UnitedHealth Group Senior Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UnitedHealth Group Senior Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Getting a job at United Health Group is a long process, but it can be done, so if you're interested in working here, don't give up.

I applied online to a ton of open positions - they have dozens of open project management positions at any given time. For one of these positions, I received an email from UHG recruiting inviting me to a digital interview (this email went to my spam folder in Gmail, so CHECK THE SPAM!!!). Upon receipt of the email, you have 48 hours to complete the interview.

The digital interview is awkward. I'm lucky enough in that I have a new desktop Mac with a webcam. This whole process would be tough to do on a tablet or smartphone.

I thought I royally screwed the digital interview up, as I stumbled on my answers and didn't think I was articulate enough. It's very awkward talking to yourself. Keep in mind though, most of the other candidates also think it's awkward, so if you blunder through some of the questions, don't fret too much. And SMILE!

The questions are pretty easy -- very basic interview questions ("Tell me why you want to work here" "describe one of the projects you managed") and there's only 5 of them but again, it's awkward! Make sure you dress up (I work my suit) and be mindful of any background clutter.

Apparently they liked me enough to proceed to the next round. The next round consisted of two phone interviews -- one with HR and one with the hiring manager. My hiring manager was located across the country, so there would be no in-person with her. The hiring manager didn't ask me any silly interview questions - it was just a conversation about my skills. Again, I thought I bombed it, but I must've done well, as about a week and a half later, I was invited for an in-person interview with two team members.

The in-person was a breeze. It didn't seem like an interview. I just had a conversation with two team members on-site, about what I'd be working on when I initially start the role. I knew I had the job when I left, as one of the team members said he would start the process with HR that afternoon.

The next day, I had an offer from the UHG recruiter by phone. They make an offer, and THEN they do the paperwork after you accept -- it's background check by an outside firm and a drug test (pee in a cup).

All in all, this whole process took about 2.5-3 months, from initial online app to my start date. It's a long process, but it's a huge company and if you want to work here, keep applying.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current position   8 Answers

UnitedHealth Group Response

Jan 26, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your comments. It is great to hear your feedback. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Other Interview Reviews for UnitedHealth Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Saint Louis, MO) in November 2016.

Interview

Submitted online application. Two-weeks later received email invitation to complete a digital interview.
    The experience was positive; they provide tips to make the most of your digital video interviewing experience. You are also able to take practice questions before the actual digital interview.

I do not know the outcome of the interview yet so I am not able to answer the Glassdoor question regarding an offer at this point.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you manage chaos?
      2. Explain the steps in managing a projects critical path. Please provide a example.
      3. How would you improve yourself personally or professionally?
      4. What are you looking for in your next role?
      5. How do you like to be managed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I received an employee referral from a fellow project manager within the same business segment. A week or so later, I was outreached by a Recruiter via email informing me that I had been selected to move forward. They then directed me to a link where I did a visual recording of my answers. This was very different and new to me but was pretty straight forwarded -- allowing me to show me interpersonal skills and put a face to the name. About four days later, the Recruiter followed up and we had a telephone conversation. Another week or so later, the Hiring Manager (my current boss) outreached to me and scheduled a call. The conversation centered around cultural fit, work experience, and work style. Cultural fit is stressed in the interviews. It's very collaborative and they want people who do not silo off. I passed this interview and then went to my manager's lead and had that conversation and this was more of a get to know me a conversation.

Right after this, I was selected to continue at which point I had a group interview with a few project managers. This was more challenging but the goal behind it was to evaluate whether or not I could handle the phone call, the peppering of questions, and the type of work that we will be doing.

I was extended an offer about four days later and set about negotiating my salary. I negotiated high and they met me high. I'm very happy here.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

If selected for an initial interview, be prepared to do a Virtual Video Interview so have a computer with a camera ready. Questions will appear on the screen and then you respond to screen.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group.

