United States Steel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United States Steel Interview Questions

Interviews at United States Steel

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview process was long, but thorough. I met with several managers who provided a realistic job preview. I met with approximately 4-5 managers, each in a one on one setting. The interview process was lengthy and lasted approximately several hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult employee?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Houston, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

It was a Pretty simple interview. they were very straight forward and to the point. The questions were pretty standard visions of the future question and a review of qualifications.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at United States Steel in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through my school. Interview consisted of behavioural questions and the lady was not smiling or welcoming at all. She asked me of a time a played a leadership role. What do I know about the company?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL) in October 2012.

Interview

The interview began around seven in the morning with them giving you a basic run down of events that will occur throughout the interview. The mill I interviewed at was hiring for the pipe mill and the flat roll mill, so you interviewed with management from both plants. Expect to be interviewed by four or five different people at each plant. The whole interview process felt like a check the box process for every person that interviewed you and then it was pass them off to the next person.

Interview Questions

• Can you get onto someone that has been here for 30 years for doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel in March 2012.

Interview

I applied for a management position. After ten days I received a phone call and we set up phone interview. They asked question regarding what classes you have taken whats your favorite class. After Phone Interview they told me to come for on site visit.

Interview Questions

• All the question were very straight forward. After 1-1 Interview. I was told to wait for ten minute for another interview with someone else that was unexpected. They asked question like how you deal with adversity?   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview

Interviewing managers seemed distant, concerned about what's happening at the plant, instead of what's going on in the interview. When I asked questions about their safety record, I got glossed over answers.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected - How did my college class in journalism help me prepare for the interview?
      Most difficult - Who (professor) influenced me the least at college?   Answer Question

Some questions I asked were not answered straightforwardly. Interviewing manager kept looking around for clues on the wall.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview

Only had a phone screen so far. It was pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions

• Did you participate in extra curricular activities in College? Follow up: Did you play any leadership roles in them?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for US Steel?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you? What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite class in college? What was your least favorite? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2011.

Interview

Questions were asked regarding education and work experience. Along with favorite and least favorite University course.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2009.

Interview

The hiring process was quite slow, with multiple people performing long interviews. Some individuals had poignant questions filtered into the mix of the typical interview script, while others didn't appear to even appear to know what the job truly entailed (should've been my first clue not to consider their offer).
    After the tedious interview process, I had to wait weeks to hear anything.

Interview Questions

• I usually go into an interview process inordinately prepared and did not consider any the questions I received to be difficult or unexpected (unexpected would require originality or creativity which is in very low supply with USS). This also should have been a major warning not to accept their offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was thrown a lowball offer initially. I immediately countered and received a slow counter (slow is a watchword with this company). After I rejected their counter I actually received a revised offer with some speed which was still unsatisfactory. They countered again, but it was so slow I actually had to call them and tell them I was going to accept another job offer the following day if they wanted to try to counter again. They gt back to me that same day and I accepted (never should have- I should've taken the other offer and run!).