UnitedHealth Group Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2017

2.8

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2017.

Interview

Convoluted. Arrogant phone interview followed by several rounds of interrogating me about why I chose to major in philosophy as opposed to a more "well-rounded" business subject. I was horrified that the HR rep was so obnoxious. No way in hell I'd ever work at UHG!

Interview Questions

• Why did you major in philosophy?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for this position as an internal applicant. The process took about a little over a month from when I applied to when I received the official offer. The first thing that happened was about a week after I applied, I received an email inviting me to complete an interview using HireVue. It consisted of some pretty basic background questions, "why are you looking to change roles"..."what strengths would you bring to this role"...etc. I completed this and about a week after this, the Hiring Manager reached out to me by email and set up a date and time for a phone interview where more of the specifics of the position were discussed and I was asked some more in depth questions about my background and experience (I.e. " tell me about a time when you...."). The questions were not terribly hard and I felt comfortable during the whole process as it just seemed more like I was having a conversation with someone who wanted to get to know me. About a week after this I was notified that I would be completing a 2nd phone interview with another manager, who asked very similar questions. A little over a week went by and I was notified by the first interviewer that the Director of the department wanted to interview me by phone. Again, the questions were fairly similar to my first 2 phone interviews I had but with some more in depth discussion about my experiences as related to this role. All of my phone interviews went really well and I felt great after each one. This was a telecommute position so there was not a face-to-face interview in this process. I spoke the Director on a Wednesday, mid morning, and by that same Friday afternoon I received a verbal offer from HR and a written offer the Monday after.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with starting a program from scratch.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since I was an internal applicant I knew what the salary ranges were for the different grade levels and my offer was right on par with that so there was no need for negotiation; I feel that I received a fair offer for my education level (Master's Degree), experience, and existing time in with the company.

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Richardson, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Have an interview with the hiring manager, then a panel interview, and if you are selected for the position there is several layers of on boarding. It is easy, but it definitely tedious & there are some items that are time sensitive (drug test).

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Very typical questions from a consulting perspective. The interviewers were all nice and polite and asked very open questions to see where I would take the response.

Interview Questions

• Please give an example of a time you went above and beyond what was asked of you to complete a task.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

Got recruited at campus. Attended career fair, 2 rounds of interviews and was given offer letter. Round 1 was behavioral and round 2 was more of a discussion on past experience, 'fit' . Interview questions were standard. Nothing unexpected or out of the ordinary.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

Phone interview and then asked back for two in-person interviews (same day).

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult; this was your average behavioral interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

A recruiter will call you and ask what you would like to make. After giving him an offer, he came back with a lower offer, which I accepted with a hiring bonus.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

Right from the start, I was able to meet with one of OptumInsight's consultants who took the time to not only communicate with me via e-mail, but also meet with me in person to discuss the topic of consulting and life as a OptumInsight employee. After that, I was able to have a phone interview that went fairly well. The woman was very amiable. Following that, I had an in-office interview where I met with several OptumInsight employees. Despite of their busy schedules and an oncoming snow storm, they came to the office eager to speak with me. Some advice that I'd offer to candidates would be to remain calm and be passionate about healthcare.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a consultant?   1 Answer

Negotiation

As an entry-level consultant, I received a fair offer, which I accepted. The company does offer some opportunity in how you invest your money and insurance options. Overall, I think you get a decent offer, especially in today's job market.

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in April 2012.

Interview

Submitted application in March, was interviewed two weeks later. Interview went well, was told that I should get a call within 72 hrs or get an e-mail that I'm not selected. None of it occurred. Eventually got e-mail that I was not selected.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online on a Saturday. An HR rep contacted me the following Monday for a phone interview. She interviewed me later that afternoon. The HR interview consisted of me telling her about my background, skills, and why I wanted to work for UHG. The HR rep advised she would recommend to the hiring manager to interview me. I had an interview with the manager that Friday. The interview consisted of a one hour skills assessment and one hour of behavioral interview questions. After interviewing with the hiring manager I interviewed with her boss and her bosses boss. The process only took 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you went above and beyond to get the job done.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The HR rep let it slip that they always offer a 10% increase over what you currently make so beware when releasing that information.

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group in January 2011.

Interview

Phone call from recruiter. Then follow-up call with hiring manager. Then 2-3 phone calls with senior leaders. Then job offer from recruiter.