United States Congress Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United States Congress Interview Questions

Updated Jan 13, 2018

2.5

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Congress.

Interview

I received two offers from two different members of congress, one from a member which I lived in the district for and one the district over. The member which represents my district did not require an interview or a recommendation letter, just a resume and cover letter, and I received an offer over the phone a few months later. The other congressman required 3 references and a phone interview. Interview was very easy and basic questions just about me and my background and interest in congress. Received an offer a few weeks later. It varies largely based on which office you want to work in and how popular they are. Members with more leadership roles have a more rigorous app process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this congressman?   Answer Question
    • Describe your past internship or work experiences. Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I submitted my resume and a cover letter, and several weeks later was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was relatively straightforward, but I think this varies based on the office you are applying for.

Anonymous Interview

Interview

Applied through email. Interview was over the phone, between 15-20 minutes. Took them a little over a week to get back to me. Many questions were directed at why that particular Congressman's office, so being knowledgeable on Committee assignments and the Congressman's projects or passions was very helpful.

Interview Questions

• What is one current policy you would want to see changed and why?   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Congress (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was asked about what issues I was passionate about, what about me would make me successful at this job, describe my favorite boss, salary expectations and proficiency in spanish

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with the Deputy Chief of Staff and the LA. It was about 25 minutes. The usual questions – tell me about yourself, what issues are most important to you, where do you see yourself in 5 years etc.

Intern House of Representatives Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

CV + letter of motivation + if possible letter of recommendation
    First call if you are not in DC or a meeting of you are in DC
    A second interview meeting at the Congress with 2 other staff members

Interview Questions

• Why working at the Congress ?
      Why this District ?
      What do you know about the District / about the Congressman ?
      What are your top qualities and defaults ?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at United States Congress.

Interview

Very short, simple. I was prepared and I did not have to answer many questions. They performed a background check and asked open-ended questions. I would totally do it again if I had to!

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview was very straight forward. I did mine via phone as I go to school far away. It was very basic as I was asked about my studies and interests and why I wanted to do this job. They asked about my interests in working there and what kind of things I was hoping to accomplish being there. They also asked me for reason I wanted to work for this congressmen and which of his person

Interview Questions

• What is your least favorite book and why?   1 Answer
    • What policy initiatives does the congressman support and why does this make you want to work for him?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was called on the phone and asked basic behavioral questions with a concentration in customer service. The woman was extremely nice and most of the questions were centered around "how would you act if a customer was angry" and "would you pass along confidential information". Using common sense and basic examples, I was able to pass the interview process. Had a very enjoyable internship experience!

Interview Questions

• How did you manage a difficult customer service situation?   Answer Question

Congressional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Congress (Kingston, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Subtle. The questions were directed towards my knowledge of government and willingness to help constituents. The interviewers wanted to make sure I was capable of taking criticism from constituents of our district while holding the congressman's reputation to a high standard.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to stay long hours in the office to fix a constituents problems?   1 Answer