Interview

After completing the digital interview, I had three phone interviews over the course of three weeks. Process was quick and well organized. I enjoyed all of the people I interviewed with and was excited about the position, and was offered the job. Unfortunately, the salary offered was much too low to make up for the extremely expensive and less than impressive health insurance package, so I had to decline.
    When I called back to decline the offer, the recruiter asked if I'd consider a sign on bonus to make up for the low salary, to which I said yes. I was told she would discuss with the hiring manager and follow up with me - yet two days later I got a generic/system generated email letting me know the position had been filled.
    I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the way that was handled.

Interview Questions

• Explain your experience with project management. What is the most important aspect of project management? Along other typical interview questions I would have expected to be asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Eden Prairie, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was good with very direct questions. The in person interview wasn't very good. I was interviewed by two people who were not good interviewers. They asked questions that seemingly didn't have any thing to do with the job description. They had added very detailed requirements to the job. It was a waste of time since they interviewed for 3-4 days and never hired anyone.

Interview Questions

• What type of product project management have you done?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2015.

Interview

Video interview was submitted on line to you. You needed to answer questions then record answers. After that submit the video online. It was difficult at first to get used to doing a video of yourself answering their questions. They give practice opportunity so that helped a lot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minnetonka, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

I received an email saying, "Congratulations, you are invited to interview with UHG!" Was disappointed when I continued reading only to find that they wanted me to do a 'digital video' interview. For the digital video interview, I was to prepare as though it were a real in-person interview, log into some website and have a video recorded of the interview. The interview would consist of three questions. After each question, I would have 30 seconds to forumulate a response, and then three minutes to respond to the question. I opted NOT to do this, as I have privacy and security concerns with regards to having a digital video made of me that would be out of my control once recorded. I prefer to talk to people, not a web cam. The only good news of all this is that after I failed to respond to the request for interview, they sent me a survey asking me about the interview process experience, where I basically stated everything I said here, so maybe they will listen and stop using this ludicrous pre-screening method. It would be great if HR would take this survey response to heart, which would be amazing, but more likely I think they will be offended and find some reason why I wasn't a good candidate to begin with and mark me as a DO NOT HIRE. I heard nothing after submitting the survey. Never in the whole process did I talk with any recruiter or other representative from UHG. I think I can figure from this that UHG really doesn't care about its employees or their time. It's a guess on my part, but my intuition is usually pretty right on in this regard.

Interview Questions

• I would have been asked three questions, given 30 seconds to formulate a response, then three minutes to respond.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied to a bunch of positions at UHG and ended up with 3 digital interviews so far. The first 2 I received an invitation to interview digitally on a Friday, which was great because I could do them on the weekend, stress free and relaxed. The 5 questions I was given for each were appropriate and interesting, not at all complex. It wasn't a negative process at all - just really odd and different. However, after about 3 weeks I was told the positions were "No longer available". Not sure if that means they were filled or just cancelled. For positions I applied for but did not received a digital interview with, I was told they selected someone else.

The last digital interview I received was a on Wednesday, and you only have 48 hours to complete. That meant I had to work all day, deal with my family, and then finally make time to do the interview at 9-10 PM. I was exhausted and pretty sure I did not do my best because of it. On top of that, the questions were blasé, like the interviewer had no idea what a project manager did and was just trying to converse. If I had to do it again, I probably would have taken the afternoon off of work like a real face to face interview. Although, its kind of hard to justify using PTO when you just know you are being robo-interviewed. I have yet to hear back from this position.

Overall, I received no-go responses to applications for positions that were not exactly in my wheelhouse of expertise, and received the digital interviews for positions that I am well qualified for. In my perception, I feel they select candidates well but I'm not so sure about the whole digital interview process. I'd like to think that there is some value that stems from it, above and beyond the paper resume - but it doesn't seem like it. I really hope I don't get a request for yet another digital interview.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at UnitedHealth Group (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

All phone interviews - drive-by interviews from people who were peers and managers with simple questions from senior level technical resources with very little business acumen. They couldn't quite describe the role because each person had a different understanding of what they did.

Interview Questions

UnitedHealth Group Response

Oct 10, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Hi! Thank you for your feedback regarding our interview process. I'm sorry the people who interviewed you were not all on the same page regarding what the role would be. We strive to have complete... More