Unity Technologies Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Unity Technologies Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Unity Technologies

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Orlando, FL) in May 2020.

Interview

Overall, it was a multi-stage interview process. It started with a zoom meeting with a Unity Recruiter (who was great through the whole process). After passing that, they had me conduct a coding test on the codility website. The test consisted of two questions and you have a 1:30 to accomplish them. From there, I had face to face interviews (well in my case, due to covid-19, I had 4 zoom interviews). These consisted of two coding interviews with other software engineers, a design interview, and then an interview with the hiring manager. Each of the interviews were an hour in length. After that I had a subsequent talk with the group engineering manager, my references were checked, and I was offered the job.

The interview questions were difficult but fair. I highly recommend reading books like "Cracking the Coding Interview", and practicing problems on sites like leetcode.com to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Unity Technologies

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unity Technologies.

Interview

Applied online, received an email for recruiter phone screen after several weeks. Scheduled a phone interview a few days later. After the phone screen interview, I received a coding test. After passing the coding test, had an interview with one of the senior engineers of the team

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Unity Technologies.

Interview

Unity doesn't respect candidates. I was refereed by an employer, and hr scheduled a phone interview. But I didn't receive any call or email even one week after the scheduled time.

Interview Questions

• I scheduled a phone interview with one hr. However she didn't call me. She even didn't reply my email and linkedin message. One week passed. I didn't have any new message. I have to say it the most terrible experience in my job seeking progress.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unity Technologies.

Interview

I only got a phone interview with HR. I was asked about some behavior questions and everything went on well. But then it seems they decided not to move forward with my application.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unity Technologies in January 2019.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted by a recruiter who then scheduled a call to go over the interview process and other details about the particular role and team. Recruiter was very helpful in getting my technical phone interview scheduled within a couple of days as I was actively interviewing with other companies as well.

The Technical phone interview was with the Hiring manager. For the first 10 minutes he asked questions on my resume and previous experience.
    Then he asked me to share my screen and use any IDE of my choice to solve the coding problem. The problem was pretty straight forward. Initially I solved it using recursion. Then I pointed out that it could be improved by using dp (additional memory) and wrote code for that. After that he pointed out that I could use even less memory to which I gave a thought and modified my solution to achieve that. I noticed more than few times that the interviewer was looking at his laptop scree and smiling ans wasn't attentive. Many times I had to check with him if he was able to hear me and had to repeat my answers.
    It was almost time and he had another additional question to which I mentioned that I should use the earlier recursive approach to solve this. I repeated this statement twice and finally when the interviewer heard me he said 'oh i think you can use the recursive approach you used earlier to solve this'. To which I responded 'that's what I said just now'.
    It was almost time and he said that it's fine not to code, because anyway it was an additional question and he get the idea I was suggesting.
    Got an email from the recruiter after 2 days that they will not be moving ahead with my application. I emailed back asking for any feedback or reason (after having solved all the questions optimally) , but never heard back.
    It was disappointing to get rejected even though I was able to answer questions correctly.

Interview Questions

• Total number of ways to climb N stairs if you can climb 1 or 2 steps at any point.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Overall great experience. The process consisted of a recruiter call, manager/team lead call, take-home test, and on-site interviews. The process went REALLY quickly for me. I generally knew the outcome of each interview/step within 1-2 days. Everyone was very kind, and I actually had a lot of fun during my on-site interviews. Yes, I said the interviews were *fun*.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in June 2018.

Interview

HR replies faster than any company I know. All the interviewers are very friendly and helpful. Like this company.

round1 - HR talk about background.
    round2 - technique phone interview. Algorithm.
    round 3- technique phone interview. coding skill.
    round 4- on site. system design, behavior questions, and coding. 3 rounds.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies in June 2018.

Interview

I got rejected after third round with Unity Technologies for the position of Software Engineering position under Infrastructure Team in Seattle. I got a call 3 weeks back from the Recruiter. First was phone screen, where I was asked 7 questions on Java and Linux (one-line answers) and why I want to work at Unity. After a week, I had second round of interview with the Technical Manager, and I was asked 3 medium coding problems and was expected to give approach of all three in 30 mins. (10 mins each). Third round took place after two weeks by the same Technical Manager, where in I was asked to solve one problem designed by the company and had to implement a method to print the output(coder pad). The Technical Manager who took my interview was really good, I got hints if I made any mistake with the approach.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Unity Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was a very nice experience with Unity! I lived out of state at the time and they flew me in and set me up with a nice hotel. The interview itself also went great, everyone involved was super friendly and nothing felt confusing or overwhelming. I had a nice lunch in house with members from the team I'll be working with, it felt like a nice mix of casual and professional.

Interview Questions

• Typical technical whiteboard problems for a software engineer.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Unity Technologies in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online at Indeed.com, and in a few days a recruiter reached out to me with an email for scheduling a phone screen. The phone screen was about a half hour long, and the recruiter was really nice. I could tell she loved working at Unity and she told me all about the culture which sounded great. We talked about the projects on my resume and about my other work experience, I asked questions, and by the end of the call we scheduled the next interview, a coding interview, with the hiring manager.
    The interview was over the phone with Coderpad where the manager shared an editor with me. He gave me a description of the problem to solve and told me to implement two methods in any language. The code had to compile so that we could run it against a few tests. At the end I got to ask a few questions and the manager was really friendly and open to scheduling more time for other questions I had. By the end of the interview the manager told me that he wants to bring me in onsite, and that I should hear from the recruiter soon.
    The recruiters emailed and I gave them my availability for the onsite, and they sent me all the information and told me they will reimburse me for any parking costs. When I got onsite I had 4 interviews, two of which were with two interviewers at once. They asked basic questions about my experiences and projects to get to know me, and we talked a lot about what the team does. Everyone was very friendly and really seemed to enjoy their work and being at the office, and also they had catered food, which apparently they have catered every day. It was delicious! The interviews really felt more like a discussion about my experiences and how it connects to the teams work and just learning more about the team and company. It never felt like they were trying to grill me with questions, and I think culture fit/team fit was a big factor they were considering during these interviews. The people at Unity were just really fun and smart people, great meeting and talking to them.
    My onsite interview was in the middle of the week and by the end of that week the recruiter scheduled time to call and called me to tell me about the decision. The recruiters are very responsive and quick!
    Unity has to be my best interview experience ever, and I've had different interviews at a few different companies.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider when you think about scaling a system?   Answer Question