United States Steel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United States Steel Interview Questions

Interviews at United States Steel

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in August 2012.

Interview

very basic of resume review, then walk the floor. After that off to lunch with a little chit chat then you might get an offer. Most companies use the STAR interview method however this one did not.

Shift Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel in December 2012.

Interview

Took a very long time

Shift Manager Interview

Interview

I interviewed with the interview manager, was asked about long hours and working holidays. I was given a driving tour after the interview was over of the plant and facility. Very interesting to see after having grown up around here my whole life

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when I was challenged and had minimal resources. How did I overcome this and what were the results?   1 Answer

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pitts, PA).

Interview

Had to individually meet with a couple engineers and managers. They will ask you to make a technical presentation. Overall, the entire process can take up to a working day. You need to talk to the HR representative too.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about U. S. Steel?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a bit hectic, and it seemed rushed. There was no follow up after last phone screen.
    I was called in response to submitting my resume online via LinkedIn's job post and screened for about 5 minutes before being set up for a scheduled phone screen the following week with another HR contact. From there I was set up for a second phone interview with the HR Lead/Hiring Manager. I never heard back from both phone screens. Obviously, I wasn't selected but it would have been a great courtesy to communicate that to me after spending time learning about the company and the position.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have being a strategic partner to the general manager for a sales team?   Answer Question

Hourly Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ecorse, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Ecorse, MI) in March 2010.

Interview

You must take an assessment test, math skills, literacy skills, mechanical skill and space relations. If you pass those tests then you take an ethics test. After a couple of months you get an interview. If you get past the interview process, you will be scheduled for a physical and a drug test (urine and hair) and they watch you as you take your urine test. If after all of this if you pass, they contact you for training before you enter the plant.

Interview Questions

• This is a labor intensive workplace, what can you contribute as a woman in what is generally considered as a mans job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, just assigned to a work area, and whatever that job paid you got.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel in February 2015.

Interview

First round was a phone interview and then an onsite interview, onsite interview was technical. The technical round was easy and difficulty level was very low. Easy to crack interview but confidence plays a major role.

Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL) in January 2011.

Interview

long and lengthy , took 2 months from start to finish. had to do it in stages and was not the most effective way. Phone and office interviews were rushed, if you made it past that then you waited for another call to find out if you would even be able to take the next steps.

Interview Questions

• multi question tests and verbal interviews, you had phone and office interviews and then take a written test and then wait to see if you even qualified.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiating you either took the offer or not .

Product Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munhall, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at United States Steel (Munhall, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Preliminary phone interview with the hiring manager, lasted an hour, was then called a few days later for an in-person interview at the facility. Met with several people in the course of the interview, one person from HR, the Hiring Manager, and several of the guys on the team. Interview seemed pretty standard and was told would be partially behavior based. The managers tending to ask for examples of work experience in the areas required for the position and how I might be able to fit in to the team. Was given a tour of the facility and was required to give a short (20-30min) presentation on work I had done.

Interview Questions

• Several questions were asked related to projects I had previously done, what challenges I had encountered during those projects, and what I liked/dislike about the projects.
      Also some in the form of the following:
      Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years question?
      How do you think your skills/knowledge will help our company?
      In regards to the tour: what was the most interesting part of our facility to you?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Fairfield, AL) in January 2011.

Interview

Slow process. Had to interview with 5 different people some at the same time. Lots of questions but seemed like no one on the interviewing committee knew what they were talking about I got several different job descriptions for the same job(this should have clued me in) Wishwasy company. They asked me if I was interested in climbing the ladder due to my 3 degrees sure I wanted to climb the ladder but not at the expense of my family and life.

Interview Questions

• What did my life look like 10 years from now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

came in at a low ball offer and I went back with a counter and they said I can take it or leave it (after about 2 weeks waiting) but I explained that I had 10 years experience and Masters in electrical engineering, associate in accounting and BS in physics but that not seem to matter I guess i should have known better then take a job like this I have never had anyone say take it or leave it.