United States Steel Management Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United States Steel Management Associate Interview Questions

2.7

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Management Associate Interview

Interview

I had an onsite interview with USS and recieved and accepted an offer within a week. However after passing a drug screening, physical etc... the company never responded to my multiple phone calls asking for a start date. They finally did get in touch months later to tell me all new hiring was on hold until market conditions approve. If you plan on working for USS be aware of how they treat potential employees.

Interview Questions

• Scenarios based questions where you explain your skills and how they relate to the job   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for United States Steel

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ecorse, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Ecorse, MI).

Interview

First started off with a phone screening with somebody with hr before being invited to the plant. There, I had 4 back to back interviews lasting about 30 I minutes a piece. Pretty laid back and not too technical. Mainly concerned if you're willing to work 50 hour work weeks with rotating shifts and safety. Only complaint really is that I had to pay for my hotel and car rental up front and it took an eternity to get reimbursed by the company.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

VERY fast turnaround, phone interview, panel interview with 3 directors followed by a brief one on one with the General Manager. Offer came the next day. Pre-employment screenings dragged and included a physical and hair drug test. Overall a fairly painless process. Interview questions were standard and included a few technical questions. I know they have done more case study / present a solution after taking an hour to research type questions that people might not expect.

Interview Questions

• How familiar are you with analyzing financial documents like a 10-K?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Had an interview at Penn State campus first. This is the initial screening. You then won't hear back till months later if they want you for the full interview. The interview is an all day thing..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Short phone interview with HR followed by an hour long, in-person interview with management and HR. Overall, the process took about 4-5 weeks. The phone interview was a typical phone interview, mostly just going over what is on your resume and going over basic questions about yourself. The in-person interview was quite casual with somewhat of a conversation vibe at times. This allowed both the interviewers and myself to get a good idea of what I had to offer and what the position entailed. However, the interviewers still asked the majority of the questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain to us a project you completed in a past internship or work assignment and the solution you found.

When have you found yourself in a leadership position?

Have you experienced a situation where there was miscommunication? What did you do to solve it?

Why do you think you would be right for this position? (Pretty much in any interview I have been in, no matter what the job is for, this question is always asked in some form. So, be ready for it.)   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United States Steel in December 2014.

Interview

Panel Interview with HR and two supervisors. No behavioral questions. Easy interview. Got an offer the same day. Very laid back didn't expect that going in to the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted of talking with 6 different people, done in batches of 2. So, there was three rounds of interviews, each lasting maybe half an hour. The questions were mostly behavior, describing situations and conflict resolution from previous experiences. Some of the questions were from a sheet of paper that the company had provided the interviewing panel with, but some were more just general inquires into my resume. After that, there was a tour of part of the steel plant, followed by a lunch at the plant's cafeteria. I accepted the offer while I was still in college and had set a start date after graduation. However, little did I know that US Steel was going to have financial problems to the extent that they kept pushing back my start date and finally rescinded the offer 9 months after I had accepted and 3 months after my original start date. I don't think I would accept an offer again given their business outlook.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when there was a disagreement in one of your projects and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at United States Steel in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through my school. Interview consisted of behavioural questions and the lady was not smiling or welcoming at all. She asked me of a time a played a leadership role. What do I know about the company?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

Met USS at a on-campus career fair. Received a phone interview and then an on-site interview. The HR person setting stuff didn't seem to know what she is doing.

The on-site interview was at a steel mill. Included a HR presentation, steel mill tour, lunch, and three 1 on 1 interviews with various management from the different departments at the mill. You will be there with 5 or 6 other candidates.

The steel mill itself was very cool, which is why I was interested. The vibe I got from the interviewers was not good though. It would definitely be a tough place to work, long hours, and rough management. The unions at steel mills are bad. They were "locking" someone up when I was going through security.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview

Interviewing managers seemed distant, concerned about what's happening at the plant, instead of what's going on in the interview. When I asked questions about their safety record, I got glossed over answers.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected - How did my college class in journalism help me prepare for the interview?
      Most difficult - Who (professor) influenced me the least at college?   Answer Question

Some questions I asked were not answered straightforwardly. Interviewing manager kept looking around for clues on the wall.