that time, I wasn't nervous anymore. I really felt very comfortable with the person who was interviewing me. It was a really good dynamic. I was encouraged to give my answers more details and certain specifics because I kind of forgot my S.T.A.R. Method! But, oh well, I gathered my thoughts, owned the S.T.A.R. Method and continue to answer, well, most likely story-telling. Oh! There was a part were we role played. I read an announcement out loud and then "deal" with a passenger who wasn't cooperating.

About the questions I was asked, were mostly about my customer experience through the different jobs I had presented on my resume. Every question was made according to what was on my resume. "So, you were a cashier in this company, tell me about your roles?" Many questions where about "how did it happened and what did you do?", "how did you handle it?" , etc.

Do story tell, but use the S.T.A.R. Method to keep your answers organized. Be honest. Don't worry about taking SOME time to think about it. If you don't understand, please ask and clear your doubts, and so. Before hand the interview, prepare with your resume and cover letter on sight, write down experiences, stories, skills and/or knowledge you have acquired, write down your values, highlight what you understand they should know about you and how that favors the company, understand the role(s) of a flight attendant, learn about the company (especially it's mission and vision), and prepare for the unexpected. BE HONEST.

Oh, and, yeah, after the first interview I was told to wait on another room because someone else was going to interview me. Turns out minutes later, it was a Flight Attendant who also had the role of Recruiter with someone of Human Resources. They asked me more personal and behavioral questions. Personal in sense of why? are you sure? what do you think about this and that? how do you feel?

Interview Questions

• Describe and explain your roles and responsibilities within the previous company you worked for.   Answer Question
    • How do you think such roles, responsibilities and experiences at that particular job has equipped you to be a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed and how you disagreed with your coworkers or teammates.   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had difficulties with your coworker? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when it was hard to remain friendly.

To be, let's say, the perfect flight attendant, what aspect of your personality or character you need to discard or work on?   Answer Question