United States Steel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United States Steel Interview Questions

Updated Jan 10, 2018

2.7

Utility Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online, completed and passed assessment test, went to in person interview all within 10 days.
    Felt the interview went great and was told I wireless would be receiving email with a few days and that the offer would be contingent based on passing physical, drug test and background check.
    I week has passed and still no email.

Interview Questions

• would you panic if you had to go on a computer to add entries to a data base?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a bit hectic, and it seemed rushed. There was no follow up after last phone screen.
    I was called in response to submitting my resume online via LinkedIn's job post and screened for about 5 minutes before being set up for a scheduled phone screen the following week with another HR contact. From there I was set up for a second phone interview with the HR Lead/Hiring Manager. I never heard back from both phone screens. Obviously, I wasn't selected but it would have been a great courtesy to communicate that to me after spending time learning about the company and the position.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have being a strategic partner to the general manager for a sales team?   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in January 2017.

Interview

two phone interviews and then an on site interview, the day the onsite interview was scheduled was not a good day for the interviewees, wasn't able to meet with everyone. I wish HR would have known this.

Interview Questions

• What is the impression of US Steel in the community?   1 Answer

IT Interview

Interview

I applied on their career site in early October of 2016. Got an email mid November to have either a phone or in person interview (I did phone). About a week and a half later I got a call for a different interview for a slightly different position. That interview was in person in Pittsburgh. About a day later I got a call for an offer.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

1st Interview - Phone or in person (Two Managers)
    I chose in person, lasted under an hour.
    2nd Interview - Phone (Supervisor)
    This one lasted around 50 minutes.
    Both interviews didn't seem long. Friendly folks. Felt comfortable talking in both interviews.

From Recruiting Department, Security who works at front desk, to the Managers and Supervisors. Phenomenal people. I only dealt with the company for a month and a half, everyone has been friendly and helpful. I applied 10/21, received an interview invitation 11/10, had interview a few weeks later. After first interview, I received a call for another interview. Following I was offered, then accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Great.

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview was mostly casual. I had two separate interviews scheduled for me when I arrived with no follow ups afterward. I arrived in a room with other interns scheduled for interviews on that day and we were called one by one by our respective interviewers and taken elsewhere.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview

Applied both through their corporate site and through my university's site. Visited them at a career fair. Later on had an on campus interview followed by 2, 45-minute interviews at their corporate site in Pittsburgh

Interview Questions

• Why U.S. Steel? What do you know about the steel industry? Name a time when you....   Answer Question

Interview

I had an onsite interview with USS and recieved and accepted an offer within a week. However after passing a drug screening, physical etc... the company never responded to my multiple phone calls asking for a start date. They finally did get in touch months later to tell me all new hiring was on hold until market conditions approve. If you plan on working for USS be aware of how they treat potential employees.

Interview Questions

• Scenarios based questions where you explain your skills and how they relate to the job   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moon Township, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at United States Steel (Moon Township, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

After an email from my department of engineering at my school telling me that U.S steel was looking for students, I emailed my resume to the email that was provided from the woman who sent out the mass email. About a week later, I got an email about an interview with U.S steel. As I was in my interview the two men who interviewed me were very calm and easy going. They asked me a few casual questions then onto the more engineering ones concerning my classes. Then I was done and did not hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a time when something was broken and you had to figure out a way to fix it?   Answer Question

Systems Repair Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL).

Interview

Took about 3 weeks total. Applied and state employment office. Called in for pre-employment testing called back for job specific testing. called back for an interview. interviewed by the department head and the maintenance manager. decent questions, not stressful. They were men who worked maintenance for years o it was a pertinent interview

Interview Questions

• What sort of equipment did I have experience with, describe my past job. How dod I think I would do in their environment.   1 Answer