United States Steel Interview Questions in Gary, IN | Glassdoor

2.1

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in January 2017.

Interview

two phone interviews and then an on site interview, the day the onsite interview was scheduled was not a good day for the interviewees, wasn't able to meet with everyone. I wish HR would have known this.

Interview Questions

• What is the impression of US Steel in the community?   1 Answer

Employee Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from their HR rep about two weeks later. HR contacted me via email three days prior to phone interview. Interviewer was prompt, professional and prepared. I received an email one week later stating that they appreciated my interest but have decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience influencing other managers.   1 Answer

Utility Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview was interesting to put it mildly, I applied online, then was invited to take a test on general knowledge, then received an email, saying that I would receive a phone call to set up an on the phone interview, i was called the next day, and had the interview. Then another email with a list of dates for a formal interview at the plant. I chose one that i was off, and selected it, thinking it would be the last i heard from USS, until that date, I was wrong, about 4 days later, I was out with a few of my friends playing pool and drinking and my phone rings, I answer it and it was a manger from USS, He apologized for calling and asked if we could reschedule the interview for the nest day at 10 am. I of course accepted and hung up. Finished shooting pool and had 1 or 3 more drinks. So i show up to the interview slightly hungover, thinking this is going to be absolutely horrible, I was wrong. The manger named Bill who meet me in the waiting area told me to walk into one of the interview rooms, and he would meet me in there in a second, Bill walked almost instantly shook my hand and then stats staring contest starts now, at this point im confused, so i sit down and Bill and I are just staring across the table from each other for about three minutes, then bill laughs and says that's how he breaks the ice, and then again apologized for the reschedule ,thanked me for dressing up, even though i didn't have to, and then asked me about 25 questions, most of which he answered for me. Then asked me if i had any questions, which i did not i knew what i was getting into. He stood up, shook my hand and said he would be right back with in a few minutes, Bill walked back in about 5 minutes later and said he liked my interview, and I had another interview, Right down the hall. I walked into another room and within a few minutes a lady walked in and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me one time, your employer changed a safety rule that you did not agree with, that caused you an inconvenience?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

Three are usually several other interviewee at the same time. First interview is conducted on campus and lasts about 20 minutes. Questions are very easy and not technical. Within a week i received a call for on site interview. There were three interviews with employs and two HR interviews. All interview were really easy. Not a single technical questions. They are mostly want to confirm that you are alive and can speak.

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted of talking with 6 different people, done in batches of 2. So, there was three rounds of interviews, each lasting maybe half an hour. The questions were mostly behavior, describing situations and conflict resolution from previous experiences. Some of the questions were from a sheet of paper that the company had provided the interviewing panel with, but some were more just general inquires into my resume. After that, there was a tour of part of the steel plant, followed by a lunch at the plant's cafeteria. I accepted the offer while I was still in college and had set a start date after graduation. However, little did I know that US Steel was going to have financial problems to the extent that they kept pushing back my start date and finally rescinded the offer 9 months after I had accepted and 3 months after my original start date. I don't think I would accept an offer again given their business outlook.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when there was a disagreement in one of your projects and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Shift Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in August 2012.

Interview

very basic of resume review, then walk the floor. After that off to lunch with a little chit chat then you might get an offer. Most companies use the STAR interview method however this one did not.

Mechanical Engineering Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in April 2012.

Interview

Why do you want to work for the company?
    Tell me about yourself.

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview process was long, but thorough. I met with several managers who provided a realistic job preview. I met with approximately 4-5 managers, each in a one on one setting. The interview process was lengthy and lasted approximately several hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult employee?   1 Answer

Utility Person Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in May 2011.

Interview

Prett quick interview. When they need people they'll pretty much have you come in, ask brief questions about you, your work history, and go over the ins and outs of how work is when it vomes to shift work and pay.