Unity Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in August 2020.

Interview

Unity has a great interview process, I know because I've been through this more than once. Everyone I've interviewed with is intelligent, humble, and kind. They don't ask you trick questions and are genuinely trying to assess if you would be a good fit on the team. The rejection at that time was done kindly and I didn't have any hard feelings. When they reached out for another role, I was excited about the opportunity. The team was cognizant that this was not my first interview experience with Unity and made sure that the process was as smooth and efficient as possible for me.

I haven't started my new role yet, but members of the team have already reached out to me to welcome me. I'm really excited about my offer and to start my career at Unity.
    The company is doing well (which is a great sell), but I'm most excited to work with such a great group of people.

Interview Questions

• Questions about your previous experience and how you would address hypothetical situations. Typical PM questions to understand how you work with engineers/stakeholders and how you develop your roadmap.

Nothing too hard, but they do ask thoughtful followup questions so you need to know your stuff.   Answer Question

Technical Artist Intern Interview

Interview

They asked about my experience with computer graphics and a variety of questions about how I would handle certain scenarios that could arise as a technical artist, like how to optimize a scene and create shaders.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Orlando, FL) in September 2020.

Interview

The first step was your typical Recruiter phone screen. I then moved on to the HM screen a few days later followed by a full day of interviews with Marketing, Engineering, and Product. The recruiter did a great job of letting me know what to expect at each stage of the process and was quick to provide me feedback after each stage.

Interview Questions

• Most interviews were very conversational and felt natural. Expect to to discuss who you roadmap and new product and new product ideas you may have in the give space you are interviewing for.   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative (SDR) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Austin, TX) in August 2020.

Interview

Let me preface the facts:
    Entirely remote interview process. Didn't have to leave my house for a thing.

5-star interview rating - they were EXTREMELY professional, timely, courteous, and thorough. You will not have your time wasted whatsoever.

Interview Difficulty - I chose difficult because the truth is, for a SDR position, this was difficult relative to the position. It is difficult ONLY if you make it to the third interview (will explain more below).

Here's the timeline I experienced:
    -They reached out via LinkedIn about the job opening. I accepted an intro call.
    -Had intro call with an HR manager. It was roughly half about the position, industry, and what Unity does as a whole. The other part was me sharing a bit about myself.
    -You will know if they chose to move forward on that call & if it's a good fit.

-2nd interview will be scheduled via email. In my case, I got the email within 24 hours and 2nd interview was days later.
    -2nd interview was with the SDR manager and a senior key accounts AE. This was 1 hour. Was scheduled to be 2x 30-minute interviews within that hour slot; however, it was both of them interviewing me simultaneously (in my opinion, I loved this as they fed off each other and it felt like the pressure was significantly relieved).
    -At the time of my interview, I was informed that there are two verticals to work under: gaming & AEC (architecture, engineering, and construction).
    -What was exceedingly impressive, was that they asked many questions to get a better feel for what vertical I would do best in. I mean they really helped dig deep so I would be more authentic in where I felt a better career trajectory would be.
    -During the second interview, I was offered the opportunity to move forward for a 3rd and final interview roughly a week later. No "we will get back to you and let you know if we want to move forward". Very clear progression and very linear.

-The 3rd interview was challenging because it was a presentation-style "interview" where I had 5-10 minutes to present alongside 4 other interview candidates, to a panel of 3 individuals in sales management/leadership, and 1 person representing HR. After the presentation, you will have a short Q&A specific to your presentation. After all the presentations, there was about 45 minutes for a general Q&A from both parties.  Total time was 2 hours.
    -You are given presentation instructions and a format to follow. 5 slides, 5-10 minutes.
    -The theme of your presentation was to be a recruiter representing Unity to attract potential future employees that are soon to graduate college. *This is not the thing you should have a "wing it" approach to. You will have some candidates that are extremely well prepared. One candidate was clearly not prepared and it was painful for everyone. Practice. Out loud. Multiple times.*
    -They are very welcoming and understanding. They are excellent at allowing you to save face if you make mistakes or have technical problems. Don't stress. Candidates bombed parts of their presentation or answers during the Q&A, but the Unity team quickly eliminated any awkwardness or pressure. You know that super helpful & understanding college professor that wanted everyone to get A+'s in their class? That's the vibe of the 3rd interview.

-You will be told a very generic, end of the interview, "we will get back to you within the next week or so". Don't worry. -I was called by the end of the day (was really about 2ish hours) that they wanted to hire me, pending reference checks.

My biggest advice: know your facts, do the research, and don't be typical.

Typical = many are going to treat this like some fact-based, boring report. "here's Unity's core-values, here's some company stats, this is what our technology does."What I did/recommend: YouTube "best graduation speches", TED talks, etc. You will see themes and find inspiration for an effective method to present. Your job is to blow their socks off, not sound like a boring science project. (This scene was what largely inspired mine Jared Vennett's Pitch to Front Point Partners (Jenga Blocks Scene)
    -Here's a link to my presentation.")
    -I focused HEAVILY on storytelling and relating EVERYTHING to concrete concepts/things that gave a purpose for my facts.
    -I also made it a theme with a structured cadence. 3 main points about Unity expressed/paralleled to hockey (skate to where the puck is), Godzilla (how unity is crushing competition right now), and wind/sailboats (direction in life as an undergrad). Super random, but it made it entertaining, memorable, and got some laughs. This is a sales role so storytelling is a must.
    -Get a canva pro subscription and you can make a killer slide deck for this presentation or hire someone on Fiverr. Appearance matters. They notice.

