United Shore Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Shore (Troy, MI) in June 2018.

Interview

Had a current employee send in my resume. After it was turned in, a phone interview was scheduled within a week. Following that, an in person interview was set up for after the weekend. Overall took 2 weeks. Was not sent an offer until after my background check was cleared.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Jun 29, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for sharing this feedback! We put our best foot forward to try to make each interview experience a positive one, and we are glad to hear this was the case for you! Happy to hear you... More

Assistant Vice President Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United Shore (Troy, MI) in January 2018.

Interview

The company has done an effective job employing the 'Quicken loans' effect -- creating a nearly cult-like culture and obsession around the idea of company culture. They meticulously curate their online/social feeds, ensuring that posts make United Share seem like a youthful, dynamic, and energizing employer.

The initial impressions of their headquarters and recruiting team actually lived up to expectations and was overwhelmingly positive. Upon entrance, you are ushered into a clean and minimal waiting/reception area -- the woman here was incredibly kind, courteous, and happy to answer general questions about the company and values. I truly enjoyed this portion, and the subsequent tour given by the lead recruiter (who was equally as impressive). The same cannot be said for their senior Marketing leadership. I found them to be (off the bat) dismissive, disinterested, and not engaged in the interview process. I met with two leaders (one is the current CMO), she was attentive but incredibly vague as to my questions around what they were looking for in the prospective role, including: what the day-to-day responsibilities would entail, and how they would measure success or efficacy in this role. When asked about process, they essentially acknowledged that the business model had worked so well over the past few years, that marketing had by-and-large been an afterthought at the company. In short, they were either unable or unwilling to actually dive deep on what was driving the hiring decision and what they were looking for in the ideal candidate.

The other 'interviewer' spent half the time on her phone checking email, and the other half looking down at the ground and frowning. If I had to give a percentage of time she spent maintaining eye contact and engaging with me, it would honestly be <5%. I left totally confused, given the sharp contrast between the kindness and sincerity of the recruiting/administrative teams, and the passive, closed-off Senior Marketing leadership.

I mentioned afterward to family that I believed I dodged a bullet in not considering or being extended an offer here. Thanks but no thanks!

Interview Questions

• General questions around Search engine marketing, associated accreditations, and the like   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United Shore in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a "Sr. Talent Acquisition Specialist" he initially asked some pre-screening questions. Difference between Interface and Abstract class, do you participate in any programming events, what was the most difficult thing to learn about programming. They then had me in for a in-person interview with two people.

They had amazing kitchens, cafeterias, and workout centers. Oh, and valet parking. They actually frowned when I said "valet parking wasn't me" But why became pretty clear. Their benefits were some of the worst I have seen. Little vacation, a few holidays, and $2,500 max toward retirement (do not expect to retire in your lifetime on that little of saving). To me it looked like they spent all the money on getting you to stay there long hours. They certainly picked up on my feelings because I was not offered anything.

After the interview they took me on a tour. The spaces were wide open and colorful cubicle farms. It was a little strange as everyone was always smiling and greeting. It almost seemed staged or they really did only hire people who love this type of atmosphere.

I feel this would be a great place for a college student or beginning programmer but probably not the best place for Senior level developers.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not difficult because they were feeling questions. Along the lines of "Do you think that... and explain why." They asked if a programmer should change an immutable class and why? Most of it was to gauge your personality. For me it was when they asked if I like to play games and proceeded to talk about the new gaming center being planned with Xbox's and Playstations.   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Shore (Troy, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by the in-house recruiter by phone. Was asked to come in for a face-to-face interview. Arrived there before the scheduled interview for a tour of the building. Very impressive. Everyone was friendly and all were smiling all the time. It's either a great place to work or it's a cult :) After the tour, I met with the head of the architecture team and one other person. I wasn't given much information about the team and what they do. Instead they asked me about my background and current projects. Then went into a series of technical questions. Most of which were textbook questions. Most I knew, some I didn't. Unfortunately, the only reason I didn't answer them exactly, is because I have been working in the real world for 15 years and haven't gone back to committing basic software development questions to memory. To be honest, all these questions could be memorized by someone with 2 years of experience in the field. There were no questions about real-world scenarios or problem solving based on specific situations. Would have liked to get more of those types of questions. Overall it was a pleasant experience and all parties involved were extremely friendly. Feedback was very quick. United Shore seems to be a great company.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an abstract class and an interface?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between an overloaded method and an overridden method?   Answer Question
    • What are the SOLID principles of Object Oriented development?   Answer Question
    • Why would you use an abstract class?   Answer Question
    • Describe Polymorphism, Abstraction, and Inheritance?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Shore in January 2018.

Interview

Apply online and schedule the phone appointment and received a message of out of space for internship 2018. And asking if you are interesting the internship next year. As result I did not get through the interview process at all.

Interview Questions

United Shore Response

Feb 2, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for your feedback. We do our best to provide every candidate with a great experience and look forward to hearing from you next year.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Shore (Troy, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied with an online application on their website, had a phone interview for about 30 minutes, was called for an in person interview within a week. Very nice on the phone and in person.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Shore (Troy, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Brief phone interview with a Recruiter I later discovered was a regular drug abuser. It was fairly obvious their approach was to farm from former Quicken Loans employees, thereby taking advantage of that company's superior training while championing a "40 hour work week" as a "Family Company". What that really meant was you have to work to filly 40 hours of work.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at United Shore (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2018.

Interview

Interview process was horrible. Extremely unprofessional and unorganized. The person assigned to interview me forgot that we had a scheduled interview TWICE and neglected to call me both times. Their offered pay was very low and judging by the reviews left on glassdoor, the pay was not worth the work. It looks like United Shore is a failing company that is desperate and is relying on hiring multiple interns (the interviewer said they are hiring 80-which was a big red flag in the first place) to keep their company alive. All-in-all a bad experience, and I have had 3 friends who interviewed with them and all had the same responses as I. 3 months after the interview they let me know that I was declined for the job position, and honestly I am glad. Very unorganized.

Interview Questions

United Shore Response

Feb 7, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the negative experience you had with our team, as we strive to provide all potential candidates with our undivided attention. We will use this... More

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Shore (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Been through four phases of interview. But never heard back from them. Whatever the result is they should at least inform yes or no.So that we can move on instead of ,,,,,

Server Administrator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pontiac, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United Shore (Pontiac, MI) in February 2019.

Interview

Interviewed with United Shore for a Systems Administrator II role in February 2019. Applied on a Thursday, had a phone screen on Friday, in-person interview Tuesday, and an offer a week after my initial phone screen. After what seemed to be a fairly typical interview (reviewing skills, troubleshooting, critical thinking), I was offered a Systems Administrator I position instead of the II I had interviewed for, and declined the offer.

Interview Questions

United Shore Response

Mar 6, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. While we’re pleased the interview process was quick, we are sorry to hear you did not receive an offer that met your expectations and wish you the best in... More

Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at United Shore (Birmingham, MI) in August 2012.

Interview

Chaotic, hurried, not impressive was shuffled from one office to another, one person to another. Interviewer had to find an unoccupied office to conduct the interview. Seemed rag tag and unprofessional.