United States House of Representatives Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United States House of Representatives Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2017

2.3

Staff Assistant Interview

Interview

Was a very short notice, mostly informal interview at first to discuss the position and the office, etc. The second interview was with the Member and the Chief of Staff and was a bit more formal but still relaxed. Both interviews were pretty short, and I was offered the job within 3 days.

Interview Questions

• Did I have experience answering phones and with other customer service skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Submitted an application online, received an email correspondence within a few days. Scheduled a phone interview and accepted an offer at the end of the call. It was a relatively quick process, all in all around a week between submitting an application and receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• How will previous work experience aid you in your daily tasks?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview

I applied online and was emailed regarding scheduling a phone interview roughly three weeks later. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and was very conversational. They wanted to know my political beliefs, personality, and general policy interests. I was then emailed my offer within the following two weeks.

Congressional Interview

Interview

Over the phone, talked a lot about values of government and the specific party. Very casual and extremely easy interview. Some behavioral questions and blah blah blah blah blah blah. It was about 20 minutes long maybe 30 and it felt like it went by quick. Most interviewers are kids in their early to mid 20s anyways and all the interviewees are usually college students.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview

The entire process was very casual. About five to ten questions and mostly asked me questions to learn about me as a person and whether I would fit into the office environment. Be prepared to answer questions concerning recent legislation and have a well-informed opinion.

Interview Questions

• Asked me what I knew about the Congressman and his views. Also asked my personal opinion on policies relevant to the district.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

Submitted cover letter, resume, three references, and answered multiple questions about my background and interest. Received an email several weeks later asking to set up a phone interview. Phone interview lasted around 15 minutes and was centered around why I wanted to work for the congressman, my interest in politics, and how my past experiences would help me in the internship (dealing with angry constituents).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation except for length of the internship. It was an unpaid.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application, cover letter, resume and writing sample online. The application asked what I was interested in learning through the internship. I was then contacted for a phone interview by email. I had a basic 20-30 minute interview over the phone. I heard back with a decision within a week and was given 2 days to accept the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Interview

After I submitted my resume, cover letter, and writing samples they brought me in for a face to face interview and asked some general questions about the Congressman and how I would handle calls.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an angry caller?   1 Answer

Legislative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview then accepted with a two week introductory period - essentially it differs office to office, but none is overly complex. Just be yourself and if they like you they will pull you on. INCREDIBLY COMPETITIVE, HOWEVER.

Interview Questions

• The all too generic greatest weakness question.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Relatively easy. Just required a cover letter, list of references, and onsite interview. Usually intern positions are incredibly difficult to obtain without connections with the office/district. Apply to the Congressman serving your district before any others--most Congressman won't accept interns out of district, especially for DC internships.