Universal Studios Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 1, 2017

2.7

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Universal Studios.

Interview

Phone interview. Asked the usual questions you typically get at an interview. Make sure to sound peppy and energetic. Will give you a call back if you got the job.

Retail Sales Clerk/Ride Operator for Harry Potter World Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Universal Studios (Universal City, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

(Leaving gender out from interviewer to keep them anonymous)

In 1st interview, interviewer called a couple minutes early which was fine and asked whether I was ready even though s/he called early (I was). S/he first started off with asking about my availability, then went into the appearance guidelines (do I have a tattoo, natural hair coloring, etc), then asked me about what I do in my current job, why I wanted to work at Universal, what was my favorite ride at Universal, and if I had any questions. As long as you sound upbeat and confident and have a draft of how you might answer (don’t read from them!) you should be fine for the phone interview.

In 2nd inteview, I arrived 15 min early as said in my email, where I waited about 10 min until the receptionist guided me to the other office where I waited another 10-15 min where I watched “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” with other people waiting to be interviewed.

Then I was taken to the next room where a few others were being interviewed in (like closed in booths so you can’t hear anyone else). The interviewer first asked me about my availability and whether I had tattoos like in the first interview. Then we talked about guest service questions then moved on to relatively easy Harry Potter questions (as long as you watch all the movies and read all the books). Then s/he proceeded to tell me that the position I wanted (retail at HP World) was all filled but presented me different options (Starbucks in USH or ride operator in HP World) so I chose the ride operator because it was Harry Potter World or bust for my case. S/he had me reschedule for another interview that same day three hours later.

In the third interview, it was basically the same process. They just asked a few more in-depth questions like whether I’ve been to Universal, etc. After 10 minutes it was done. I assumed I didn’t get the job because apparently you are offered the job right after and that it didn’t happen.

I advise you choose an interview date and time to the earliest date after your phone interview because they filled all of the positions for retail clerk at HP World two days before I was even going to interview which is why I had interviewed for the ride operator position.

Senior Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Universal Studios.

Interview

Got an email stating they'd like to interview. I set up a time for the following week. HR called hours before the agreed time and said she over scheduled. Set up a new time for several days later only to have her miss that interview too. Very inconsiderate and unorganized. Had to follow up via email and phone and when I finally connected I was blown off. Very disappointing.

Food Cart Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Universal Studios (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day asking if I could book a time and day for a phone interview, which I booked for two days later. The interviewer called me exactly 15 minutes before the scheduled time (which the emailed warned of) and lasted only about five minutes. He asked me some basic questions like availability, "why do you want to work at Universal", and a situational question, then offered me a second, in-person interview. I received an email within a minute giving me and appointment time for less than a week later at the Talent Office at USH. On that day, I walked into the Talent Office about 15 minutes early and signed an availability confirmation form, then sat down with some other applicants for less than five minutes. Then the guy called about three of us and took us to another waiting room, where we discovered we were each interviewing for different jobs. We each got called up individually within 10 minutes to three separate interviewers. The last that interviewed me was very nice, asked me general questions and then moved onto situational questions. Then she told me about a few different jobs that she thought I would work really well in and had me choose a first and second choice, then she said she really liked my application and would hire me on the spot if she could, and that she would call me in a week and let me now if I officially got the job. The interview itself was about 15-20 minutes and really easy.

Costume Skilled Craft Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Universal Studios (Universal City, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was pretty simple, we talked about my resume and then she asked what my strengths were. Most of the time we talked about what all the job entails. She was very nice and friendly. I brought in work that I had done, and she looked over it. Then I did the sewing test, which was a lapped zipper, and a half bodice with neck facing and hand sewn sleeve hem. The sewing test was timed and unfortunately I didn't watch the clock and therefore did not complete it in time.

Attractions Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Universal Studios (Hollywood, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone interview (15 min), then I came in for the in person. Asked to come early, but still had to wait 20 min. Asked to come back in two hours for second round.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult guest   1 Answer

Attractions Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Universal Studios in December 2016.

Interview

I came in through the human resources building, went through security, filled out some paperwork and was told to sit and wait. Watched Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets while i waited. I was called within 10 minutes and taken to a cubicle. The interview was nice and easy, though the question that hurt my chances was am i willing to ride every ride in the park? Not a huge fan of coasters i said no. I'm not denied a position at universal yet, they are going to look to see if i can fit in at food and beverage services, and they told me to reapply in 90 days if i don't hear back from them. I wish i knew about the ride thing before i applied. If i don't hear back within 90 days i'm reapplying with a different job in mind

Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Universal City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Universal Studios (Universal City, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was very professional but welcoming and friendly, not stressful.
    About your career, background and a lot about you and your wishes.
    Not lot of time waiting, math test very easy, just in case you apply for cashier.
    It is a one to one interview, about 15 minutes.
    They ask you some questions about Univwrsal, just one in fact the date of the creation of the studios, and your favorite attraction, why do you like Universal company and why do you want to work for them.

Interview Questions

• Question about the date of the creation of universal studios and my favorite universal film   1 Answer

Market Research Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Universal Studios (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. They asked me my previous experience related with the role. Job reqiurements are standing for long hours and good written and verbal communication skills because you will conduct lots of surveys with people throughout the day. Shifts starts really early( like 6 am) and finishes really late (like 2 am) . So you should have a car and live close by. In the end they test your typing skills which was really easy too.

Vacation Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Universal Studios (Orlando, FL) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got an email to schedule an interview the very next day. I scheduled my interview for the HR office and waited about an hour to be called for my 1-1 interview.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for Universal Studios. Afterwards, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to continue because I have a small wrist tattoo.   1 Answer