UnitedHealth Group Medical Coding Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

Medical Coding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Baltimore, MD) in October 2014.

Interview

Medical coding positions that do not require the certification are virtually non-existent, except for UHG. I was extremely appreciative that this company is willing to take experienced coders that have not obtained the certifications, so I jumped at the chance to apply for this position. I completed the virtual interview (consists of three basic questions and you complete this using a webcam), had two phone interviews, and a face-to-face with a coding assessment(find codes and abstract a discharge summary). This process went smoothly and everyone was plenty to speak with....until I did the face-to-face. I interviewed with a male and female, and they were two of the stuffiest people I have ever interviewed for. Limp handshakes, never smiled, and didn't seem interested in interviewing me at all. Like they were just going the motions, and it was very intimidating for no particular reason. I knew within the first 5 minutes of sitting down that I wouldn't get the position. I tried to focus on my work ethic, my teamwork skills, and my ability to receive criticism and feedback, but I don't think it mattered.

I did also apply for the Junior Coder position, which is a position lower than the one I interviewed for, but I probably won't get that position either. I will consider re-applying at UHG, but not for Medical Coding positions, as that was the only negative part about the entire process. I feel that if the people interviewing me really didn't think I was that qualified, they shouldn't have contacted me.

Interview Questions

• In your opinion, what has been the most difficult issue regarding your coworkers.   1 Answer