United States Steel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

2.7

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moon Township, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at United States Steel (Moon Township, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

After an email from my department of engineering at my school telling me that U.S steel was looking for students, I emailed my resume to the email that was provided from the woman who sent out the mass email. About a week later, I got an email about an interview with U.S steel. As I was in my interview the two men who interviewed me were very calm and easy going. They asked me a few casual questions then onto the more engineering ones concerning my classes. Then I was done and did not hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a time when something was broken and you had to figure out a way to fix it?   Answer Question

Systems Repair Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL).

Interview

Took about 3 weeks total. Applied and state employment office. Called in for pre-employment testing called back for job specific testing. called back for an interview. interviewed by the department head and the maintenance manager. decent questions, not stressful. They were men who worked maintenance for years o it was a pertinent interview

Interview Questions

• What sort of equipment did I have experience with, describe my past job. How dod I think I would do in their environment.   1 Answer

Maintenance Electrician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Cumbersome, lengthy time wise. Started with computer submission, then phone interview, then written test of knowledge, then panel interview then physical. Took about a year total. It took a long time in-between each step. I'm not sure what else to say.

Associate Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Steel (New York, NY).

Interview

Prelim questions about veteran status and willing to take hair drug test, summarize my current position roles. It was quick and straight to the point. Interviewed with a recruiter

Interview Questions

• Why is it important to follow the safety rules at the plant   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pitts, PA).

Interview

Had to individually meet with a couple engineers and managers. They will ask you to make a technical presentation. Overall, the entire process can take up to a working day. You need to talk to the HR representative too.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about U. S. Steel?   1 Answer

Employee Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from their HR rep about two weeks later. HR contacted me via email three days prior to phone interview. Interviewer was prompt, professional and prepared. I received an email one week later stating that they appreciated my interest but have decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience influencing other managers.   1 Answer

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ecorse, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Ecorse, MI).

Interview

First started off with a phone screening with somebody with hr before being invited to the plant. There, I had 4 back to back interviews lasting about 30 I minutes a piece. Pretty laid back and not too technical. Mainly concerned if you're willing to work 50 hour work weeks with rotating shifts and safety. Only complaint really is that I had to pay for my hotel and car rental up front and it took an eternity to get reimbursed by the company.

Utility Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview was interesting to put it mildly, I applied online, then was invited to take a test on general knowledge, then received an email, saying that I would receive a phone call to set up an on the phone interview, i was called the next day, and had the interview. Then another email with a list of dates for a formal interview at the plant. I chose one that i was off, and selected it, thinking it would be the last i heard from USS, until that date, I was wrong, about 4 days later, I was out with a few of my friends playing pool and drinking and my phone rings, I answer it and it was a manger from USS, He apologized for calling and asked if we could reschedule the interview for the nest day at 10 am. I of course accepted and hung up. Finished shooting pool and had 1 or 3 more drinks. So i show up to the interview slightly hungover, thinking this is going to be absolutely horrible, I was wrong. The manger named Bill who meet me in the waiting area told me to walk into one of the interview rooms, and he would meet me in there in a second, Bill walked almost instantly shook my hand and then stats staring contest starts now, at this point im confused, so i sit down and Bill and I are just staring across the table from each other for about three minutes, then bill laughs and says that's how he breaks the ice, and then again apologized for the reschedule ,thanked me for dressing up, even though i didn't have to, and then asked me about 25 questions, most of which he answered for me. Then asked me if i had any questions, which i did not i knew what i was getting into. He stood up, shook my hand and said he would be right back with in a few minutes, Bill walked back in about 5 minutes later and said he liked my interview, and I had another interview, Right down the hall. I walked into another room and within a few minutes a lady walked in and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me one time, your employer changed a safety rule that you did not agree with, that caused you an inconvenience?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL).

Interview

Application including resume. Got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview. It was professional with light probing about past work experiences. The interviewer was very nice and described in greater detail what the job description was.

Interview Questions

• How much of a background in Chemistry I had.   1 Answer

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pitts, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pitts, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

I had to take multiple placement tests. I also had to meet with the recruiter. I was invited to the facility for a personal interview. Everyone was very nice and seemed to be really honest about what the goals for the whole process were. It took about half of a day to go through meeting everyone.