United States Congress Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United States Congress Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2017

2.5

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at United States Congress.

Interview

Very short, simple. I was prepared and I did not have to answer many questions. They performed a background check and asked open-ended questions. I would totally do it again if I had to!

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Very brief phone interview, only 10 minutes. Basic questions, tell me about yourself and past experiences, tell me why you want to work for this congressman in particular. Thought the conversation felt flat and rehearsed but ended up getting an offer a month later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this congressman specifically?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about any past work or internship experience you have   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview was very straight forward. I did mine via phone as I go to school far away. It was very basic as I was asked about my studies and interests and why I wanted to do this job. They asked about my interests in working there and what kind of things I was hoping to accomplish being there. They also asked me for reason I wanted to work for this congressmen and which of his person

Interview Questions

• What is your least favorite book and why?   1 Answer
    • What policy initiatives does the congressman support and why does this make you want to work for him?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was called on the phone and asked basic behavioral questions with a concentration in customer service. The woman was extremely nice and most of the questions were centered around "how would you act if a customer was angry" and "would you pass along confidential information". Using common sense and basic examples, I was able to pass the interview process. Had a very enjoyable internship experience!

Interview Questions

• How did you manage a difficult customer service situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Congress (Kingston, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Subtle. The questions were directed towards my knowledge of government and willingness to help constituents. The interviewers wanted to make sure I was capable of taking criticism from constituents of our district while holding the congressman's reputation to a high standard.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to stay long hours in the office to fix a constituents problems?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United States Congress (Jacksonville, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

One of the staff in the office called me and I had a phone interview. Within three days I had a decision from the office and a confirmation that I got the internship.

Congressional Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at United States Congress.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter by email. Within a few days they followed up with a phone interview that lasted about half an hour. I received the offer a few days after that. It was fairly casual; the office I worked in was relaxed and friendly environment so it made sense the interview was more of a get to know you and your skills rather than an interrogation.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little bit about yourself, talk about an experience in which you were a leader and others followed your lead, what are your strengths and weaknesses, what policy areas interest you and why   Answer Question

Legislative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Fairly straightforward interview process. The Deputy CoS asked standard interview questions, while the outgoing LA asked me issue specific questions. Whatever your area of expertise is - foreign policy, education, defense, etc. - make sure you have your 30-second 'elevator speech' down pat. Pretend you're talking to the Congressperson and make sure you can demonstrate your knowledge and your ability to consolidate your knowledge to diverse audiences.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in foreign affairs?

Can you handle the hectic nature of working on the Hill?

Tell us about an experience where you had to balance the desires (opinions) of your employer with your own.
      Answer Question

Summer Congressional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at United States Congress (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

Sent application to Congressman via a University program. The intern coordinator contacted me for a phone interview that lasted a little less than fifteen minutes. A response was given via email later on that week. The application included a resume, cover letter, and two short essay questions. The questions asked were common to other interview questions, such as "Tell me about yourself" and "What experience do you have with..."

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with writing and how often is it used in your everyday coursework?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Congress (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Cov let and resume got me an interview, successful interview was key to landing the position. Overall the process was not very tough, though strong academic performance proved valuable. I was told that getting a position in Congress is all about earning the trust of the office, so if you can do that in the interview then you should have a decent shot.

Interview Questions

• Name 5 rules you would put in place for interns if you were the intern   Answer Question