United States Steel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United States Steel Interview Questions

Interviews at United States Steel

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ecorse, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Ecorse, MI).

Interview

First started off with a phone screening with somebody with hr before being invited to the plant. There, I had 4 back to back interviews lasting about 30 I minutes a piece. Pretty laid back and not too technical. Mainly concerned if you're willing to work 50 hour work weeks with rotating shifts and safety. Only complaint really is that I had to pay for my hotel and car rental up front and it took an eternity to get reimbursed by the company.

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview process was long, but thorough. I met with several managers who provided a realistic job preview. I met with approximately 4-5 managers, each in a one on one setting. The interview process was lengthy and lasted approximately several hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult employee?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Houston, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

It was a Pretty simple interview. they were very straight forward and to the point. The questions were pretty standard visions of the future question and a review of qualifications.

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted of talking with 6 different people, done in batches of 2. So, there was three rounds of interviews, each lasting maybe half an hour. The questions were mostly behavior, describing situations and conflict resolution from previous experiences. Some of the questions were from a sheet of paper that the company had provided the interviewing panel with, but some were more just general inquires into my resume. After that, there was a tour of part of the steel plant, followed by a lunch at the plant's cafeteria. I accepted the offer while I was still in college and had set a start date after graduation. However, little did I know that US Steel was going to have financial problems to the extent that they kept pushing back my start date and finally rescinded the offer 9 months after I had accepted and 3 months after my original start date. I don't think I would accept an offer again given their business outlook.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when there was a disagreement in one of your projects and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Steel in December 2014.

Interview

Panel Interview with HR and two supervisors. No behavioral questions. Easy interview. Got an offer the same day. Very laid back didn't expect that going in to the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Had an interview at Penn State campus first. This is the initial screening. You then won't hear back till months later if they want you for the full interview. The interview is an all day thing..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Short phone interview with HR followed by an hour long, in-person interview with management and HR. Overall, the process took about 4-5 weeks. The phone interview was a typical phone interview, mostly just going over what is on your resume and going over basic questions about yourself. The in-person interview was quite casual with somewhat of a conversation vibe at times. This allowed both the interviewers and myself to get a good idea of what I had to offer and what the position entailed. However, the interviewers still asked the majority of the questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain to us a project you completed in a past internship or work assignment and the solution you found.

When have you found yourself in a leadership position?

Have you experienced a situation where there was miscommunication? What did you do to solve it?

Why do you think you would be right for this position? (Pretty much in any interview I have been in, no matter what the job is for, this question is always asked in some form. So, be ready for it.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL) in May 2011.

Interview

Had a telephone interview first. About a week and a half later, I was invited to spend a day at the plant for an in person interview. Arrived to plant. Changed into the steel toe boots and fire resistant uniform they provided. I toured several sections of the plant and had interviews with personnel from different departments. Some were1 on 1. Some were a group of people.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at United States Steel in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through my school. Interview consisted of behavioural questions and the lady was not smiling or welcoming at all. She asked me of a time a played a leadership role. What do I know about the company?

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel in March 2012.

Interview

I applied for a management position. After ten days I received a phone call and we set up phone interview. They asked question regarding what classes you have taken whats your favorite class. After Phone Interview they told me to come for on site visit.

Interview Questions

• All the question were very straight forward. After 1-1 Interview. I was told to wait for ten minute for another interview with someone else that was unexpected. They asked question like how you deal with adversity?   Answer Question