Unity Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied for a Software Test Engineer position at Unity in Bellevue, Washington.

*Applied for position through the Unity website. Received an automated confirmation, was contacted by a recruiter 5 days later to schedule a phone call.

*After talking to the recruiter, scheduled a phone call with a Test Manager a couple of days later. After talking to the test manager, I received a Coding work sheet with a number of computer science and coding questions. The work sheet had to be returned within 2 days. Work Sheet requires you to write a couple of programs, with automated tests, and submit the code.

*After turning in work sheet, had a Google Hangouts interview with Head QA manager of North America. A few days later I received and invitation for on-site interview.

*On-site interview consisted of of 3 interviews with 2 developers or testers at a time. Question topics: educational background, previous work experience, preferred work environment, computer science, test strategies, working with developers, and game industry experience.

*Received an offer the following day.

Overall, everyone I talked to was friendly and professional. The whole interview experience was pleasant and I was informed what was happening at every step along the way. Along with technical abilities, cultural fit is a topic that came up many times. Being familiar with Unity and having a Unity project posted on the Unity Connect website was a plus. I was asked by every interviewer about my personal Unity project.

Interview Questions

• Unity has received an SDK for a new hardware device and is integrating it into the software. How would you test this?   Answer Question

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for sharing your interview experience and we're thrilled you've chosen to join the Unity team! Candidate experience is a top priority for us and this feedback on open communication is great ... More

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had one phone interview, followed by 3 in-person interviews over a course of a few days. The process was quite upsetting. The first interviewer learned about my passion about the company and tried to use it to suggest a much junior role with a 3 month testing period. I was hesitant at first but was willing to continue the interview if this position can lead to a PM role. After this interview, I met an HR and discussed how the chat went and she agreed that it's rather odd considering my skill sets and previous experiences. I had one more interview with a couple of people at once, and now one of the interviewers shared with me that the junior role that I was offered wouldn't lead to the position at the end of the interview. Overall, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Senior Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Their process was straightforward and quick. Had 1:1 with Senior Director of the team, scheduled onsite the following week, received offer the next day. Each onsite interview was roughly 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, Design, 2D matrix recursion, thread safety.   Answer Question

Tech Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Unity Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, then about a day later was contacted by a recruiter there. We set up a phone interview. 15 minutes before the interview she emailed me to reschedule for another day. When we did speak, it was clear to me that she knew nothing about the position. Her questions were very robotic as if she were reading them off of a paper. I got the sense that she didn't really understand what she was asking me which also made me think she couldn't truly understand my responses. When she asked if i had any questions, she also added that I shouldn't ask anything too specific or technical because she doesn't know. I asked if there were other tech writers at the company (since clearly they already had documentation up on their site) and she said, "good question, and that's not the first time i've been asked it, but I really don't know."
    After our talk she said she would get back to me early the next week after touching bases with the hiring manager and she didn't. I reached out to her a few days after and she replied saying my interview went really well but they were going to move on with someone else. It's a shame because I feel like she wasn't qualified to be evaluating applicants and i don't trust that she represented me well to the hiring manager. She clearly hadn't done her homework on the position either.

Interview Questions

• She pretty much just added a question mark to each of the bullet points of requirements on the job post   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Unity Technologies in February 2017.

Interview

Found the position online, Applied on their website Jan 25th. Got an email on Feb 5th for availability for a phone interview which we scheduled for Feb 8th. and got an onsite invite for the 15th.

Interview Questions

• The interview was pretty much "getting to know you" and a little bit more of the job related questions already discussed during the phone interviews.   Answer Question

Mar 13, 2017 – Unity Technologies

Welcome to Unity and thank you for your review!

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Austin, TX).

Interview

Was approached by their recruiter via LinkedIn. They asked me for a good time to call, then never called. A month went by, then they called at time that worked for them.
    There were a few quick questions, then I was told I'd need to take a 4 hour technical exam before I could talk to someone who could make hiring decisions.
    At this point, I ended the recruiting process - If they want 4 hours of time before they'll even talk to a candidate, how will they treat me if I get hired?
    Turns out, this kind of "Are you a door mat?" hiring practice is quite common - Check out the Forbes website for the "Ten Kinds of Abuse No Job-Seeker Should Tolerate" article (would put the link here, but that will get this review rejected).

Interview Questions

• When can you take our 4 hour screening test?   1 Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter messaged me about interviewing for a software test engineering position in the San Francisco office. The entire process was rather involved - it consisted of several phone screens, a programming assignment which I spent something like 6 hours on, and an ~5hr on site interview. Given this, I find it extremely unprofessional that it's been something like 3 weeks since I interviewed, and I haven't heard anything back from Unity - no offer, no rejection, no updates, nothing. So I hope my experience can be a tale of caution for others who are considering to apply here - think twice before investing a lot of time in a programming test and/or taking a day off of work to interview there.

Interview Questions

• Find C++ related issues in printed-out code (copy constructor, const correctness, virtual destructor, etc)   Answer Question

Systems Applications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Good process overall. Phone interview with the recruiter then an onsite with the entire team. I was extended an offer eventually. However, the onboarding experience was terrible. I had to create a few accounts to esign documents and then their background check provider asks for previous W2s to help them complete checks (never experienced that before from a vendor). And filling out additional forms through GDocs...not a very unified system experience. I was eventually turned down after the fact due to a family issue that came up the week of hire. Not a very friendly workplace it seems - sounds like they will run you into the ground.

Interview Questions

Unity Technologies Response

Mar 6, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. Due to our rapid growth we are working hard to unify all our systems and processes and several of the items you're describing only occur in situations with extenuating ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Technical interview: Made the appointment one day before the interview. Interviewer called on time and sounded very friendly. Asked about projects on resume and technical questions related to the skills used in the projects.

Interview Questions

Unity Technologies Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for the review, and glad to hear that your process was managed quickly.

Senior VR Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Probably one of the best engineering interview processes I've had. Very little whiteboarding; it was mostly 2-on-1 hour long sessions where I was asked about my work ethic, C++ knowledge, or to discuss previous work. Questions were generally open-ended and a platform for lengthy discussion.

The most technical part was a take-home "bug hunt", where I was given some faulty C++ code prior to the interview and asked to identify issues and suggest solutions. We spent the first 1 - 1.5 hours discussing the code and my changes.

The turnaround was also very quick; I had an offer the day after I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Rate your C++ expertise on a scale of 1-10. Discuss why.   Answer Question

Jan 16, 2017

Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the Unity family!