Expect to dedicate 12-20 hours to make something that stands out.

Overall, amazing interview process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Seattle, WA) in August 2020.

Interview

Email, phone call, coding test, 5 - 1 hr interviews all online

Very confusing and frustrating. Started out well and did not get the first job. The issue was that I did not get the job because of a lack of a certain skill. They knew this before I interviewed. So why interview? Then I was set up on another interview as they liked me as a candidate. Call went well, but I think we both knew it was not a good fit. Then I was supposed to interview again and although I appreciated them trying to find a place for me, it was frustrating because I didn't get job descriptions nor context and really did not understand what was going on. I pulled myself out before the third interview. I could not manufacture skills and it all seemed a waste of time. Although everyone said that they did not need certain skills, that's the reason I was given. Recruiter was nice, but tough to work with. I wrote them my concerns and left the process after a month in the system.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest technical challenge so far, describe in detail?   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Seattle, WA) in August 2020.

Interview

My 6 interviews were among the most enjoyable I've ever had. The interviewers were relaxed and the interviews were more like conversations, and never the typical tell-me-about-a-time-when set of questions.

Senior Technical Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in August 2020.

Interview

An initial screening call, followed by a slightly accelerated video loop with team members locally and overseas. Met both people I would be managing and people I'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• (Management) Describe a management situation that went wrong, and what you did to correct it.   Answer Question
    • (Management) How to do you get balance autonomy and coordination in a technical art team?   1 Answer
    • (Management) Describe your management philosophy and goals   1 Answer

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Austin, TX) in August 2020.

Interview

My job was recently impacted by Covid at the end of July so I reached out to my network and was happy to hear from an old co-worker of mine that his company (Unity Technologies) was hiring. He went on and on about how great it is working there and how much he's been enjoying being a recruiter there. He says that he thinks that I should put in for the Sr Recruiter role and refers me. I receive an email in a day from the recruiter who would be conducting my initial phone screen to get me scheduled. So far so good.

The day of the interview the interviewer calls me and seems polite enough. She starts the call by asking me about why I'm looking for a role. I explain to her that my previous role was eliminated due to Covid which is why I'm actively looking. She then goes into asking about my role at my company previous to my most recent role which was eliminated in Feb 2020, also due to Covid (no mention from the interviewer about how hard that must have been or any degree of sympathy shown here). Next she then goes back before my two most recent roles to the company that I've worked at longest in the past 5 yrs and asks why did I leave that company and I tell her that I left because my team (3 people) was eliminated. I was encouraged to apply to different roles within that company but that it was during a time when there was a hiring freeze and there were no other jobs that fit my specific career trajectory (technical recruiting). She then immediately after me telling her that asks me "What would (company name) say if I were to call and ask them why you left their employ?" I was completely flabbergasted and couldn't believe that she was asking me this again in a different way to, I guess, try and trip me up?

As a recruiter who has facilitated countless phone screens and in person interviews I understand that some interviewers will ask questions in a certain way to see how you respond to stressful situations but this seemed excessive especially given that I'm a referral candidate who meets the qualifications for this role and that we are currently in a pandemic. I tried to keep my cool and not get defensive and answered that I'm not sure what they would say since employment laws state that businesses legally are only able to state the duration of time I worked there and nothing more or less. I also stated that I have multiple letters of reference that I can provide to support my claims about what happened if there is any doubt or requirement for that.

At the end of the call she asked me what my salary requirements are and I answered that I depends on the scope of responsibility of the role and whether the role is a contract or full time position. She answered that the role would be a 6 month contract. I then told her the rate that I was paid most recently. She then asked me, without any kind of understanding/empathy, if I would be open to a rate that is $8/hr less than what I was making in my most recent role. I guess in her mind I was probably lying about what I was making and she thought that I'm desperate enough to take anything at this point since my job has been eliminated twice this year.

As a fellow recruiter I understand doing your due diligence and asking hard questions but I also understand that we are in a time where people's jobs and livelihoods are being impacted due to no fault of their own. I thought there would have been some empathy shown for me having my roles impacted twice this year due to Covid but instead I was met with skepticism regarding why my roles ended and whether I'm being truthful regarding answers I've just given to you about why I'm looking for employment. This was a truly disappointing experience especially given that I had someone on the inside advocating for me and telling me they thought I'd be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me your metrics and KPIs in your most recent roles   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Unity Technologies in August 2020.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to better understand my experience and to gauge my interest in a role they had an opening for. Outside of the recruiter call there was a total of 5 interviews, and a presentation that they asked I prepare. I felt that all the interviewers were prepared to discuss the role and address questions. The recruiter I worked with, Imelda, was amazing. She was very responsive, clearly communicated, and was very pleasant to work with.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in August 2020.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter followed up 3 weeks later.
    Call with recruiter (30 mins)
    Zoom with Manager (30 mins)
    Data-related assignment
    Zoom with 5 different team members (30 mins each)
    I was asked for my references 2 days after team interviews and received an offer a week after that.

Overall, I enjoyed the interview experience and the recruiter and team members were transparent and responsive.