United States House of Representatives Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

2.4

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Washington, DC).

Interview

After volunteering in the office for several weeks I moved on to other opportunities. I was screened by phone several months later and then received an in person interview with the Chief of Staff.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with the idea that a lot of your work will be end up on the cutting room floor?   1 Answer

Legislative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview

Heard about the opening through word of mouth, sent in my resume and had an interview the following week. Was one of two finalists, but the other person got the offer. Overall not a bad interview, and a quick turnaround time from hearing about the opening to them filling the position.

Legislative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online the day the internship was posted. A friend referred me to the Legislative Director. I had a phone interview two days later. One week later I received a phone call offering me the internship. (NOTE: The first contact was with the Legislative Director, all subsequent contact was with the Legislative Correspondent.)

Interview Questions

• What policies has the Congressman sponsored or co-sponsored? Why this office? What are your skills/weaknesses? Do you live in the District?   Answer Question

Congressional Aide Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview

Great experience interviewing for congressional aide. It was very laid back and we had a wonderful two way conversation. Got to know each other and I heard back within a few hours. I got the job and started the next week. Fast and great interview.

Intern Interview

Interview

Quick 15 minute phone interview, which came a little over a week after the application deadline. Interview was very casual and over the phone, asked about my experience as a research assistant, why I wanted to work for this certain Representative, and if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current research and what the most interesting thing you've learned from this.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

Quick and easy, simple in-person interview. Tended to be more on the personality side, but did ask about capacity to work in fast-paced environment and work in a team.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back about a month later from the Intern coordinator. I interviewed over the phone, and the interview lasted about 30 minutes. I received an offer a week later. Fairly basic questions, and they were clear in when they would get back to me and what I was to expect from the internship.

District Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Applied online, got a call back, went in to district office for relatively short interview. Interview questions were pretty straight forward. The question about leadership stumped me a little bit but I think I answered it well in the end.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • Describe a a time when you took leadership/showed leadership abilities   1 Answer
    • How do you know the Congresswoman/Why do you want to work for this specific Congresswoman?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call to interview two weeks later. Interviewed and was selected after waiting two days. Not too challenging. Know about current events and issues and why you want to work at that certain office.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States House of Representatives (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Was asked about political views, problem solving, and basic political knowledge. Interview was between 20-40 minutes long. The interviewer gave me time to answer my questions fully and thoughtfully. Mostly basic political knowledge required, but also basic problem solving skills, which are situational based, were needed.